or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Give your best advice to an expecting father
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Give your best advice to an expecting father - Page 14

post #196 of 354
Just get him his bed; eventually, he'll get into a sleep pattern from being tired. It won't be perfect, but it will happen.

This is what boys do, period. They climb in, they climb out, they climb just for the sake of climbing, even when there's no hope of every going anywhere. When I was exactly that age, I pushed my wooden toybox (two feet by three feet, with a lid) up to my tallboy dresser. I then climbed on the toybox, then over onto the metal swivel handles on the dresser front. I scaled the thing, got onto the top, and dumped baby powder all over myself. My mom heard me climbing down, came in, and found this tiny white ghost with bright blue eyes staring at her.

Another time, I pulled the drawers in the kitchen out and staggered them like steps. I then climbed up, got a Jell-O mold from a top cabinet and some other things, which I donned like armor. When Mom caught me, I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, standing up on the counter with my cookwear armor.

And that is what boys are like.
post #197 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
Just get him his bed; eventually, he'll get into a sleep pattern from being tired. It won't be perfect, but it will happen.

This is what boys do, period. They climb in, they climb out, they climb just for the sake of climbing, even when there's no hope of every going anywhere. When I was exactly that age, I pushed my wooden toybox (two feet by three feet, with a lid) up to my tallboy dresser. I then climbed on the toybox, then over onto the metal swivel handles on the dresser front. I scaled the thing, got onto the top, and dumped baby powder all over myself. My mom heard me climbing down, came in, and found this tiny white ghost with bright blue eyes staring at her.

Another time, I pulled the drawers in the kitchen out and staggered them like steps. I then climbed up, got a Jell-O mold from a top cabinet and some other things, which I donned like armor. When Mom caught me, I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, standing up on the counter with my cookwear armor.

And that is what boys are like.

Awesome.
post #198 of 354
Thread Starter 
Hilarious Teacher - and true.
post #199 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
Just get him his bed; eventually, he'll get into a sleep pattern from being tired. It won't be perfect, but it will happen.

This is what boys do, period. They climb in, they climb out, they climb just for the sake of climbing, even when there's no hope of every going anywhere. When I was exactly that age, I pushed my wooden toybox (two feet by three feet, with a lid) up to my tallboy dresser. I then climbed on the toybox, then over onto the metal swivel handles on the dresser front. I scaled the thing, got onto the top, and dumped baby powder all over myself. My mom heard me climbing down, came in, and found this tiny white ghost with bright blue eyes staring at her.

Another time, I pulled the drawers in the kitchen out and staggered them like steps. I then climbed up, got a Jell-O mold from a top cabinet and some other things, which I donned like armor. When Mom caught me, I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, standing up on the counter with my cookwear armor.

And that is what boys are like.

I did this just the other week actually
post #200 of 354
Speaking of kitchen climbing- keep the top cabinet, over the range visibly empty. I have a friend who has essentially no feeling in his hands because he climbed on the range as a child trying to get to a plant up there. It's apparently a fairly common occurrence.

If you don't mind me repeating what's been said- your wife need you during the first 3-4 years more than any other time I can think of. It can make the difference in a marriage with children.

Also, I realize that it's a little a little late, but congratulations.
post #201 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
And that is what boys are like.
And let us never change. I was in Scotland a month or so ago, hanging out in some park, idly watching two kids, I guess 6 and 8, thinking 'jesus, despite the fact that I grew up in a different era, on the other side of the world, this could be me and my brother 25 yrs ago'. They were just fighting on hills, defeating invisible enemies from the backs of imaginary tigers, clubbing each other with sticks and getting completely filthy in the process (and then no doubt having to explain to their mother just how they got so dirty and all that). Was kinda cool actually. Then I realised I was a grown man standing at the park staring at children and thought it best to move on.
post #202 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
And let us never change. I was in Scotland a month or so ago, hanging out in some park, idly watching two kids, I guess 6 and 8, thinking 'jesus, despite the fact that I grew up in a different era, on the other side of the world, this could be me and my brother 25 yrs ago'.

They were just fighting on hills, defeating invisible enemies from the backs of imaginary tigers, clubbing each other with sticks and getting completely filthy in the process (and then no doubt having to explain to their mother just how they got so dirty and all that).

Yes, exactly.

(And that makes me miss my brother very much.)
post #203 of 354
there was an article in the local timeout last week, a woman asking about talking to her teenage boys about masterbation and giving them advice about lotions and lubricants and so on. I found that to be very weird, and I am not looking forward to that period with my kids.
post #204 of 354
^
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #205 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
Just get him his bed; eventually, he'll get into a sleep pattern from being tired. It won't be perfect, but it will happen.

This is what boys do, period. They climb in, they climb out, they climb just for the sake of climbing, even when there's no hope of every going anywhere. When I was exactly that age, I pushed my wooden toybox (two feet by three feet, with a lid) up to my tallboy dresser. I then climbed on the toybox, then over onto the metal swivel handles on the dresser front. I scaled the thing, got onto the top, and dumped baby powder all over myself. My mom heard me climbing down, came in, and found this tiny white ghost with bright blue eyes staring at her.

Another time, I pulled the drawers in the kitchen out and staggered them like steps. I then climbed up, got a Jell-O mold from a top cabinet and some other things, which I donned like armor. When Mom caught me, I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, standing up on the counter with my cookwear armor.

And that is what boys are like.


+1 f'n million.

whenever someone I know complain about how their son/sons are a handful I always ask them if they would rather their son be some quiet, timid introvert.
post #206 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
there was an article in the local timeout last week, a woman asking about talking to her teenage boys about masterbation and giving them advice about lotions and lubricants and so on. I found that to be very weird, and I am not looking forward to that period with my kids.

You're even entertaining the thought of doing that????
post #207 of 354
our first son is in the works and will be done in a few weeks. and right now my wife is driving me crazy with names talk. i would never have imagined how much time you can spend just reeling off names.

now you guys might actually be to some help.
my wife is half japanese with no real connection to japan though, so we would like to call him something that will kind of point to his descent. on the other hand he will grow up in denmark and i want the name to be somewhat recognizable in europe. it should be a name that he will not have to spell out all the time.

any suggestions?
post #208 of 354
Koji

Japanese, but easily pronounced in many European languages
post #209 of 354
Akira!

Kenji is a good one.
post #210 of 354
Thread Starter 
Ken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Give your best advice to an expecting father