or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Give your best advice to an expecting father
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Give your best advice to an expecting father - Page 12

post #166 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I thought I would bump this to ask other fathers what they did when their toddler climbed out of the crib. Got a call today from the nanny saying that she heard one of the boys screaming during the nap, went to the bedroom and saw him hanging out of the crib, holding to the rail. Evidently, he can now climb out of it.

Some say it means it's time for a toddler bed but this little guy always takes 20mn to fall asleep so I don't want him to get out of bed and be miserable all day because he lacks sleep...

What did you guys do? When is it the right time to graduate to a toddler bed?

My oldest daughter never climbed out of her crib. We moved her to a bed when she was 2 1/2 and her sister was on the way. We actually moved her into a Queen sized bed and got guard rails for it. She adjusted very easily.

We got our youngest a toddler bed at about the same age. She started climbing out of her crib all the time, to the point that it wasn't an obstacle any more. We figured instead of risking having her fall and hurt herself we might as well give in. It made getting her to sleep more difficult though since it is easier for her to get out of bed. In the past few months she has adjusted and now at least stays in her bed, whether she is sleeping or not.
post #167 of 354
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys. Obviously, I don't want him to fall and get hurt. But he's only 17 months and is already a fussy sleeper/napper so I am not sure if letting him trot out of bed without even trying to go to sleep is a great solution...

GT - did you try to reason or discipline him to accept that climbing out is big no no and not allowed ?
post #168 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Thanks guys. Obviously, I don't want him to fall and get hurt. But he's only 17 months and is already a fussy sleeper/napper so I am not sure if letting him trot out of bed without even trying to go to sleep is a great solution...

GT - did you try to reason or discipline him to accept that climbing out is big no no and not allowed ?

oy.... 17 months is so hard in terms of discipline. we would tell him, over and over again, that he had to stay in bed at certain times, and it worked pretty well, but I think he was just a little older, maybe 18-20 months.

by the way, we got a little time out of it by moving the crib away from the wall, he was using leverage on the wall to climb out, and without that it took him a little longer. you might try to figure out how he is climbing, and see if you can prevent it physically (by shifing the crib or something, not barbed wire).

good luck
post #169 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
not barbed wire


Thanks. I think we'll try to reason him. He's reasonably good at not doing forbidden things (at least in front of us...) so it may work for a little bit.
post #170 of 354
Can't you just put a board on top of the crib, then put some heavy books on top so it can't get out?
post #171 of 354
custom designed for your needs Greg... thank me later http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=90
post #172 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post


Thanks. I think we'll try to reason him. He's reasonably good at not doing forbidden things (at least in front of us...) so it may work for a little bit.

good luck, like I said the girls have been great with staying in bed. my wife may have yelded once
post #173 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
Can't you just put a board on top of the crib, then put some heavy books on top so it can't get out?
That will just train him to get stronger and we'll end with Lou Ferigno when he's 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
custom designed for your needs Greg...

thank me later

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=90

Blocked by firewall...
post #174 of 354
Toddler bed with padding on the floor at the open end. Also helps with potty training.
post #175 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post


Thanks. I think we'll try to reason him. He's reasonably good at not doing forbidden things (at least in front of us...) so it may work for a little bit.

You can also try a crib tent. Same principle as Eason recommended but a tad more civilized and less chance of developing into the Hulk at an early age.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15029080
post #176 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcatny View Post
You can also try a crib tent. Same principle as Eason recommended but a tad more civilized and less chance of developing into the Hulk at an early age.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15029080

I thought about it but read this and it freaked me out a little...

Quote:
Please be careful with crib tents a freinds little boy was trying to get out of his crib somehow he got it open and tried to climb out and well ...he hung himself. he must have gotten stuck somewhere on the tent and now he is 1 and almost brain dead. Please be careful ..
http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-tod...-a-big_6724.bc
post #177 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I thought about it but read this and it freaked me out a little...


http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-tod...-a-big_6724.bc

my thought on the crib tents, too
post #178 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I thought about it but read this and it freaked me out a little...


http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-tod...-a-big_6724.bc


That would freak me out too. I never used one and never really looked into them. I know some friends have used them with success. I don't know enough about them to know if they are safe or not.

I will say many, not all, but many of the tragic accidents I have read about seem to involve error in the original set up of cribs, car seats, etc. I have helped numerous friends and aquaintances install their car seats properly because neither of the parents figured out how to do it correctly. I am not sure if that would be enough to make me try a crib tent or not though.
post #179 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcatny View Post
That would freak me out too. I never used one and never really looked into them. I know some friends have used them with success. I don't know enough about them to know if they are safe or not.

I will say many, not all, but many of the tragic accidents I have read about seem to involve error in the original set up of cribs, car seats, etc. I have helped numerous friends and aquaintances install their car seats properly because neither of the parents figured out how to do it correctly. I am not sure if that would be enough to make me try a crib tent or not though.

kids do the weirdest things, I have a feeling that it is better not to try to use devices to limit or control them, not because of the whole granola thing, but because you don't want them cought in something and breaking a limb or getting strangled.
post #180 of 354
yes, but it's a shitty and short-term purchase. ours spent 6-10 months in a toddler bed before graduating to a twin bed. might best be served getting a twin boxspring and mattress and using that until they are big enough for a platform or bed frame.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I thought I would bump this to ask other fathers what they did when their toddler climbed out of the crib. Got a call today from the nanny saying that she heard one of the boys screaming during the nap, went to the bedroom and saw him hanging out of the crib, holding to the rail. Evidently, he can now climb out of it.

Some say it means it's time for a toddler bed but this little guy always takes 20mn to fall asleep so I don't want him to get out of bed and be miserable all day because he lacks sleep...

What did you guys do? When is it the right time to graduate to a toddler bed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Give your best advice to an expecting father