or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please - Page 126

post #1876 of 1988
Did Persol ever produce the 2747S in the 95/26 (black frame with a brown-yellowish lense) in size 56-16?

If so, does anyone have any further information--like if they're polarized/photocromatic lenses, know where to find them, etc? I would appreciate if any insight that anyone has.

Also, a quick (somewhat) related question: I already have the 2747S but I would like to replace the lenses with new ones but of a different color. Is it possible to have that done (obviously using 2747S lenses) so that the new lenses are, for example,
green instead of the black they originally came with? Would I need Persol/Luxottica themselves to do this or could a local optician switch them out? How much would it cost and where could I find a selection of official Persol 2747S replacement lenses?
post #1877 of 1988

Can anyone ID those??

 

OPs?

 

post #1878 of 1988
Trying to identify model and approximate date of these vintage ray bans. They have BL etched in each of the lenses and the ray ban logo on upper of one. Stamped on top says B&L RAY-BAN USA and under above nose stamped B&L RAY-BAN 58[]14
post #1879 of 1988

There's a thread in the CM section that a vintage RB enthusiast started, you could try asking there:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/347772/vintage-ray-ban-expert/225

 

If it has the BL logos it would be a pre-Luxottica model, but beyond that I'm not sure if there are any details that could give you a more specific date range.

post #1880 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ucme View Post

Trying to identify model and approximate date of these vintage ray bans. They have BL etched in each of the lenses and the ray ban logo on upper of one. Stamped on top says B&L RAY-BAN USA and under above nose stamped B&L RAY-BAN 58[]14

 

 

I have a pair of B&L RayBans. These are mid80s (?)

post #1881 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr usneun View Post
 

Can anyone ID those??

 

OPs?

 

It looks like there's a logo on the left lens? Might just be a pair of Ray-Bans or Persols; Luxottica tends to introduce styles into their brands that were successful under other brands they own, so I wouldn't be surprised if the original design came from an Oliver Peoples model.

post #1882 of 1988

hmm..no RBs and Persols I suppose. They have a little grey/silver square on the arm.

 

post #1883 of 1988

I've been looking into alternatives to Luxottica in my search for sunglasses without breaking the bank. I've owned multiple Oakleys in the past and looking to branch out.

 

I'm specifically interested in the aviator style which everyone carries so its been tough to discriminate on quality vs. price. I'm also a bit torn on lens colors as I've always stuck with black/black. Considering one of the following, advice appreciated!

 

FarmFresh - Unknown Canadian company that uses Zeiss lenses which have a good rep and at a decent price for polarized lenses. I assume they're assembled in China so frame quality might be questionable.

 

http://befarmfresh.com/shop/sunglasses

 

Electric - They have an interesting backstory as the makers of Arnette but are now owned by the Luxotica's competitor Kering. Decent prices 

 

http://www.electriccalifornia.com/press-kit-history

 

 

 

 

Warby Parker - my fail safe thanks to peoples good experiences with them

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #1884 of 1988

IMO Warby Parker's niche is more prescription stuff, where their pricing is highly competitive. While the sunglasses I had from them were good, I wouldn't say they're standouts in terms of quality for the price. If you're looking at mid-priced or lower-priced aviators, you should take a look at Randolph Engineering, American Optical, and Serengeti. All are good quality and will last as long as anything else if taken care of. RE and AO are more sturdy and basic in construction, whereas Serengeti is more comfortable and has better lens technology. I'm sure Maui Jim has some aviators, too, they're my go-to recommendation for quality for the price.

post #1885 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
 

IMO Warby Parker's niche is more prescription stuff, where their pricing is highly competitive. While the sunglasses I had from them were good, I wouldn't say they're standouts in terms of quality for the price. If you're looking at mid-priced or lower-priced aviators, you should take a look at Randolph Engineering, American Optical, and Serengeti. All are good quality and will last as long as anything else if taken care of. RE and AO are more sturdy and basic in construction, whereas Serengeti is more comfortable and has better lens technology. I'm sure Maui Jim has some aviators, too, they're my go-to recommendation for quality for the price.

 

Thanks for the feedback. One of my considerations is unfortunately shipping to Canada pretty much ruins any pricing when it comes to those brands.

 

i.e AO = $75 in shipping... (madness) 

post #1886 of 1988

$75 to ship a tiny pair of sunglasses? That is insane. There are a lot of sellers offering them on ebay, though, I'd be surprised if none of them offered reasonable shipping to Canada.

post #1887 of 1988

Hi there, 

I'm looking for a pair of small prescription/Rx'able sunglasses. 

I have a very thin, oblong face (female) so finding a pair that fits me and isn't too big is difficult. I had a pair of Maui Jim Baby Beach but that too is slightly big on me. I am looking for frames less than 52mm; 50mm being optimal. I'd prefer square/navigator shapes.  I was hoping that I could get some advice and suggestions here. 

 

 

Thank you. 

post #1888 of 1988
Can anyone ID these sunglasses? Couldn't find a really big picture, it's Will Arnett on vacation recently in Portofino.

post #1889 of 1988

this is my collection

Oliver Peoples (X6)
Barton Perreira
Cutler and Gross (X2)
Tom Ford
RayBan
Moscot (X2)

 

 

post #1890 of 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkrunner View Post
 

this is my collection

Oliver Peoples (X6)
Barton Perreira
Cutler and Gross (X2)
Tom Ford
RayBan
Moscot (X2)

 

 

 

perfect.

 

could you ID each one? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please