or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please - Page 119

post #1771 of 1941

yeah i'm going to keep them.  they look great straight on and are very comfortable.  i'm not worried about the slight arm flare.  saved like $150 over sunglass hut pricing i think.

post #1772 of 1941

had that problem also with my 714s. they were waay to big in 52mm so I sold them. Then I got the 649s in 49mm and they were too small so I was already a bit nervous if the 52mm would fit me. But they did. It really depends.

post #1773 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr usneun View Post

had that problem also with my 714s. they were waay to big in 52mm so I sold them. Then I got the 649s in 49mm and they were too small so I was already a bit nervous if the 52mm would fit me. But they did. It really depends.

we've discussed this a bit previously, but your experience is not unique. Persol measurements, although accurate, do not allow for switching between models as the fit of each is just so different. I'm curious though because aren't the 649s just like the 714s except they aren't collapsible? I could be mistaken... either way I've been wanting the McQueen tortoise shell 714s with the blue chromo lenses for a while!
post #1774 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post


we've discussed this a bit previously, but your experience is not unique. Persol measurements, although accurate, do not allow for switching between models as the fit of each is just so different. I'm curious though because aren't the 649s just like the 714s except they aren't collapsible? I could be mistaken... either way I've been wanting the McQueen tortoise shell 714s with the blue chromo lenses for a while!


They have a wider nose bridge than the 649s if I remember correctly.

That's why they sat a bit deeper on my nose and looked way too big. A bit strange. But I am happy with my 649s in the same colorway than my 714 were, so, not a big deal for me.

post #1775 of 1941

This is probably the single most asked question on SF:

Do you think this sunglasses (Persol 649 52-20) fit me? I have an oblong/ diamond face shape and I've finally given up on wearing square or angular sunglasses, which I personally dig but don't look good on me. 

Anyway my parents wanted to make me a gift (I've moved back to my parent's since my Law Firm went bankrupt but that's another story...) and I chose the 52 mm. black-framed Persols 649.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For comparative purposes:

These ones are Ray-Bans 2151 ("Wayfarer Square" 52-20) which I think look clownishly large on my face.

 

 

 

And these ones are the classic American Optical Original Pilot 52-20. (Flight Goggle 58)

I really like this model but it has a major design flaw, providing no protection from side-hitting sunrays.

 

 

 

 

Thanks for reading the post and, please, do feel free to tell me if the Persols don't fit my face.

post #1776 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdano View Post
 

This is probably the single most asked question on SF:

Do you think this sunglasses (Persol 649 52-20) fit me?

 

 

 

Thanks for reading the post and, please, do feel free to tell me if the Persols don't fit my face.

To me, they look too large for your face.  The last pair is closer to a size that looks good on your face although I'm not a fan of those particular glasses.  Interesting because I just went through a similar process.  Fortunately, my girlfriend went with me when I went to pick out some Maui Jims.  I tried 5 different pairs on before she helped pick a pair that looked good on my face.  It's a lot like an eye exam (is this pair better or worse....) :)

 

Glad I went in to a shop too - I was going to order one pair on-line because I liked the style.  They didn't look that great on my face though and I ended up with a completely different style.  If you can, take a trusted friend/significant with you to the store.  You may also find that your best fit is in a different brand than you originally were thinking.

post #1777 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng70 View Post
 

To me, they look too large for your face.  The last pair is closer to a size that looks good on your face although I'm not a fan of those particular glasses.  Interesting because I just went through a similar process.  Fortunately, my girlfriend went with me when I went to pick out some Maui Jims.  I tried 5 different pairs on before she helped pick a pair that looked good on my face.  It's a lot like an eye exam (is this pair better or worse....) :)

 

Glad I went in to a shop too - I was going to order one pair on-line because I liked the style.  They didn't look that great on my face though and I ended up with a completely different style.  If you can, take a trusted friend/significant with you to the store.  You may also find that your best fit is in a different brand than you originally were thinking.

 

Thanks for your advice! :)

 

I agree with you that it is important to have someone you can trust when you go shopping for sunglasses and clothing in general. My family and close friends think this model, although a bit retro, looks good on me.

When I got the AO Pilot the girl I was dating at that time thought they were too small and so said the optometrist when I tried the 649 on.
I don't think I could get a decent fit from the smaller 49mm version since the temples on the ones I got (135 mm.) don't even reach the back of my ears!

post #1778 of 1941

 

 

LOL Arnold's  Sunglasses are on point. 

I was thinking they might be Garrett Leight  but there is no current model with the vertical pins like that. Or the cool camo look lol

post #1779 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
 

 

 

LOL Arnold's  Sunglasses are on point. 

I was thinking they might be Garrett Leight  but there is no current model with the vertical pins like that. Or the cool camo look lol

 

Oliver Peoples O'Malley, I think.

post #1780 of 1941

i know not your favorite person, but can anybody ID those??

they look like clubmasters but with golden arms.

 

 

 

post #1781 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr usneun View Post

i know not your favorite person, but can anybody ID those??
they look like clubmasters but with golden arms.





Some resemblance to Super's People Francis model:
http://store.retrosuperfuture.com/collections/people/products/348
post #1782 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightic View Post


Some resemblance to Super's People Francis model:
http://store.retrosuperfuture.com/collections/people/products/348

 

 

yes good eye.

But, I cropped the picture, if you compare them. The one he is wearing has a very thin arm which widens in the direction of the ear. Also the frame around the glass is different (even though other SUPER shades have a similar frame)..

 

 

post #1783 of 1941
I'm able to get slp sunglasses at a franc took of the cost does anyone know how good they are?
post #1784 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post

I'm able to get slp sunglasses at a franc took of the cost does anyone know how good they are?

 

expensive but cheaply made. not better than persols, in my opinion. BUT if you get them, let's say, for 50% off and sell them for 75%, then you are good to go, right?

post #1785 of 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr usneun View Post

expensive but cheaply made. not better than persols, in my opinion. BUT if you get them, let's say, for 50% off and sell them for 75%, then you are good to go, right?
I'm getting them 50% off but I don't have the intention to sell it's either the slp, thom browne, or a pair of tart arnels I really can't decide. But thanks for the insight I may have to try it on in that case
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please