or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ties
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ties - Page 4

post #46 of 56
Quote:
Quote:
(ernest @ Feb. 20 2005,14:59) I you were intelligent, you would understand that you can not speak for 3 billions of people.
Not that I want into the middle of this, but ... China's population is not 3 billion, not even close.  Count every person of Chinese ancenstry living outside China, and it still doesn't add up to even half that.
Actually, it could very well add up to over 1.5 billion. China itself has 1.3 billion people (est.), very few of whom are foreigners, and if you add up all Chinese living abroad, it's likely to top the number. This is even if you don't count the fact that Vietnamese, Thais, Indonesians, etc., are all ethnically Chinese. (I'm half Chinese; we could be included too.)
post #47 of 56
200 million overseas Chinese? Really? Where are they all? Serious question.
post #48 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
(ernest @ Feb. 20 2005,14:59) I you were intelligent, you would understand that you can not speak for 3 billions of people.
Not that I want into the middle of this, but ... China's population is not 3 billion, not even close.  Count every person of Chinese ancenstry living outside China, and it still doesn't add up to even half that.
Read better his message, he was talking for ALL ASIANS
post #49 of 56
Quote:
200 million overseas Chinese?  Really?  Where are they all?  Serious question.
I really should have an answer for this question, but now that I think about it, trying to think of overseas Chinese who are not Thai etc, and not mixed, it is difficult. So perhaps I was wrong.
post #50 of 56
Yeah, I don't think it gets to 200 million. In the US, which has a lot of people of Chinese ancestry plus a lot of recent immigrants, the number is still only a few million. Singapore is majority Chinese, ethnically, but the total population is only about 6 million. And there are big ethnic Chinese populations in Malaysia and Indonesia (and, to a smaller extent, in Vietnam and Thailand) but I don't think the numbers would ever get close to 200 million. Not even 100 million. Probably not even 50 million.
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Read better his message, he was talking for ALL ASIANS
You appear to be correct. If that includes South Asia, then the figure does indeed reach 3 billion people. My apologies.
post #52 of 56
Ernest, To answer your question, I like the style/design of my Pink tie as much as any other tie I own. Unfortunately, the quality of the silk and the construction leave a little bit to be desired. It looks great, and since ties are, in my opinion, pretty much decoration only, I think they serve a nice role in tie society.
post #53 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Ernest, To answer your question, I like the style/design of my Pink tie as much as any other tie I own.  Unfortunately, the quality of the silk and the construction leave a little bit to be desired.  It looks great, and since ties are, in my opinion, pretty much decoration only, I think they serve a nice role in tie society.
I was talking about value for money.
post #54 of 56
Quote:
If that includes South Asia, then the figure does indeed reach 3 billion people.  My apologies.
Imagine all the different brands of ties they must wear...
post #55 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
(Manton @ Feb. 20 2005,14:36) If that includes South Asia, then the figure does indeed reach 3 billion people.  My apologies.
Imagine all the different brands of ties they must wear...
I guess that 99.9% of them have never worn a tie.
post #56 of 56
Quote:
This is even if you don't count the fact that Vietnamese, Thais, Indonesians, etc., are all ethnically Chinese.
Those people are not Chinese. Vietnam and Thailand do have significant Chinese influence in their culture but the populations are definitely not Chinese. Indonesians, the bigger part of the population anyways, are people of Malay stocks by culture and by genetics. Southeast Asia is home to the largest Chinese population outside 'Greater' China but the number would run in the tens of millions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ties