• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D.C.-What's it like?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I've been sorta-kinda told that I'll have a job in D.C. waiting for me when I graduate (don't ask, long story). I planned on moving there after undergrad anyways, but this makes it more likely that I will pick up stakes and go to Washington.

I want to hear just general info. about D.C. Basically, whatever comes to your mind. What's cool about it? Is it vibrant, lots of restaurants/bars/etc. around? Does it have foot traffic along the lines of NYC or LA or Chicago (not expecting it to be as heavy as those)?

I guess the basic questions are "Is it a good place to live" and "Do you/did you enjoy living in D.C.".

Again, feel free to just rattle off whatever comes to mind. Thanks in advance.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It was OK. I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it. I probably should have appreciated it more.

Live on a Metro line, or your life will be hell.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lived in the area all my life and think its a perfect hybrid city. Not overly city-like and not exactly a suburb. The night life is good, there are plenty of restaurants, and any government run museum is free. I think you'd enjoy living here. As far as foot traffic goes, it's steady, but not as busy as NY. Although, it seems as though more people are taking the metro now than in years past, even with the price increases. 5.40 during peak hours?! It's pretty busy, culturally stimulating if you know where to look, and utterly sartorially challenged.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, coming from Albany (which thrives mainly during the work week), I get worried about going to a city that basically "shuts down" on the weekends. Columbus is the same way...the downtown area is bustling and busy on weekdays, but come Saturday 75% (I'm not exaggerating) of the restaurants, coffee shops, galleries, etc. close down. It's dead.

I realize D.C. is a major urban center so this surely isn't the case, right?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
DC is nice. Knowing what little I do about you thru SF, you'll really enjoy it. Lots of young people, lots of places to drink with like-minded young libs, plenty to see, plenty to do, muggy as crap in summertime but overall nice 4-season climate, nice blend of city and country, and it does not shut down on weekends. Certain areas are slow, but it's such a tourist destination and there are plenty of great neighborhoods that are far from "closed" on the weekends.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not something you have to worry about. It's a million times busier on the weekend. Especially if you're going out.

XdryMartini

Reaction score
DC is the most target rich area in the country for finding women!! They even have JOBS!!! I've heard the ration is close to 60/40, depending on your age preferences...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XdryMartini
depending on your age preferences...

Conne's age preference is > 50. He should do well there.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Conne's age preference is > 50. He should do well there.
Yes, I know of the D.C. socialite/cocktail circuit.
inlove.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Well, coming from Albany (which thrives mainly during the work week), I get worried about going to a city that basically "shuts down" on the weekends. Columbus is the same way...the downtown area is bustling and busy on weekdays, but come Saturday 75% (I'm not exaggerating) of the restaurants, coffee shops, galleries, etc. close down. It's dead.

I realize D.C. is a major urban center so this surely isn't the case, right?

There are several neighborhoods that are hopping, if not 24/7, at least every day, and well into most nights.

They are sort of expensive though. Dupont Circle is great because it's close to downtown and right on the Red line. Adams Morgan is cheaper, funkier, but a little less accessible and a little more dangerous. There is also a lot going on the old civic center area. That's were all the best new restaurants are, for instance.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would you recommend Arlington or another 'burb for a young person? Are they stiflingly boring?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike should fit right in in Dupont circle.
devil.gif

And, as far as Adams Morgan goes (I know there have been a lot of muggings recently) I'd worry more about slipping to your death on the throw-up that lines the streets in the early hours.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, my friends at GWU say that Adams Morgan is a big destination for younger folks in the evening.

I am immune to vomiting due to alcohol, so I won't be making anybody slip.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Would you recommend Arlington or another 'burb for a young person? Are they stiflingly boring?

No, not all of them. The close-in places in NoVa are pretty happening.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D.C. is more like a big town than a city, and I don't mean that in a bad way. The city revolves around the federal government, there are no skyscrapers, and sometimes it seems that you are three to four degrees removed from anyone else in the city. There are a lot of outdoorsy and cultural things to do, and it is pretty easy to find a niche. Nightlife isn't NY, but a lot of cool bars and clubs have popped up recently. That said, it can be difficult to meet new people because folks tend to run in their own social circles. You really have to make an effort.

I would advise living on the left-hand side of the red line (up to Bethesda) or living on the left-hand side of the orange line (up to Ballston). I live in Adams Morgan, which in my opinion is the best neighborhood in the city if you don't count Friday and Saturday nights, when the bridge and tunnel crowd turn it into a living hell. There has been an uptick in crime in Adams Morgan recently, which doesn't really affect me because I'm generally well asleep when it happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads