or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › D.C.-What's it like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D.C.-What's it like? - Page 2

post #16 of 190
Thread Starter 
Anacostia looks very nice.
post #17 of 190
Thread Starter 
We have more D.C. residents than this! Chime in!
post #18 of 190
I might end up in DC eventually. I like the city quite a lot. Metro is great.

Of course... unless you're of means to live close in, get ready for a long commute.
post #19 of 190
DC is great. I think it strikes a nice balance between having great jobs and access to interesting and unique things to do, and not being too big and overwhelming. I grew up on the MD side, went to school in the city, and just moved to the VA side, just outside the city. I like the Georgetown area, and plan to live there long term, but the main disadvantage there is no easy metro access. I have a number of friends in the Dupont, Adams Morgan, and Chinatown areas, all of which are great if you're young, and enjoy going out/taking advantage of the cultural stuff.

I'd advise against the MD side for someone in your position - I think the close in VA areas are a bit more youth friendly (anything from Rosslyn to Ballston) and tend to have more going on. Very convenient to commute downtown if you're on the orange line too. Driving anywhere generally sucks, which is why it is key to walk/metro to work. I'm not convinced its cheaper to live in VA (taxes are better though) - I'm probably paying the same amount I would if I were downtown, but the buildings here tend to be newer/in better shape.

I think if you are responsible and aware of your surroundings, there is no reason to worry about safety. I never once felt at risk, even very late at night by myself or with one other person, but then again, I wasn't stumbling around drunk through Anacostia.
post #20 of 190
Thread Starter 
I'm told that rent in Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill is around $1200 for a single, maybe a little less for a studio. Does this sound about right? I would imagine a lot of younger folks that live in D.C. have roommates.
post #21 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I'm told that rent in Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill is around $1200 for a single, maybe a little less for a studio. Does this sound about right? I would imagine a lot of younger folks that live in D.C. have roommates.

It all depends. I'm paying 2k for a 1 bedroom (nice building, etc) with my fiancee just outside of DC. Everyone I know in DC has roommates, and their rents end up anywhere from 700 to 1500 per individual, be that for a room in a townhouse or apartment building. The cheap end of that range doesn't get you much at all.
post #22 of 190
DC has all the efficiency of the South along with the gentility of the North.

A mid-20s friend has lived there now for about 4 years. He loved it at first, but now thinks it is getting sort of old. Not only do a lot of people "run in their own social circles," but a lot of people jump in there, meet someone or work for 3 years, then move back home or to wherever their new spouse lives. Apparently it gets old having to make new friends every two years (since many jobs turn over with every election). Of course this depends on how close your social circles are to Capital Hill. Since you like politics, you would probably love it.

Did you see the post on SF comparing a Washington DC lawyer to a New York lawyer? I believe that is pretty illustrative. People (usually smart/nerdy ones) from all over the country move to DC because they believe in something (killing babies, saving whales, freeing slaves, freeing markets, etc).
post #23 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
DC is great. I think it strikes a nice balance between having great jobs and access to interesting and unique things to do, and not being too big and overwhelming. I grew up on the MD side, went to school in the city, and just moved to the VA side, just outside the city. I like the Georgetown area, and plan to live there long term, but the main disadvantage there is no easy metro access. I have a number of friends in the Dupont, Adams Morgan, and Chinatown areas, all of which are great if you're young, and enjoy going out/taking advantage of the cultural stuff. I'd advise against the MD side for someone in your position - I think the close in VA areas are a bit more youth friendly (anything from Rosslyn to Ballston) and tend to have more going on. Very convenient to commute downtown if you're on the orange line too. Driving anywhere generally sucks, which is why it is key to walk/metro to work. I'm not convinced its cheaper to live in VA (taxes are better though) - I'm probably paying the same amount I would if I were downtown, but the buildings here tend to be newer/in better shape. I think if you are responsible and aware of your surroundings, there is no reason to worry about safety. I never once felt at risk, even very late at night by myself or with one other person, but then again, I wasn't stumbling around drunk through Anacostia.
Thanks for this (and thanks to everyone else who has responded). Do most young professionals actually live within the D.C. city limits? Or do many live in VA/MD?
post #24 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquik View Post
Since you like politics, you would probably love it. Did you see the post on SF comparing a Washington DC lawyer to a New York lawyer? I believe that is pretty illustrative. People (usually smart/nerdy ones) from all over the country move to DC because they believe in something (killing babies, saving whales, freeing slaves, freeing markets, etc).
I find politics fascinating, but not because I am overly ideological or idealistic. I am already too cynical for my own good. I talked today to some of my campaign buddies who live in D.C. but are/were here for the election. They said D.C. is a lot of fun and relatively affordable. I wouldn't really want to live in NYC on $30-$40K.
post #25 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
I'm told that rent in Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill is around $1200 for a single, maybe a little less for a studio. Does this sound about right? I would imagine a lot of younger folks that live in D.C. have roommates.
No, it's higher than that. A lot higher in Dupont.
post #26 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Thanks for this (and thanks to everyone else who has responded).

Do most young professionals actually live within the D.C. city limits? Or do many live in VA/MD?

Both really. A lot live in DC, but many are in nova also - the Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Va Square, and Ballston areas are pretty popular, growing quickly, and have all the benefits of living in the city, except this highest end restaurants, clubs, and obviously museums/etc. Keep in mind that living in one of those areas is really no less convenient, or really all that different than living in the city given the great transportation and the decent restaurants and whatnot. Living near Clarendon, has actually been more convenient to me that living in Georgetown in terms of getting to work (which is downtown), though I still prefer the latter.

I don't know anyone young who lives in MD and works downtown. Nova is simply more integrated into the city.

I've heard that Crystal City is considered by many to be a pretty cheap area that is still convenient to the city, but I don't know much about it, and doubt I'll explore. Less convenient than the aforementioned places in VA, and not as nice.
post #27 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquik View Post
DC has all the efficiency of the South along with the gentility of the North.

A mid-20s friend has lived there now for about 4 years. He loved it at first, but now thinks it is getting sort of old. Not only do a lot of people "run in their own social circles," but a lot of people jump in there, meet someone or work for 3 years, then move back home or to wherever their new spouse lives. Apparently it gets old having to make new friends every two years (since many jobs turn over with every election). Of course this depends on how close your social circles are to Capital Hill. Since you like politics, you would probably love it.

Did you see the post on SF comparing a Washington DC lawyer to a New York lawyer? I believe that is pretty illustrative. People (usually smart/nerdy ones) from all over the country move to DC because they believe in something (killing babies, saving whales, freeing slaves, freeing markets, etc).

Link? I can't find that post through search.
post #28 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
No, it's higher than that. A lot higher in Dupont.
Yeah you're right. From what Craigslist tells me, most 2-4 BR apartments/rowhouses in Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle run $1000-$1500 per person. That ain't cheap...
post #29 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
Link? I can't find that post through search.

http://www.observer.com/2008/arts-cu...vs-d-c-lawyers

The article is about the law culture, but at the bottom you've got a guide you can mouseover comparing suits, ties, where associates and partners live, etc.
post #30 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquik View Post
http://www.observer.com/2008/arts-cu...vs-d-c-lawyers

The article is about the law culture, but at the bottom you've got a guide you can mouseover comparing suits, ties, where associates and partners live, etc.
Amusing, typically NY-consumerist. Thanks for the link. Rings true in many respects.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › D.C.-What's it like?