or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Replica watches
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replica watches

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
on replicas were recommended a couple of months ago on GQ forum. Well, I can't find those posts anymore Help, anybody?? P.S. That's gonna be my answer to automatic vs. quarts dilemma - $200 automatic (I just like this sweeping hand) Rolex or Panerai that can be thrown away just when you'd have to pay the same amount to have the real one cleaned/tuned up. My apologies to respective manufacturers
post #2 of 14
http://www.2002watch.com
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I also googled them, but did you have any experience with them? 2002 sounds fresh, doesn't it?
post #4 of 14
It looks like they have some stuff that might be worth getting. Has anyone here dealt with them and know if they are legit.
post #5 of 14
bump... anybody heard of experiences with them? If the pics do the watches justice those are some very well made replicas. I had been considering a lower end Breitling and they have it here for obviously a lot less. In this case I like the style of the watch and could care less about the name ... but don't want to spend even $150 on a watch that won't last a while. Not looking for Breitiling quality, but SOME quality nonetheless.
post #6 of 14
Here's another site. www.replicaproducts.com There was a REALLY good one (workmanship seemed a lot better than the avg replica) with prices about double what the sites posted here charge, but the link no longer works (or maybe I didn't bookmark the site and I'm trying the wrong link).
post #7 of 14
Quote:
bump... anybody heard of experiences with them? If the pics do the watches justice those are some very well made replicas. I had been considering a lower end Breitling and they have it here for obviously a lot less. In this case I like the style of the watch and could care less about the name ... but don't want to spend even $150 on a watch that won't last a while. Not looking for Breitiling quality, but SOME quality nonetheless.
Is the appeal of a replica the price? The fact that you can get a watch for one tenth/twentieth/fiftieth the "real" price? Being able to flaunt a logo you can't really afford? Personally, I don't get it... it can't be about keeping time, since a cheesy $9 quartz jobber you get at Walmart can keep time more accurately than any mechanical watch. So it's about status and the perceived "jewelry" like quality of the watch, neither of which comes with a replica - well, maybe status, but how real is that?
post #8 of 14
Like I said, for me personally in this case it is the style of the watch I like. If I found a Seiko version of the Breitiling in question I would buy it. I like the watch, don't care about the brand name.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Here's another site. www.replicaproducts.com There was a REALLY good one (workmanship seemed a lot better than the avg replica) with prices about double what the sites posted here charge, but the link no longer works (or maybe I didn't bookmark the site and I'm trying the wrong link).
GQ, please let me know if you find that link. Thanks.
post #10 of 14
If you like rolex, these are probably the best as far as replicas go ($850 us but they use real swiss movement, real gold and sapphire crystal) www.swiss-replica.com I couldn't find the other site though. Davei, in general, the people that buy replicas or fake anything *cough*prada sport*cough* (gotta love that bright orange logo that's always placed so the most amount of people see it as possible, eh?) want to show off a flashy logo. Usually you can spot these people a mile away cause they've got cheap clothes that really don't match the watch Personally, I have a titanium seiko and I like it. I'm not so pretentious that I've gotta have a 25k watch at the age of 22. When you see me wearing a patek, it'll be a real one which I'll have bought myself as a reward for "making it". I can't stand posers =/
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Is the appeal of a replica the price? The fact that you can get a watch for one tenth/twentieth/fiftieth the "real" price? Being able to flaunt a logo you can't really afford? Personally, I don't get it...it can't be about keeping time, since a cheesy $9 quartz jobber you get at Walmart can keep time more accurately than any mechanical watch. So it's about status and the perceived "jewelry" like quality of the watch, neither of which comes with a replica"”well, maybe status, but how real is that?
How real is status even with the genuine article? (This applies to more than watches, obviously.) As far as I'm concerned, what we're buying with luxury items is design aesthetics, materials and workmanship. After that, perceived status is a bonus. Very few replicas approach the originals in terms of materials and workmanship (although there are some), so a cosmetically accurate replica would be about design aesthetics, perceived status and economy. Personally, I'd rather have a real Swatch than a fake Patek, but I can understand why someone who adores a particular stratospherically-priced watch would consider a convincing replica for $150. For most people, that's as close as they're ever going to get. Good fakes are somewhat democratizing, after a fashion.
post #12 of 14
Well after doing some digging this morning it seems there are maybe 2 reputable sites out there alltogether to get a decent replica that will last a while- and they are expensive for a replica. Oh well, guess I will continue to save for the real deal.
post #13 of 14
I have to agree with pstoller on this one. I'd rather have a real Timex than a fake Rolex, but I do understand the desire for replicas. It's seems a little pathetic, but not more so than combovers, fake designer clothing, or any other example of failed male vanity.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
I admit that I have second thoughts about getting replica.But mainly because I like to swim in my watch ( I currently have Omega Speedmaster) and replicas are not really water-resistant. Re combovers etc - I agree that replicas can look pathetic, that is, only IF you can tell though. I was thinking strictly SS, no gold, and automatic, (and model that I could actually afford, like Oyster or Ex II, or simple Panerai, not some exorbitant tourbillon stuff -that'd be dead giveaway like combover)- so I don't think anybody could tell the difference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Replica watches