or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to tie the belt on the back of trenchcoat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to tie the belt on the back of trenchcoat?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I just bought a new trench and I wonder how to tie it on the back without looking like a fool. I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me. So if I tie it on the back, what style should i go for? This is a picture of the back of my trenchcoat: Should I just wear it like this? Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front) /Bates
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front)

/Bates

Shouldn't you ask your mother?
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
No she is dead.

Back to topic.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
I just bought a new trench and I wonder how to tie it on the back without looking like a fool.
I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me.
So if I tie it on the back, what style should i go for?
This is a picture of the back of my trenchcoat:

Should I just wear it like this?



Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front)

/Bates

Although it's frowned upon in these parts, I tied my belt behind me in a four in hand. I used the belt to pull the back a little and give the trench a bit of waist shape.
post #5 of 15
Beautiful trench -- may I inquire as to the brand and source?

Alain Delon always buckled his trench in a customary manner. That seems pretty conclusive.
post #6 of 15
I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?
post #7 of 15
I don't like to tie my belt in the back. I had the belt loops removed from my go-to trench, but for the others, I tie the belts in front.
post #8 of 15
JayJay : is the Black Fleece trench your go-to?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfyf View Post
JayJay : is the Black Fleece trench your go-to?
No, my go-to is a Burberry I bought a few years back. I enjoy my BF trench, but nothing beats my trusted Burberry.
post #10 of 15
I see. I still remember you saying the BF one was pretty nice and would be worth sizing up for. Thus, I regret not buying it
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?

Yeah I don't know if others from on this sartorially, but I usually end up doing this when I wear it open. When it's closed I go like the second posted pic w/ the loose tie job.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me.

Sigh.
post #13 of 15
I don't mean to seem mocking, but what exactly is the problem with buckling in the front? I know Bogart tied it (frontally), but if it was meant to be tied, it wouldn't have a buckle and loops, IMHO. Sort of like putting one's trousers on backwards just to be different. Am I the odd man out here, or do some others of you just buckle it and be done?

By the way, Bates, that is a beautiful coat.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofpi View Post
I don't mean to seem mocking, but what exactly is the problem with buckling in the front? I know Bogart tied it (frontally), but if it was meant to be tied, it wouldn't have a buckle and loops, IMHO. Sort of like putting one's trousers on backwards just to be different. Am I the odd man out here, or do some others of you just buckle it and be done?

By the way, Bates, that is a beautiful coat.

I'm the odd man out with you...! It just pains me against my OCD to not use the buckle. I've just bought a new trench coat (Dunhill) and have been using the buckle at the front - seems far more neat and tidy. I can't get on with the knot effect.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How to tie the belt on the back of trenchcoat?