or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Persol 714 vs 649
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Persol 714 vs 649 - Page 4

post #46 of 145
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but here's a familiar question. I've been eyeing Persol 649 (didn't like it at first, but it grows on me), but no eyewear shop where I live carries them anymore, so no chance for an actual try-on . I have a big skull, like, BIG even for caucasian standards (I'm SEAn, 5'9"). Just for reference, AO Original Pilot 55/20 seems small for me, as well as Persol 2720-S 57/16. AOOP 57/20 fits well and so does Persol 2857-V 54/16 and Persol 2244-S 63/17. Since many of you said Persol 649s are big/fit large, should I go for size 54 (easily found on 'bay), or 56 (almost non existed though listed on Persol homepage)? Thanks and great Friday to y'all.
post #47 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlagu View Post
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but here's a familiar question. I've been eyeing Persol 649 (didn't like it at first, but it grows on me), but no eyewear shop where I live carries them anymore, so no chance for an actual try-on . I have a big skull, like, BIG even for caucasian standards (I'm SEAn, 5'9"). Just for reference, AO Original Pilot 55/20 seems small for me, as well as Persol 2720-S 57/16. AOOP 57/20 fits well and so does Persol 2857-V 54/16 and Persol 2244-S 63/17.

Since many of you said Persol 649s are big/fit large, should I go for size 54 (easily found on 'bay), or 56 (almost non existed though listed on Persol homepage)?

Thanks and great Friday to y'all.

I'd recommend the 52 for most folks. If you are have a large skull, maybe go for the 54, as it's quite large anyway. FYI. here's the best price I've found online $195: http://www.discountshadesdirect.com/...tal-brown.html
post #48 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurktwin View Post
I'd recommend the 52 for most folks. If you are have a large skull, maybe go for the 54, as it's quite large anyway. FYI. here's the best price I've found online $195: http://www.discountshadesdirect.com/...tal-brown.html
Thanks. Got the 54 last week, it fits me nicely.
post #49 of 145
Persol just released a new Steve McQueen "Special Edition" model limited to 10,000 units. The arms now fold correctly like the 1960s models -- see photo below and note hinge decoration is now correct. But does it come in size 52 or just size 54? I only see the size 54 on the Sunglass Hut web site. Where are the 52s? http://www.sunglasshut.com/sgh/pdp.j...BrownExclusive http://www.fashionising.com/clothing...sses-4931.html
post #50 of 145
Click here for Flash animination of the new McQueen Persols: http://www.sunglasshut.com/sgh/perso...rsolMcQueenExp
post #51 of 145
Bump. Anyone know if the new McQueen limited model comes in 52? I emailed SunGlass Hut a few days ago but no response from them.
post #52 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurktwin View Post
Bump. Anyone know if the new McQueen limited model comes in 52? I emailed SunGlass Hut a few days ago but no response from them.

why would you ask sunglass hut? ask persol
post #53 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebrady View Post
why would you ask sunglass hut? ask persol
I guess you don't know that Luxottica owns BOTH Persol AND Sunglass Hut. It's a vertically integrated, hegemonic operation (i.e. manufacturing, distribution and retail). Hence the "exclusive" retailership of the McQueen "special edition" at Luxottica's own Sunglass Hut stores, thus ensuring price point fixing and lack of retail competition to ensure higher margins on this piece. So, I asked both entities (which are really the same entity, as it's all owned by Luxottica) if the McQueen special edition is or will be offered in anything other than size 54. No feedback from Persol. (Nice customer service.) Feedback from Sunglass Hut: "These only come in a size 54." Too bad these McQueen Special Editions only come in the CLOWN SIZE 54. 52 is a more appropriate size for most faces, IMO.
post #54 of 145
What's the benefit of folding glasses into quarters? I almost always have a jacket to put them in the top pocket, and if not tuck them into the top of a shirt.
post #55 of 145
What's the most versatile frame / lens color combination on the 649s?

post #56 of 145
Found some photos online from the Persol / Sunglass Hut Steve McQueen release party modeling the size 54 714 of the McQueen special edition. Thoughts on size of the glasses? A mistake for them to not offer this in size 52 as well? Or does size 54 look ok?
post #57 of 145
I have to wear 54. 52 is too small and looks dumb on my face, and the arms actually angle out. And I'm not really that big of a guy.
post #58 of 145
Are those pics from the launch party supposed to be of the McQueen glasses with the blue lenses? If so, you can barely see any color at all in the lenses. Not sure why anyone would pay a premium for this model if they are barely differentiated from the regular models.
post #59 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurktwin View Post
Found some photos online from the Persol / Sunglass Hut Steve McQueen release party modeling the size 54 714 of the McQueen special edition. Thoughts on size of the glasses? A mistake for them to not offer this in size 52 as well? Or does size 54 look ok?


Personally I think this style looks better fitting a bit smaller on the face. They never looked so large on McQueen.

It's a pity the size 52 never comes with longer temples.
post #60 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston View Post
Personally I think this style looks better fitting a bit smaller on the face. They never looked so large on McQueen.

It's a pity the size 52 never comes with longer temples.

McQueen may have actually worn something in 54ish range. Hard to tell from these photos but I think these look larger than a modern day 52. Perhaps a 54 after all. Thoughts?







New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Persol 714 vs 649