or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Persol 714 vs 649
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Persol 714 vs 649 - Page 8

post #106 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwings19 View Post

Does anyone ever get red marks around their nose from wearing these sunglasses? Or is it just me lol 

I haven't paid attention but I will check. They slide down my nose a bit when I perspire, is this happening to anyone else?
post #107 of 141

oh boy I should have read this thread first, I ordered the size 49 online without trying them on since nobody in china is selling persols apparently. I usually never order clothing online but in every mall I went I could only find the usual suspects from ray ban to fendi and gucci but no persols in sight. the measurements of the 54 and 52s appeared just too large so I went with the 49 after my attempt at folding a pair of paper to the given size I came to the conclusion that 49 is the way to go so I pulled the trigger.

 

you can tell if they don't fit me if they are on B&S in a few days :D

post #108 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwings19 View Post

Does anyone ever get red marks around their nose from wearing these sunglasses? Or is it just me lol 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

I haven't paid attention but I will check. They slide down my nose a bit when I perspire, is this happening to anyone else?

I have a pair of 649s, sz 54. Fit me well across the face and head, though the nose bridge is a little too small (20mm when I probably ideally need 23mm), so if I perspire they can slip down my nose, as they are also heavy sunglasses. These days I just keep them in my car as driving sunglasses. Unfortunately for me, the bridge measurement is uniform across the 649/714 size ranges.

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that can recraft acetate frames, perhaps shave a bit off the keyhole bridge to make the span larger for my preposterous nose? The 649s are quite thick around the bridge so I think it could be done without compromising the integrity of the frame.
post #109 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post


I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that can recraft acetate frames, perhaps shave a bit off the keyhole bridge to make the span larger for my preposterous nose? The 649s are quite thick around the bridge so I think it could be done without compromising the integrity of the frame.

 

I think an optician can mold them through heating a little. I know they can do this with the temples. asking won't hurt.

post #110 of 141
elle_macpherson-6.jpg 76k .jpg file

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

244.jpg 299k .jpg file

 

 

 

 

Hello, i can't decide which size that i should buy, 52mm or 54mm. Are those size 52mm or 54 mm shown in the photos ? Do you have any ideas ? 


Edited by hamburger80 - 7/18/12 at 3:34pm
post #111 of 141

244991_980.jpgelle_macpherson-6.jpg

post #112 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwings19 View Post

Does anyone ever get red marks around their nose from wearing these sunglasses? Or is it just me lol 

I do, even after a mere 30 secs of wearing them. I think it is just because they are heavier than your usual sunglasses (say Wayfearer), in particular because of the the glass lenses (as opposed to plastic) and the bridge over the nose which makes all the weight of the glasses lie on the sides of the nose.

 

I have a pair of 649 with blue lenses in 52 and love them. It's probably just wishful thinking but I think they fit me. I agree with the consensus that the 54mm model is too big for most people, I even had doubts about the 52 but I really liked the blue lenses and couldn't find them in 49 so I sticked with them and I am pretty happy.

 

I also have a pair of 2994 (see below) ordered. I find them to be a nice twist on the ubiquitous Wayfearer. Does anyone have or tried them? I'd like some feedback on those.

 

700700

post #113 of 141

I took my Steve Mcqueen Special Editions back to Sunglasses Hut and they heated and reshaped the ear piece. I needed to further tweak them so heated using a hairdryer and after 20-30 seconds started to mould the ear piece downwards and inwards. Be careful as I imagine there is a possibility of the plastic cracking. Just make sure the ear piece is pliable before using too much force. If you use a repetitive stroking motion this worked for me. Now that the ear piece folds tightly around my ear I have no problems with the glasses slipping down my face as they used to. It makes them allot more comfortable on the nose also because the weight is then equally distributed between the nose and ears.

 

I have the Dark Havana with Blue Lens however have had doubts ever since purchasing as to if the blue lens looks weird. I think I would have preferred a normal brown lens. Only bought them new a month ago so I will give them a few weeks to see if they grow on me and if not will hope to sell them. Just worried I won't get a good resale value. Was hoping to find more pictures online of people wearing this same style to see how they look out in the sunlight but have not had much luck. Most pictures seem to be in the dark where the lenses look awesome. In the sun I think they may look too crazy! It seems easier to judge seeing them on someone else.

post #114 of 141

there some pics

post #115 of 141

700

 

700

by tommy ton 

post #116 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post

I took my Steve Mcqueen Special Editions back to Sunglasses Hut and they heated and reshaped the ear piece. I needed to further tweak them so heated using a hairdryer and after 20-30 seconds started to mould the ear piece downwards and inwards. Be careful as I imagine there is a possibility of the plastic cracking. Just make sure the ear piece is pliable before using too much force. If you use a repetitive stroking motion this worked for me. Now that the ear piece folds tightly around my ear I have no problems with the glasses slipping down my face as they used to. It makes them allot more comfortable on the nose also because the weight is then equally distributed between the nose and ears.

 

Could you explain this a little more in depth? Everything about these sunglasses fits perfectly expect for the fact that they keep slipping a good 2 inches down my nose which makes them unwearable. 

post #117 of 141
I just got the 714's in 54 and I notice that they sort of angle out at my temple. I do have a large head and was just wondering if any of you have the arms sort of angle out near your temples:embar:
post #118 of 141
I have a similar issue with mine slipping down my nose. When I first got them, the arms weren't nearly long enough to wrap around my ears. I got an eye glass place to straighten them out but I still wasn't happy with how they fit. I dunked one arm in some boiling water to try to get it to work (note, never do this, I shouldn't have, it discolored the plastic). Still they now sit on my face fine but slip down my nose. Essentially, I need some longer arms for the glasses. Anyone have any ideas? I have the 649s in 52 with 135 arms I think. I tried emailing luxxotica every day for about two weeks and never got a response, surprise. Anyone know how I might modify these, too nice to relegate to just driving shades.
post #119 of 141
where to cop persols on sale now?
post #120 of 141
They have 714 and 649 Persols on sale for ~$160 on Amazon right now...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Persol 714 vs 649