or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I think GQ did a good job...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think GQ did a good job... - Page 2

post #16 of 26
Good job.

When choosing these fellows off the street GQ did perhaps make it a bit easy for themselves by miraculously stumbling on guys with a good shape underneath the awful clothes. They must have passed on hundreds of guys that would have been more difficult to make cool-looking. Fair enough.
post #17 of 26
A friend passed this article on to me about 9 months ago in my pre-SF days. I used it as a baseline to fashion my new wardrobe, emphasizing cut and fit. It did a great job of opening my eyes and I think it'd be a great primer for many guys who dress like the "befores".

I must agree that they certainly ran into some suspiciously good looking/fit gentlemen on the streets for this article...paid models perhaps? Maybe they just scouted all over NYC and picked the best subjects...

The items they used seem to be quite a bit out of reach for the guys they put them in. If they could have placed the guys in more appropriately priced garments based on their jobs/salaries that would have been more helpful as it would give a wider range of choices. I'm sure there was a deal with those high end fashion labels to get their product shown in another GQ article...
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
A friend passed this article on to me about 9 months ago in my pre-SF days. I used it as a baseline to fashion my new wardrobe, emphasizing cut and fit. It did a great job of opening my eyes and I think it'd be a great primer for many guys who dress like the "befores".

I must agree that they certainly ran into some suspiciously good looking/fit gentlemen on the streets for this article...paid models perhaps? Maybe they just scouted all over NYC and picked the best subjects...

The items they used seem to be quite a bit out of reach for the guys they put them in. If they could have placed the guys in more appropriately priced garments based on their jobs/salaries that would have been more helpful as it would give a wider range of choices. I'm sure there was a deal with those high end fashion labels to get their product shown in another GQ article...

I'm sure male models can (and will) buy $2000 blazers.

They did, however, have an article about various shapes and which silhouette fits best featuring various Hollywood stars. I can't find it for the life of me though.
post #19 of 26
Am I a bad person because I think skinny ties are stupid and faddy?
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3orangewhips View Post
Am I a bad person because I think skinny ties are stupid and faddy?

No, but most of these guys ARE skinny so a fat tie just wouldn't work.
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas View Post
I'm sure male models can (and will) buy $2000 blazers.

They did, however, have an article about various shapes and which silhouette fits best featuring various Hollywood stars. I can't find it for the life of me though.

Haha, true, if modeling is indeed their profession.

However some of those guys don't seem to have extremely high salaries, based on the descriptions, that would be able to reasonably afford the $2000+ ensembles. The one guy is a TV salesman; does that mean like Best Buy or some perhaps a wholesaler? If the former then I highly doubt he'd be inclined to spend that much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3orangewhips View Post
Am I a bad person because I think skinny ties are stupid and faddy?

Perhaps, but I've been wearing them for the last few years since I found my father's old tie collection. I've a collection of both narrow (not quite as narrow as those shown in the article, just about 2.75") and normal (3.5") and I much prefer the narrow. I'm tall and athletic and I think the narrow works better with the slimmer clothes that I wear.
post #22 of 26
I agree that the article did a great job of illustrating the difference a proper fit can make in appearance. It would be nice if they could show a realistic price range on different builds and various age ranges. Not all men fit Dolce and Gabbana - slim fit or not, the blazers and suits are sized much smaller than standard. From the GQ side, I'm sure the designer that signs a recurring 12 month contract for 4 full page ads should probably get some play in the articles.
post #23 of 26
Guys photographed in a fashion magasine are slim, good-looking, and wearing clothing made by the advertisers ...



... what a shock!



'Before and after' shots ... "these results not typical; your results may vary" ...



... what a shock!




See it for what it is, and take the good part. Fashion Mags like GQ (I wrote "style mag" and changed it) are a pretty-much necessary step in stylistic development, but they aren't the be-all and end-all of style, for sure. Nice lesson for the learning, though.
post #24 of 26
Maybe I should have asked, "Does not liking skinny ties mean I am as fat as I think I am?"
post #25 of 26
Nothing special, but it proves once again that FIT is everything.
post #26 of 26
I was about to write a response saying I was sure the 'before' pictures were faked, since the fits were so unbelievably bad... then I remembered how my colleages dress.

Mind you, if it wasn't faked, they did a remarkable job of only picking very fit guys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I think GQ did a good job...