• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for an expert tailor in SD

dankap911

Reaction score
does anyone have a really good tailor in the San Diego area who can take in a suit for me. The suit is a 46 and i need it to fit as a 44.

Thanks
DK

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a bespoke guy in La Jolla, called Felice, who might do alterations.

Your alteration request sounds pretty extreme though.

dankap911

Reaction score
I went to see Romeo yesterday...super nice guy... total cost of alterations...$185

lots of work for him to do...

Kei-bon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a sport jacket shortened. Would he do this sort of alteration? I also have some minor alterations to a suit in mind ...

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
Ask at some of the better men's stores that you frequent in the area. They should be able to give a recommendation about local tailors.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kei-bon
I'm thinking of getting a sport jacket shortened. Would he do this sort of alteration? I also have some minor alterations to a suit in mind ...

YES, He would do this sort of alteration.

___

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Thanks, Full Canvas. and for the initial recommendation. I'll head over there. I've had this jacket for a while now, but seldom wear it because the length bothers me ...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Full Canvas, have you ever had a suit or sportcoat done by him?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
^^^ Full Canvas, have you ever had a suit or sportcoat done by him?

Yes: Suits, Odd Jackets, Overcoats, Trousers, Vests. I am very happy with his work. He is also the only person I trust with all my old Sulka silk dressing gowns, smoking jackets, and pajamas. Use the links below to see why and how I became his client.

I've been a client for nearly seven years now. Call Romeo and make an appointment to stop-in and discuss your requirments. Take a look at his work. It's a no pressure situation since he is usually fairly busy with existing clients.

It took a couple of items to get my pattern where we were both pleased. Along the way we developed our own unique working language. It was like establishing any other relationship. It required some time and mutual desire for a common goal.

March 30, 2006
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...56&postcount=6

May 12, 2006
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...91&postcount=7

___

dankap911

Reaction score
Guys, Romeo is not only an amazing talented taiolr, but a really nice guy too. The suit he fixed for me fits perfectly. Im heading over there right now to get some other work done.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dankap911
Guys, Romeo is not only an amazing talented tailor, but a really nice guy too.

That pretty much sums it up.
smile.gif

___

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kei-bon

Originally Posted by Full Canvas
YES, He would do this sort of alteration.

___

FC, I guess he didn't read your link:

Quote from FC's link:

:For what it's worth, in a casual conversation with the North American representative for some of the very best cloth mills, that fellow opined to me that Romeo is one of America's top tailors."

"One of America's top tailors" sums it up. I would think that he could obviously handle just about any alteration. You make a great point about Romeo not being a stylist/designer, but more of an artisanal quality tailor.

He sounds like the opposite of someone like a Mimmo Spanno. I would love to see some samples of his work. He's not mentioned much here or at AAAC. Since Romeo is not a stylist with a "house style", I wonder what he would do for an unsophisticated client who asked for a suit to be made? Do you suppose Romeo would tell the customer to find a look that he likes and then he would make the client a suit based on that style.

It sounds like the bespoke items that he has made for you are an amalgam of Oxxford, Brioni, and Kiton. Would you say that your items from him are close to an Oxxford, Brioni, or Kiton silhouette, or are they definitely distinct?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Yes: Suits, Odd Jackets, Overcoats, Trousers, Vests. I am very happy with his work. He is also the only person I trust with all my old Sulka silk dressing gowns, smoking jackets, and pajamas. Use the links below to see why and how I became his client.

Did you ever work with Felice? I understand he was also an amazing tailor and well liked as a person. He died suddenly in an accident from what I recall.

Do you send your old Sulka gear to the Chauvinist shop? I bought some Sulka ties there on a few visits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads