or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 650

post #9736 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyzealot View Post
Which is the sleeker/more-modern last between the Barrie and Grant?

I am going to pick up a pair of cap-toe cordovan boots, I'd ideally get them on the Plaza last, but can't find them in stock anywhere. Would like to buy the closest comparable.

Grant is longer and sleeker. TTS in width, slightly too long in toe box

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #9737 of 91319
^ Actually, based on my discussions with Alden salespeople, the Barrie is the longest of all the lasts. It is also pretty bulbous in the toe box, and not as sleek as the grant last.

In terms of sizing, I measure a 9D on the brannock and my 8.5D cap toe boots on the grant last from Unionmade fit to perfection.

Just my opinion, but if you want something on a modern/sleek last, wait for the plaza. You will end up getting something on the Barrie or grant and when the plaza is available somewhere you will be second guessing yourself. Might want to try calling Yenni at JGilbert. They do a lot of plaza makeups.

Just my $.02
post #9738 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post
Just my opinion, but if you want something on a modern/sleek last, wait for the plaza. You will end up getting something on the Barrie or grant and when the plaza is available somewhere you will be second guessing yourself. Might want to try calling Yenni at JGilbert. They do a lot of plaza makeups.

Just my $.02

While that is sound advice and I agree that it is a modern, sleek last (Plaza), I have found that it is not a great last for wider feet. I have a similar issue with the Aberdeen last in terms of fit. For people like myself that border closer to "E" than "D" in the width, I find the Grant last as a great alternative to the Barrie. It is just as comfortable in the toe box as it is in the width, yet it does have a sleeker look than the Barrie. Sleek enough for me at least.

So I just wanted to add that caveat for the wider footed folks out there, looking for a nice pair of Alden shoes.
post #9739 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post
Just my opinion, but if you want something on a modern/sleek last, wait for the plaza.

Just my opinion, but if you want something sleek consider other brands!
post #9740 of 91319
As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like it. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.
post #9741 of 91319
So I am thinking of picking up a pair of suede chukka boots.
For peeps that own them, have you had any issues with it rubbing your ankles in a weird way.
I remember years ago I bought a pair of short boots and wore them one time amnd never again b/c of the way the boot hit my ankle...very painful.

Any insight is appreciated.
post #9742 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimabue View Post
As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like them. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

How has sizing down a full size on the barrie worked for you?
post #9743 of 91319
dammit, I waited too long on the ravello chukka from the shoe mart in 10.5. someone got the last one
post #9744 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimabue View Post
As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like them. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

Is the Barrie last vanity sized?
post #9745 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
I dunno, sometimes its hard to trust lighting, etc

the (restored) whiskey's in that photo (in the middle) look like #6 or something to me. and over time, I would think you could darken them up with polishes

Lots of nice looking new shoes in this thread. Also is not a whole lot of negativity like there was for a while which is good.

I made this photo my wallpaper on my laptop:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q94mNatWth...1600/front.JPG

Nothing new here, waiting for my #8 and black shell saddle shoes from Tom.

Really messed up a pair of calf plaze wingtips in the rain/snow/slush but I think I can fix them up.

Keep up the good work my Brothers of the Horse Ass.
post #9746 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Lots of nice looking new shoes in this thread. Also is not a whole lot of negativity like there was for a while which is good.

I made this photo my wallpaper on my laptop:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q94mNatWth...1600/front.JPG

Nothing new here, waiting for my #8 and black shell saddle shoes from Tom.

Really messed up a pair of calf plaze wingtips in the rain/snow/slush but I think I can fix them up.

Keep up the good work my Brothers of the Horse Ass.

Which #8's are you waiting on? The special make up he just did? If so, I ordered those as well and just need to get them out of my mind. That is the exact shoe I've been looking for...and now we wait...and wait...and wait...
post #9747 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post
Which #8's are you waiting on? The special make up he just did? If so, I ordered those as well and just need to get them out of my mind. That is the exact shoe I've been looking for...and now we wait...and wait...and wait...
It was a saddle shoe pre-order:



http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...n-saddle-shoe/

Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr.
post #9748 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I like the standard closed lacing much better on these than the blucher styled #4 shoes.
post #9749 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
It was a saddle shoe pre-order:



http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...n-saddle-shoe/

Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr.

Damn those are nice!
post #9750 of 91319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I like the standard closed lacing much better on these than the blucher styled #4 shoes.

I agree. I love this shoe. I love the exposed eyelets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post
Damn those are nice!

These were pre-order so I am hoping they will come in within the next 8 weeks. I cannot speak for Tom but he usually has some for general sle that come in at the same time depending on your size. He's crazy like that!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***