or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 57

post #841 of 91614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
^ good-looking boot. is that horween chromexcel in the alden roy boot the same as the horween chromexcel in the wolverine 1000 mile? looks like it. i prefer the barrie's shape, the storm welt, and crepe sole to the wolverine boot. otherwise how are they different for $325 vs $445

Killer boots, man:

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #842 of 91614
Damn those Context guys

I bought the Tanker and I just picked up Indy boots and now these come out. Killer looking boots, I'm going to have to stop in and check those out for sure....though not sure I can afford them.
post #843 of 91614
ok so im in the market to get new boots for fall/winter. so forgive my noobishness... i was under the impression that aldens (especially the cordovans) are more for looks and to wear out for nice occasions, etc. but not to be rough with them and use them for wearing in tough weather and for general outdoor purposes. is that for aldens in general or just because of the cordovan material? those context roy boots look great and they say these are a "lifetime" boot. which i am guessing is to mean they are supposed to be worn rough and to wear them hard? i was thinking of getting some redwings but these look amazing ...
post #844 of 91614
Those look great, nice work again context.
post #845 of 91614
Just curious, I have seen Alden do this a lot but what is the purpose of leather toes in the sole? Does it serve any purpose or just for looks? People usually gets leather soled shoes toppied (sp?) by the toe to protect the leather but this one seems to go teh opposite direction by putting the leather ina position where it will most like get messed up faster.

Beautiful none-theless.
post #846 of 91614
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude View Post
i was under the impression that aldens (especially the cordovans) are more for looks and to wear out for nice occasions, etc. but not to be rough with them and use them for wearing in tough weather and for general outdoor purposes. is that for aldens in general or just because of the cordovan material?

alden's workwear boots ... this, the indy, etc. ... are as tough as anything red wing or chippewa or wolverine or whatever.

some will pamper them more because they paid more for them. not too many are going to wear $650 shell boots out in the snow, or to dig up trees, or to stand on the street all day with the orange vest holding the "SLOW" sign.
post #847 of 91614
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Just curious, I have seen Alden do this a lot but what is the purpose of leather toes in the sole? Does it serve any purpose or just for looks? People usually gets leather soled shoes toppied (sp?) by the toe to protect the leather but this one seems to go teh opposite direction by putting the leather ina position where it will most like get messed up faster.
It's easier and cheaper to replace a worn down leather toe than it is to replace an entire crepe sole.
post #848 of 91614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
alden's workwear boots ... this, the indy, etc. ... are as tough as anything red wing or chippewa or wolverine or whatever.

some will pamper them more because they paid more for them. not too many are going to wear $650 shell boots out in the snow, or to dig up trees, or to stand on the street all day with the orange vest holding the "SLOW" sign.

great thanks, you helped alot ... yeah i was hoping it was just the material of shell cordovan that was to be more pampered. but i figured that these could be dealt with more "realistically"

i understand the argument that if you were going to be really rough whats the point of spending 450+ on these, but im leaning more towards if these will really last a long time why NOT spend that much. those wovlerines 1000 are 350 and redwings range upwards of 250. so i would spend the extra 100+ for these for the quality, look, and last ...
post #849 of 91614
how do you size these? if i wear a 8.5 in clarks db and a 42 in common projects, do i got 8.5 in these aldens or should i go to an 8?
post #850 of 91614
I wear a 41 in CP and and 8 in Aldens (regardless of the last). If 42's fit you well in CP then I would go with a 8.5 or 9. (8.5 is a safer bet in the Barrie last since this last runs slightly larger than most other Alden lasts.)
post #851 of 91614
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post
It's easier and cheaper to replace a worn down leather toe than it is to replace an entire crepe sole.

Ahhh, that makes sense, but wouldn't be easier if they just made that part rubber (non-crepe)? It'll be cheaper and easier to change I would imagine. I guess I'm just over analizing at that point.
post #852 of 91614
PSA Alden's NYC store (212 678-3023) has whiskey shell cordovan in stock. Just picked up a pair of the longwings that I've been looking for for years now, apparently they have chukkas and PTBs as well.
post #853 of 91614
what was the going price on those? woohoo 1000th post
post #854 of 91614
Those context boots with the crepe sole are pretty slick, I had no idea they were even making those till I got the e-mail. I wonder if they are going to have any more "context exclusive" models in the future, would be interested to see if they do any other lasts than the Barrie. I gotta put up pics of the af-89s that I got recently which are on the leydon last, Alden of Carmel really has some very beautiful high boot models.
post #855 of 91614
the context boots look good head on, but something is off with the side profile. the sole color maybe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***