or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 5473

post #82081 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post
 

You're right that does sound ignorant.  

Alden factory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNYbOMVV0Us

 

Crockett & Jones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxbk8PfFePY

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #82082 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post
 

Alden factory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNYbOMVV0Us

 

Crockett & Jones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxbk8PfFePY

I understand what you're saying in your post.  I realize what the people at the Alden factory look like.  You're just coming to a conclusion that Alden workers don't take pride in their work because of how they look.  Seems more than a little shallow to me.    

post #82083 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post
 

I understand what you're saying in your post.  I realize what the people at the Alden factory look like.  You're just coming to a conclusion that Alden workers don't take pride in their work because of how they look.  Seems more than a little shallow to me.    

 

I am not sure I classify it as pride. I bet if we were in the Alden factory, we'd be way more OCD than the typical employee there.

post #82084 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post
 

Alden's quality control is lacking. And this might sound ignorant, but Leffot posted a video of them at the Alden factory. The employees there who work on the shoes look like they only buy square toe dress shoes at DSW when there is a wedding coming up. The women who work there look like the type that thinks anything over 100 on a shoe is a rip off. They likely don't even like any of the shoes they make. When you look at a Crockett & Jones factory video, the employees seem more sophisticated and more the type who enjoy high end shoes, and I think that plays a role and C&J just being better than Alden.

You're right that does sound ignorant.  


Or, Alden workers could be more about comfort and working within a family owned business that's admittedly not very public facing. They barely respond to email, from what some reps have told me. They're just old school.
post #82085 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post
 

 

I am not sure I classify it as pride. I bet if we were in the Alden factory, we'd be way more OCD than the typical employee there.

I see.  So you're saying that someone can't possibly take pride in their work because they don't look the way YOU think they should look?  I'm really not trying to pick a fight or anything...  I just think it's crappy to paint people in a certain light because they might not dress or look the way you would like them to.  If you don't like Alden because of the QC issues, then fine.  But don't belittle people based on how much money they can or do spend on clothes.  

post #82086 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post


Or, Alden workers could be more about comfort and working within a family owned business that's admittedly not very public facing. They barely respond to email, from what some reps have told me. They're just old school.

The quality control doesn't match their prices and that's on them. I have Alden shoes. Many of them. They're overpriced. Even the DC Lewis shoes made in Taiwan have better quality control.

post #82087 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaDR View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hello all,

Long time lurker, finally decided to see what all the fuss was about biggrin.gif






Managed to snag a pair of the cigar cap toes from DC.  Inspected both boots and the leather looks excellent, but I did notice an issue with the welt on the outside of the left boot.  Looks like they messed up the stitching and even missed a hole angry.gif  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






After paying over $800 for a pair of boots, part of me thinks that everything should be perfect.  But I've felt this way about imperfections on other shoes before, and I can't even recall what they were at this point.  I only see the messed stitching after close scrutiny, and I don't even notice them when the boots are on.  And did I mention I absolutely love this shade?  



If that is the only QC issue, IMO you got off easy.

Something to consider is that a QC issue with the uppers would likely always exist, whereas the welt will be replaced when you resole them. In fact, even if the welt was perfect now, the next resole job could come back looking like this (or the other way around).
post #82088 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post
 

I see.  So you're saying that someone can't possibly take pride in their work because they don't look the way YOU think they should look?  I'm really not trying to pick a fight or anything...  I just think it's crappy to paint people in a certain light because they might not dress or look the way you would like them to.  If you don't like Alden because of the QC issues, then fine.  But don't belittle people based on how much money they can or do spend on clothes.  

 

No, you are putting words in my mouth. I already said I don't know if it is an issue of pride. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me that they'd let certain things slide because they figure it's still good, even with the issues. 

 

Check out the other threads from other manufacturers. None of them include as many complaints when it comes to QC as Alden. Something is up with their workers or process.

post #82089 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post
 

 

No, you are putting words in my mouth. I already said I don't know if it is an issue of pride. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me that they'd let certain things slide because they figure it's still good, even with the issues. 

 

Check out the other threads from other manufacturers. None of them include as many complains when it comes to QC as Alden. 


Have to agree with thams here. Basing someone's work ethic, ability level, or really, any personal trait at all, other than sartorial awareness, on how they appear, either in looks, or outfit, is at best a gross over generalization, but in reality is just plain prejudice. EG likely produces better shoes because it, as a company, holds its employees to a higher standard, not because they are better clothed.

post #82090 of 91772

d


Edited by Shouldaville - 5/16/14 at 5:56pm
post #82091 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post
 


Have to agree with thams here. Basing someone's work ethic, ability level, or really, any personal trait at all, other than sartorial awareness, on how they appear, either in looks, or outfit, is at best a gross over generalization, but in reality is just plain prejudice. EG likely produces better shoes because it, as a company, holds its employees to a higher standard, not because they are better clothed.

It is not because of them being "better clothed." It's everything in even how they look making the shoe compared to the employees at C&J. Look at the clicker at C&J. Yeah, that's why C&J calf is way better than Alden calf. 

 

I did not bring up work ethic or ability level. You guys are just assuming I meant that.

 

The employees just look to me not as sophisticated sartorially as the C&J employees. Whether or not that's actually true, I don't know. It's a guess. I believe, however, that if you love or have more personal interest in what you make, the more likely hood of better results and attention to detail. When you have a guy wearing on a gangsta ecko shirt (the rhino on the shirt), it might be safe to assume he doesn't even give a shit whether or not his own shoes are goodyear welted.

 

I doubt Alden employees could make it in an EG factory.

 

Also, despite what you learned in preschool all the way to college, it's perfectly ok to make generalizations about someone. It doesn't mean you accept the generalizations as fact, but do not ignore your gut and keep it in mind when getting to know someone. If I saw a guy with a shaved head and a swastika tattooed to his face, you are damn right that I and all of you will make generalizations about that person, whether or not you want to admit it.

post #82092 of 91772

Having an issue with the speedhooks on my J Crew PCTs... some of them seem to be pulling loose.  These are about a year old, worn maybe two dozen times, I don't lace them all that tight.  Can any cobbler fix this, or does it have to go back to the factory?

 

 

post #82093 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post
 

Alden's quality control is lacking. And this might sound ignorant, but Leffot posted a video of them at the Alden factory. The employees there who work on the shoes look like they only buy square toe dress shoes at DSW when there is a wedding coming up. The women who work there look like the type that thinks anything over 100 on a shoe is a rip off. They likely don't even like any of the shoes they make. When you look at a Crockett & Jones factory video, the employees seem more sophisticated and more the type who enjoy high end shoes, and I think that plays a role in C&J just being better than Alden.

 

The stitching is unacceptable and I would get it exchanged or returned.

 

Easy there killer 

post #82094 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omert4 View Post

Also, despite what you learned in preschool all the way to college, it's perfectly ok to make generalizations about someone.

I agree... and when someone posts an ignorant statement, I generalize they are an ignorant twit. Fair enough? ..... Works for me.
post #82095 of 91772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post


I agree... and when someone posts an ignorant statement, I generalize they are an ignorant twit. Fair enough? ..... Works for me.

 

Pretty much how it works for me too...

 

As somebody who spends lots of time in factories all over the world, very little of this has to do with the workers themselves.  It doesn't matter how they dress or look, their management sets the tone for what is acceptable on all fronts quality being just one; there is likely a QC group that audits quality regularly per their standards.

 

The entire premise that its down to the workers is silly.

 

BN

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***