or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 5359

post #80371 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post
 

Okay guys, now that the temperature here is consistently hitting the upper 70s and lower 80s I'm ready to grab some white (not cream) suede or nubuck bucks.  I really like the white LWBs that Leffot just released and the regular bucks that we've seen on here.  My only hesitation is paying $550 for shoes that I can only wear a few months of the year.  Are there any good/acceptable and cheaper alternatives in a wingtip or plain buck in white that I should consider?  I almost hit the purchase button on those LWBs, but I want to look around before I pay that much for these.  Thanks as always.

I gave Walkover saddles a try (chocolate brown and tan suede).  I know they make a LW in white with red brick sole.  I got mine (relatively) cheap on ebay for $130 in mint condition (it sure looked unused).  They're okay; well-made and comfort is decent, but I don't care for the sole.  I reach for my tan suede-navy chrmxl saddles (Leffot) more frequently.  Not a huge fan of red brick sole. I'm not sure the Alden version of what you are looking for is that much better, but I have never tried on that shoe.

post #80372 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post
The man wants filet mignon and you are offering him dog kibble...

The man wants a cheaper version of filet mignon...  The J Crew suede wingtips are pretty crappy.  I would not recommend them even at 30% off

post #80373 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

Thanks man. The pct I think I prefer over the CT. I want a version with commando soles, but only the ct at Unionmade has commandos.

I think pct has more character.

Preachin' to the choir my friend!  I would snag the PCT if J Crew has your size.  The Unionmade ct would still be a really nice alternative.  I do like the commando sole.  Good luck!

post #80374 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I gave Walkover saddles a try (chocolate brown and tan suede).  I know they make a LW in white with red brick sole.  I got mine (relatively) cheap on ebay for $130 in mint condition (it sure looked unused).  They're okay; well-made and comfort is decent, but I don't care for the sole.  I reach for my tan suede-navy chrmxl saddles (Leffot) more frequently.  Not a huge fan of red brick sole. I'm not sure the Alden version of what you are looking for is that much better, but I have never tried on that shoe.

 

Thanks, this is helpful.  I just found the walk-over LWB you were referring to but they are out of stock.  It does go for almost $300 cheaper than the Alden, so I may contact them to see when they will get more in stock and give that one a try.  I like the brass eyelets on the Leffot version, but I'm not sure Alden and brass eyelets are worth an extra $300 for this particular shoe.  AE used to offer a white suede shortwing called the Spiaggia, but I don't think they offer those any more.

post #80375 of 97048

Took a few days off from our thread and gave up trying to read through all of the posts I missed.  Congrats to all the cigar ct winners from DC!  They look fabulous.  @MrDV, the#4 atoms look stunning! :worship2:

 

Today was a ravello LWB day for me.  Mine look more red than most...

 

After wearing half the day, they need a good brushing... pollen accumulates on cars and shoes as well!

post #80376 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

Thanks, this is helpful.  I just found the walk-over LWB you were referring to but they are out of stock.  It does go for almost $300 cheaper than the Alden, so I may contact them to see when they will get more in stock and give that one a try.  I like the brass eyelets on the Leffot version, but I'm not sure Alden and brass eyelets are worth an extra $300 for this particular shoe.  AE used to offer a white suede shortwing called the Spiaggia, but I don't think they offer those any more.
Yea, I just checked out AE for you. They used to have the white Player's shoe as well. I believe it was suede. No go on that, either.
post #80377 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Took a few days off from our thread and gave up trying to read through all of the posts I missed.  Congrats to all the cigar ct winners from DC!  They look fabulous.  @MrDV, the#4 atoms look stunning! :worship2:

 

Today was a ravello LWB day for me.  Mine look more red than most...

 

After wearing half the day, they need a good brushing... pollen accumulates on cars and shoes as well!

 

Those are stunning!  On my wish list.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Yea, I just checked out AE for you. They used to have the white Player's shoe as well. I believe it was suede. No go on that, either.

 

Thanks man.  I'll keep looking around and see what I can find before pulling the trigger on the Alden LWBs.

post #80378 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

The man wants a cheaper version of filet mignon...  The J Crew suede wingtips are pretty crappy.  I would not recommend them even at 30% off

 

Good to know about those ones, I picked up the snuff suede PTB on crepe that J Crew sells for under $100 and I think they were worth every penny. Basically is my poverty version of the Alden Snuff pair that I have been drooling over for a while.

post #80379 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

 

Good to know about those ones, I picked up the snuff suede PTB on crepe that J Crew sells for under $100 and I think they were worth every penny. Basically is my poverty version of the Alden Snuff pair that I have been drooling over for a while.

I bought six pairs of J Crew bucks and saddles about ten years ago.  I absolutely loved them.  At $30-50 brand new for each pair from an ebay seller, they were easily the greatest bargain for shoes I have ever found.  Sadly, after about a decade of wear they are all starting to fall apart and can not be resoled or repaired (I've tried with no success).  I have been on a mission to find replacements over the past couple of summers.  I have decided that there are no cheap replacements.  The newest versions of J Crew suede saddles, bucks, wingtips, etc... are all crap.  Walkover is ok, but I would rather spend on Alden and have leather soles and know that they will last forever (with the possibility of resoles and other repair when necessary).

post #80380 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I bought six pairs of J Crew bucks and saddles about ten years ago.  I absolutely loved them.  At $30-50 brand new for each pair from an ebay seller, they were easily the greatest bargain for shoes I have ever found.  Sadly, after about a decade of wear they are all starting to fall apart and can not be resoled or repaired (I've tried with no success).  I have been on a mission to find replacements over the past couple of summers.  I have decided that there are no cheap replacements.  The newest versions of J Crew suede saddles, bucks, wingtips, etc... are all crap.  Walkover is ok, but I would rather spend on Alden and have leather soles and know that they will last forever (with the possibility of resoles and other repair when necessary).

 

To continue off the Alden discussion path, I just found some Nordstrom 1901 white bucks and wingtips for a cool $100.  Must be awesome quality, but who really cares for that price.  :lol:

 

Back to Alden, I sort of wish those LWBs from Leffot were on leather soles.  I beleive someone posted an Alden white buck with a leather sole, rather than the brick, on here a few weeks ago.  I need to spin back with the search function...

post #80381 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post
 

 

Thanks, this is helpful.  I just found the walk-over LWB you were referring to but they are out of stock.  It does go for almost $300 cheaper than the Alden, so I may contact them to see when they will get more in stock and give that one a try.  I like the brass eyelets on the Leffot version, but I'm not sure Alden and brass eyelets are worth an extra $300 for this particular shoe.  AE used to offer a white suede shortwing called the Spiaggia, but I don't think they offer those any more.

Check out the AE MTO program.

the MTO fee is waived as a SF member.

You can get any variation of shoe made.

Awhite buck with red danite would bee pretty slick.... just saying.

post #80382 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Check out the AE MTO program.
the MTO fee is waived as a SF member.
You can get any variation of shoe made.
Awhite buck with red danite would bee pretty slick.... just saying.

This MTO program is good to know about. Thanks for mentioning.
post #80383 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

To continue off the Alden discussion path, I just found some Nordstrom 1901 white bucks and wingtips for a cool $100.  Must be awesome quality, but who really cares for that price.  lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Back to Alden, I sort of wish those LWBs from Leffot were on leather soles.  I beleive someone posted an Alden white buck with a leather sole, rather than the brick, on here a few weeks ago.  I need to spin back with the search function...
It's OK. I bought a pair of Sperry bucks last year from DSW for like $50 and they have served me well. I beat the crap out of them in the summer. Not too worried about the build quality.
post #80384 of 97048
^Mr Clemson

While the 1901s are pretty good at its price point (on sale price point ths is, $60-$70), I highly doubt you're going to enjoy wearing the 1901s. Haha, if the quality of the Kentons are not acceptable, the 1901 would be a bigger hurdle.
post #80385 of 97048
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Check out the AE MTO program.
the MTO fee is waived as a SF member.
You can get any variation of shoe made.
Awhite buck with red danite would bee pretty slick.... just saying.

Summer will be over by the time he gets them, though.... haha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***