or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 5081

post #76201 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

those look great. just curious, why wait until warmer weather? because of snow? i've been wearing suede all winter and loving it.

If it were a normal Detroit winter, I'd probably have worn them by now but we have had so much snow this year (closing in on 100") that the streets, sidewalks, and parking lots have been a constant pool of slush and salt which are what I was really trying to avoid. I have other suede shoes and boots that I've worn all winter long but those ones were already broken in so I wouldn't have been as disheartened if I got them stained.

Now that I've worn these NST boots, I wont baby them nearly as much anymore.
post #76202 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

I wear the same Barrie and van size. The length and heel are good, but the instep is (was) too tight. I use bootbarn boot trees in them, they stretched the instep and now feel comfortable. Van tts feels way too long and lose, the bb version fits much better tts.

Two questions:

1. When you say the instep is (was) too tight, I take it that you are referring to LHS on the Van last (and not some other shoe on the Barrie). Am I correct?
2. Were the shoes that you were able to stretch made of shell or calf?

I have a high instep. A few years ago I tried on a pair of shell LHS in my Barrie size. I walked maybe a total of 15 to 20 yards in them. The length was fine with no heel slippage but I didn't get them because they were very tight across the instep. The following day my feet hurt badly, almost as if the bones in my instep were cracked.
post #76203 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

good deal on the 403 over at O'connells if they have your size.. should go 30% tmrw 

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=18107&cat=339&page=1

I've been waiting all morning for the price to change. Any idea at what time they update it?
post #76204 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post

I've been waiting all morning for the price to change. Any idea at what time they update it?

I just checked and it IS updated. Hurry!!!!
post #76205 of 96983
Looks like 10am is when they do the price change. I actually decided to go with the welterweight walker in burgundy. Figure that would come in much more handy in Texas than the kudu chukkas.
post #76206 of 96983

Speaking of 30% off sales...

 

Anyone know when the BB Corporate Event begins?

post #76207 of 96983
The 20th per the email I got
post #76208 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post

I don't like the LHS but that is because I don't like penny loafers. The stitching is not nearly as offensive to me as on the indys though because it looks natural and follows the curve of the toe. With the indys, the stitching is almost square while the toe is very round which creates visual dissonance for me. The NST has similar stitching which I think looks great because it also follows the shape of the toe.

Even as a huge Indy fan, I have to agree with you here regarding stitching. The old machine-sewn toes on cordovan boots and currently on the 403 and 405 look great. But the shift from machine to hand-sewn mocc stitching on cordovan Indys has resulted in some extreme variability in stitching contour. Some pairs look okay, but others have become so squared off that they have a tendency to look extremely dumpy. The old machine stitching at the very least worked with the bigger shape of the Trubalance toe box but I see pairs on this forum in rare shell colors that I would not purchase even if they were available for sale because of the squared off mocc hand stitching.

No offense intended to those members with Indys I'm describing...

nest.gif
post #76209 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post
Awesome DV. Those take your collection to another level. I'd have more monks in my collection but there are very few floating around from Alden in shell...
I've been on a whiskey monk wait list since early 2012 ...i wont hold my breath

thanks blue. I was lucky to get them, I now have double (carmina) and single (alden) monks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgreen View Post
Two questions:
1. When you say the instep is (was) too tight, I take it that you are referring to LHS on the Van last (and not some other shoe on the Barrie). Am I correct?
2. Were the shoes that you were able to stretch made of shell or calf?
I have a high instep. A few years ago I tried on a pair of shell LHS in my Barrie size. I walked maybe a total of 15 to 20 yards in them. The length was fine with no heel slippage but I didn't get them because they were very tight across the instep. The following day my feet hurt badly, almost as if the bones in my instep were cracked.

yes, the van lhs instep is too tight for me. I was able to stretch shell lhs with the boot trees. the shoes may have stretched a bit with regular wear, but I wouldn't have been able to wear them at all without stretching them first.

post #76210 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

yes, the van lhs instep is too tight for me. I was able to stretch shell lhs with the boot trees. the shoes may have stretched a bit with regular wear, but I wouldn't have been able to wear them at all without stretching them first.

Thanks.
post #76211 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

thanks blue. I was lucky to get them, I now have double (carmina) and single (alden) monks.

yes, the van lhs instep is too tight for me. I was able to stretch shell lhs with the boot trees. the shoes may have stretched a bit with regular wear, but I wouldn't have been able to wear them at all without stretching them first.


what a beautiful shot
post #76212 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

thanks blue. I was lucky to get them, I now have double (carmina) and single (alden) monks.

 

yes, the van lhs instep is too tight for me. I was able to stretch shell lhs with the boot trees. the shoes may have stretched a bit with regular wear, but I wouldn't have been able to wear them at all without stretching them first.

thanks for the suggestion. i just ordered the rochester boot tree from amazon and will report back (boot barn was sold out of large sizes).  appreciate it, Mr. DV!

post #76213 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

thanks blue. I was lucky to get them, I now have double (carmina) and single (alden) monks.

yes, the van lhs instep is too tight for me. I was able to stretch shell lhs with the boot trees. the shoes may have stretched a bit with regular wear, but I wouldn't have been able to wear them at all without stretching them first.

I need to get those trees. I stay away from loafers for instep reasons. Is Boot barn where to buy these trees?
post #76214 of 96983

Just be careful when stretching cordovan shoes.  It's easy to stretch them too much and also to cause distortion in the shape.  But best of luck.  Cheers. 

post #76215 of 96983
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post
 

Just be careful when stretching cordovan shoes.  It's easy to stretch them too much and also to cause distortion in the shape.  But best of luck.  Cheers. 

Or it can tear.  It doesn't stretch much, it will tear under enough tension before it stretches enough to make a huge difference.

 

This old pair, for example, that my dad had been putting trees in that were too big.

 

(Crappy photos, I know)

 

Another example would be how carmina stopped making certain laceless boots in shell because the leather would frequently tear when they remove the last.  (Albeit carmina shell is dryer so probably more susceptible to tearing.)

 

What is most likely happening when you stretch the instep of a pair of LHS is that these threads are doing most of the stretching (or breaking) like has happened on all of my pairs of LHS from my high instep.

 

57c900df_DSCF0026.jpg

 

Just a word of caution.  I would not hesitate to adopt Mr DV's technique for the LHS, but just thought I'd warn others who might think that they can stretch a pair of shells that are too small to fit based on his experience.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***