or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 5057

post #75841 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherBerr View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


My second favorite pair of Aldens in my closet...though I still need to take these to B. Nelson for some steel toe taps... musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

These are great.

I really want to own a pair of #8 or cigar cap toe bals. But at least for now, I rarely wear a suit or even a sport coat due to my casual work environment, so I don't think they'd easily work into my rotation. I suppose the practical answer is: "well, should you find yourself wearing suits/sport coats more regularly in the future, then consider picking up a pair at that time." Agreed?...or is someone going to be an enabler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

2210's today.  Love this shoe 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


A year ago, I didn't get this style. Now, I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

Ravello PTB Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

One of my personal favorites.
post #75842 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

Great looking shoes, but why not have one of them in color 8? 


Because neither of those models (J Crew Cadet and Leffot LWB w/flat welt) come in color 8.

[Sorry if this has already been said, I've been out a couple of days and just now catching up]

post #75843 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

These are great.

I really want to own a pair of #8 or cigar cap toe bals. But at least for now, I rarely wear a suit or even a sport coat due to my casual work environment, so I don't think they'd easily work into my rotation. I suppose the practical answer is: "well, should you find yourself wearing suits/sport coats more regularly in the future, then consider picking up a pair at that time." Agreed?...or is someone going to be an enabler?
A year ago, I didn't get this style. Now, I love it.
One of my personal favorites.

I wore my perf captoes with slacks and dress shirts at work. It's not as formal as you might think.

If it was a plain toe or straight cap, I'd think twice about it.
post #75844 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinM View Post
 

Makes me real nervous ordering from J Crew.  There is always a fair chance for such thing to happen when the retailer has a liberal return policy.   

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistant View Post
 

JCrew should cover that shipping - someone dumped a return or stollen goods on JCrew which became mixed in. Someone else is or will soon experience the same issue as you have.

 

To Resistant and RobinM: to their credit, J. Crew customer service was outstanding. The phone rep found another pair in my size in a retail store in about 3 minutes, waived overnight shipping, immediately refunded the "bad" pair and processed the charge for the new ones, and told me to send back the bad pair soon. Nice way to make it right. 

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

To complicate maters,
Which color did u like better? Left or right?

 

Right, I think, but honestly something in the middle of the two is what I was picturing from all the photos I've seen online. The right is almost too dark, and the left too reddish/light. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinopcollector View Post


My guess is that the left shoe was the display model and naturally lightened from exposure to the store lighting.

 

That's a good guess. 

post #75845 of 97064
Regardless of what some think of their product, I've always had good experiences with JCrew's customer service.
post #75846 of 97064

This may sound crazy but I finally un-boxed my Whiskey PTBs purchased from Alden SF 2+ months ago.  Was going to try them on but they forgot to include laces.  Comparison shot to a pair of year old Whiskey LHS.  

 

 

post #75847 of 97064

I have purchased three Alden for J Crew pairs and have never had any issues.  I suspect the majority of Alden for J Crew purchases have gone without drama, but I may be incorrect.

post #75848 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


The shoes look outstanding in that photo. That said, wingtips and longwings aren't for everyone. I know some well dressed people that, while acknowledging that my shoes look good on me, would never really wear Aldens because they don't think are sleek enough of whatever.

 

I actually do like wingtips. I think a lot of the hesitancy for me is that I'm trying to get away from leather soles and trying to acquire stuff that would work in rain as well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
 

What's your size, Vicious? :smarmy:

 

In Barrie it's 8.5D

post #75849 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post

Yes sir, if the location matches my own.

You don't think my asking price is unfair, do you?

I'm not an Alden eBay aficionado, so I can't really speak to the competitiveness of your pricing on eBay. For me, the pricing is to close to what I could potentially get from the BB Corp sale for a similar model, "unworn" and returnable … that is if they ever get a restock. They may have more wear, but I think Sazon/Uncle Mac is selling the same model in 8.5C for $342 … now that's a steal! If I were a half size smaller or had a narrower foot, I'd be all over them.

It all comes down to how quickly you need to move them vs how much of a hit you're willing to take. Good luck!!
post #75850 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

I'm not an Alden eBay aficionado, so I can't really speak to the competitiveness of your pricing on eBay. For me, the pricing is to close to what I could potentially get from the BB Corp sale for a similar model, "unworn" and returnable … that is if they ever get a restock. They may have more wear, but I think Sazon/Uncle Mac is selling the same model in 8.5C for $342 … now that's a steal! If I were a half size smaller or had a narrower foot, I'd be all over them.

It all comes down to how quickly you need to move them vs how much of a hit you're willing to take. Good luck!!

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback.

My reasoning was mostly due to the fact that these shoes are nearly 700 new, I'm eating shipping, and even the heels haven't really worn yet.

Not really in a hurry to move them, but they're never going to fit right.
post #75851 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslonghorn4 View Post
 

This may sound crazy but I finally un-boxed my Whiskey PTBs purchased from Alden SF 2+ months ago.  Was going to try them on but they forgot to include laces.  Comparison shot to a pair of year old Whiskey LHS.  

 

 

dslonghorn, those are some smokin whiskey ptbs. i needs me some of those.

 

and your whiskey lhs have made me very excited about tomorrow, sometime during which my whiskey loafers are supposed to arrive. I hope they have the same consistent color yours appear to have.

post #75852 of 97064
I also agree that it's tough to beat Mac collection pricing. But those are being sold off of a large collection and that's a really uncommon size, so I'm not sure if it's basic economics at work.
post #75853 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post

I also agree that it's tough to beat Mac collection pricing. But those are being sold off of a large collection and that's a really uncommon size, so I'm not sure if it's basic economics at work.

Agreed. I also should have added that those have been discounted even more … I think they were closer to your price when they first posted them. Like I said earlier, you'll find a buyer soon. Cheers!
post #75854 of 97064

Hi everyone,

 

I'm looking to get my second pair of Alden's - looking for an Indy boot but want something different than the standard 403/405 offerings. 

 

At the moment looking at the Tobacco Chamois Indy from Shoe Mart, but also possibly the AF108 black calf from Alden of Carmel. I guess I am leaning toward the chamois because I want to be a little rough with this one if need be. The AF108, does look pretty striking in all black calf, and dressier, though.

 

Anyone have either and have any strong feelings on the subject or better ideas?

 

Thanks

 

(My first pair of Alden's, purchased a few weeks ago, was a pair of #8 shell Indy boots, and I like the trubalance last so much - it feels like the first last that has been really comfortable for my foot - that I am determined to get another one. I have a solid collection of Tricker's, none of which fit ideally, but I am seemingly sliding over into the Alden camp….)

post #75855 of 97064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post

I also agree that it's tough to beat Mac collection pricing. But those are being sold off of a large collection and that's a really uncommon size, so I'm not sure if it's basic economics at work.

 

The C widths don't sell nearly as well when it comes to resale as a standard D. If Mac were selling 8.5D, most of them would have already been scooped up by now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***