or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 504

post #7546 of 79126
I also hate the Indy boot, I don't get it. to me it's just an expensive clunky boot. in shell it's better, but that's far from what I would do with $650, any of the Barrie or Plaza lasted boots are so much more versatile and better looking I can't imagine wearing it with anything but jeans, which makes it...odd to me, especially if you often go to work in something other than jeans

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #7547 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
for those that own standard issue, 2 eyelet Barrie last chukkas - how "locked in" do your feet feel? I feel like I am wearing the right size (shoe is snug all over, but not overly so) EXCEPT for the area above the laces. the extra material around the ankle just kind of floats there, and I can flex my ankle really far forward. it almost feels less secure than a blucher, even though I was expecting more of a true boot/bulletproof feel.

thoughts?

Both Barrie and Leydon chukkas feel that way to me.
I thought that was pretty much an attribute of 2 eyelet shoes.
post #7548 of 79126
thanks Zippy I have only owned 1 other 2 eyelet chukka but it didn't feel quite that way...the eyelets went up much further though
post #7549 of 79126
thor i also wear 7d in barrie i take a 7.5d in grant. i've also tried on a 7d in grant and its a bit too snug.
post #7550 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
I need to size up .5 when going from the Barrie to the Aberdeen to get a reasonable length. I can't help with length since I've never been able to find a comfortable fitting on the Aberdeen.

You really need to try on anything on the Aberdeen before plunking down considerable $ for shoes (a mistake I made). The heel is much looser than on the Barrie and while the toe box is tight, it is quite loose through the vamp.

I recently purchased a pair of NSTs on the Aberdeen last and they felt more or less fine at first, but as the shoe broke in, my feet began to slide all over the place. If you have to buy online, do yourself a favor and wear them on carpet only for a week before deciding whether to keep them.

I think all of us who love Alden have gotten spoiled by the Barrie and Trubalance lasts, which accomodate a wide variety of feet with the utmost comfort and style. The Aberdeen is nowhere near as forgiving.
post #7551 of 79126
Can't believe no one has posted Tom's #4 shell cordovan PTBs (not ravello)
post #7552 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
You really need to try on anything on the Aberdeen before plunking down considerable $ for shoes (a mistake I made). The heel is much looser than on the Barrie and while the toe box is tight, it is quite loose through the vamp.

I recently purchased a pair of NSTs on the Aberdeen last and they felt more or less fine at first, but as the shoe broke in, my feet began to slide all over the place. If you have to buy online, do yourself a favor and wear them on carpet only for a week before deciding whether to keep them.

I think all of us who love Alden have gotten spoiled by the Barrie and Trubalance lasts, which accomodate a wide variety of feet with the utmost comfort and style. The Aberdeen is nowhere near as forgiving.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Out of curiosity, what size do you wear in Barrie and Trubalance lasted shoes?
post #7553 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomane View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that. Out of curiosity, what size do you wear in Barrie and Trubalance lasted shoes?

I wear a 11D in Barrie and Trubalance. I purchased and 11.5D Aberdeen, and lengthwise it is fine, but it is so wide in the heel that it does not grip my foot (and my heel feels as though it could slide right out of the shoe at any time). I may be forced to sell the shoes at a loss.
post #7554 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post
Can't believe no one has posted Tom's #4 shell cordovan PTBs (not ravello)




Sold out already,
post #7555 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
a lot of people seem to wear or own the indy and i know it comes in a lot of varieties now, but what is the consensus on soles? what sole unit do people prefer best?

which is best for all round wear and which is regarded as most comfortable?

also, if you could put any sole on yours what would you choose?
I agree with what people have said about the Indy boot being most appropriate with jeans. It does look rather utilitarian, and as such I find the commando sole the perfect match for it (i.e. any of the LS Ultimate Indy's). My cigar Indy's get the most wear almost strictly for the versatility of the commando sole; that and I wear jeans seven days a week.

On an unrelated note, I experimented with the durability of cordovan in the rain after getting caught in a downpour last week. I tried wiping off the drops by rubbing my foot against my pant leg (jeans, of course) as soon as I got under cover but despite my best efforts "welps" formed where they had gotten wet. I had some cotton balls handy in the office and rubbed vigorously while the leather was still slightly damp, successfully getting rid of most of the welps. When I got home, a wipe with a damp cloth followed up with the horsehair brush took care of the rest.
post #7556 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimabue View Post
May I ask, how much play do your black Indys get? I was thinking about getting 'em in black but am conflicted. I'm pretty big on cigar.

I wear the black Indies at least twice a week. I really love them
post #7557 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
I agree with what people have said about the Indy boot being most appropriate with jeans. It does look rather utilitarian, and as such I find the commando sole the perfect match for it (i.e. any of the LS Ultimate Indy's). My cigar Indy's get the most wear almost strictly for the versatility of the commando sole; that and I wear jeans seven days a week.

would be great to see some pics of your commando sole cigar indys with jeans. I currently only own the standard 405 indys - I love them as I can wear them the entire weekdays to work with jeans as well but when the need for dressier occasions arises I find them difficult to wear. Looking to get a pair of shell boots (cigar or ravello) but still cannot decide on which one. The cigar indys could be a likely candidate but not sure if i should go for commando or double leather soles. thanks in advance.
post #7558 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by madstaxbro View Post
Can anybody comment on the new cordovan tankers? Heard they were at Leather Soul for a bit and now they're in Context, but $625/pair, that's nearly my whole Black Friday budget.
Are they really worth it?

LS Cordovan tankers are worth every penny IME.
post #7559 of 79126
Quote:
Originally Posted by madstaxbro View Post
Can anybody comment on the new cordovan tankers? Heard they were at Leather Soul for a bit and now they're in Context, but $625/pair, that's nearly my whole Black Friday budget.
Are they really worth it?

Picked these up yesterday and they are awesome. Very versatile boot/color. Goes really well dressed up or down. #8 is so dark I thought it was black. In the light there is hint of brown/red that makes them unique. Haven't worn them out yet but can't wait. Worth every penny
post #7560 of 79126
Those context tankers are lovely, as are the #4s Tom.

Here's an update on my beloved captoe #8s, after a brisk walk through town they could use a buff and/or polish.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***