or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4969

post #74521 of 91445
So I sent my alden shoes back to alden for repair last week. Should I be expecting a receive confirmation from alden?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #74522 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

I hope you enjoy yours in good health, V49. If it's any consolation, yours will be more of an all-year shoe, whereas mine will likely only get worn in the spring and summer. (Plus, I had earned some karma points after missing out on the Union Hill Indys last week...). This can only mean you'll stumble on a Ravello plaza indy tomorrow or something smile.gif

I should be moving to Houston in the next 3 months or so. Unlined shoes are all year shoes there. I already have 3 pairs of Aldens that are unlined though so I should be well covered in that area. Mine are lined and should have a double sole instead of your flex sole. I'll post pics as soon as mine get here. Yours look terrific though. I love the color on them.
post #74523 of 91445

Got a question for you guys: I just picked up the unlined suede chukka on the leydon last in 1/2 size larger than my Barrie sizing, but same width. The retailer did not have additional widths. They seem tight, and I am wondering how much they will stretch? Do those of you that have them find they stretch to fit the foot a bit after some wearing, or am I looking at that tightness for the life of the shoe? 

 

Thanks for the help. 

post #74524 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessaboots View Post

Got a question for you guys: I just picked up the unlined suede chukka on the leydon last in 1/2 size larger than my Barrie sizing, but same width. The retailer did not have additional widths. They seem tight, and I am wondering how much they will stretch? Do those of you that have them find they stretch to fit the foot a bit after some wearing, or am I looking at that tightness for the life of the shoe? 

Thanks for the help. 

I wear 8.5D in Barrie last. I picked those same chukkas up in a 9E after reading that they run slim and my pinky toe still pokes in to the side a bit but not enough to be bothersome. I haven't worn them yet so can't tell you how much it's going to stretch.
post #74525 of 91445

I'm really second guessing the fit of my Grant cap toe boots.  How many people are the same size in trubalance/barrie as they are in grant?  I sized up half a size.  I feel like I may be squarely between sizes here.

 

The ball of my foot is just barely in front of the corner where the facing attaches to the vamp.  If I where thin dress socks my feet are sort of swimming in them.  I understand that you don't want shell to be too tight, though.  I really wish I lived near an Alden store.

post #74526 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernim View Post

I'm really second guessing the fit of my Grant cap toe boots.  How many people are the same size in trubalance/barrie as they are in grant?  I sized up half a size.  I feel like I may be squarely between sizes here.

The ball of my foot is just barely in front of the corner where the facing attaches to the vamp.  If I where thin dress socks my feet are sort of swimming in them.  I understand that you don't want shell to be too tight, though.  I really wish I lived near an Alden store.

Grant last is a tough one to size, kind of like the C&J 325 last which most of the C&J for RL shell offerings are built upon. like the 325, the Grant last is a tweener. I took my same size in barrie and the pinkie toe can begin to hurt after a long day. When I took a width wider, the toe resembled a barrie lasted shoe; all the sleekness of the grant slanted toe box disappeared. besides a more bulbous toe, the "e" width also feels a little too big; not only is it slightly too wide but the toe box is also a slightly taller. its kind of a shitty last to fit but is pretty to look at and is one of my favorites. if i could just have both, id probably put a ring on it

going tts on grant is also not ideal because youll have too much length resulting in excessive creasing and uneven wear

here is to looking good and feeling uncomfortable in our $700 boots cheers.gif
post #74527 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


Grant last is a tough one to size, kind of like the C&J 325 last which most of the C&J for RL shell offerings are built upon. like the 325, the Grant last is a tweener. I took my same size in barrie and the pinkie toe can begin to hurt after a long day. When I took a width wider, the toe resembled a barrie lasted shoe; all the sleekness of the grant slanted toe box disappeared. besides a more bulbous toe, the "e" width also feels a little too big; not only is it slightly too wide but the toe box is also a slightly taller. its kind of a shitty last to fit but is pretty to look at and is one of my favorites. if i could just have both, id probably put a ring on it

going tts on grant is also not ideal because youll have too much length resulting in excessive creasing and uneven wear

here is to looking good and feeling uncomfortable in our $700 boots cheers.gif

 

Well they aren't mine yet.  I've just been trying them on at home on the carpet and lounging.

post #74528 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Grant last is a tough one to size, kind of like the C&J 325 last which most of the C&J for RL shell offerings are built upon. like the 325, the Grant last is a tweener. I took my same size in barrie and the pinkie toe can begin to hurt after a long day. When I took a width wider, the toe resembled a barrie lasted shoe; all the sleekness of the grant slanted toe box disappeared. on my second pair i sized to an "e" width that now feels a little too big; not only is it slightly too wide but the toe box is also a slightly taller. its kind of a shitty last to fit but is pretty to look at and is one of my favorites. if i could just have both, id probably put a ring on it

going tts on grant is also not ideal because youll have too much length resulting in excessive creasing and uneven wear

I agree completely with Namor.

Grant last was tough fit for me to figure out even when I had the luxury of trying on multiple pairs at Alden DC (rather than guessing online). If I size up 1/2 from my Barrie/TrueB size it is too long; it fits me snug, but not uncomfortable, if I wear it in my Barry/TrueB size.

Individual foot shape also has a huge impact on the overall fit of many lasts. I have one foot that's nearly a half size smaller than my other foot so I have to consider that as well. The accumulated knowledge and advice on this forum is great to get you in the ballpark with sizing, but finding the perfect fit takes trial and error.
post #74529 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernim View Post

Well they aren't mine yet.  I've just been trying them on at home on the carpet and lounging.

you dont want to commit to poorly fitting shoes for the sake of looking good? awww, i had you mistaken for a fellow alden thread veteran blush.gif

what size did you get btw?
post #74530 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad View Post

I agree completely with Namor.

Grant last was tough fit for me to figure out even when I had the luxury of trying on multiple pairs at Alden DC (rather than guessing online). If I size up 1/2 from my Barrie/TrueB size it is too long; it fits me snug, but not uncomfortable, if I wear it in my Barry/TrueB size.

Individual foot shape also has a huge impact on the overall fit of many lasts. I have one foot that's nearly a half size smaller than my other foot so I have to consider that as well. The accumulated knowledge and advice on this forum is great to get you in the ballpark with sizing, but finding the perfect fit takes trial and error.

what did you end up with?
post #74531 of 91445
And as a few wise forum members have stated before, if you have any doubt about a fit it likely means that the shoe or boot just doesn't fit properly.

Trying to make a shoe or boot "fit" when improperly sized means that you'll shy away from wearing it and will likely favor another more comfortable pair. Then you've essentially purchased some lovely shell cordovan book ends or paperweights!
post #74532 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilios View Post

Howdy all. Question for the indy owners here.

After a few months of wear my indys have stretched and my pinkie toes deform the leather. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do? Or will my toe eventually break through the leather.

Also every time I step down the stairs my left boot makes a squeak/whoosh sound. Sort of like air coming out of the boot. Anyone else have this happen to them too?

The pinky toe issue happened to my CXL Indys in 8D (I'm an 8D in Barrie and 8.5D in Hampton).
It was so unattractive that I ended up selling the pair after a few wearings.
If I were to purchase Trubalance-lasted footwear again, I would choose a 7.5E or EE
post #74533 of 91445
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

what did you end up with?

I took my Grants in the same size as my Barrie/TrueB. I generally wear thicker socks my with Indys and Barrie wing tips boots and thinner socks with my Grant cap toes. The Grants are snug, not tight, and the Barrie/TrueBs are a more relaxed fit and accommodate a thicker sock. Easy on the feet.
post #74534 of 91445
Does anyone have sizing discrepancies between different shoe or boot styles on the same last (other than chukkas)? I don't mean the old debate of Barrie lasted shoes vs Barrie lasted boots. I've got Cigar Indys in 9D that fit like a champ and my newer AF53s also in 9D fit like the champ's bigger brother. Same last, same size, same width, different fit.
post #74535 of 91445

Doc and Vicious  - awesome looking CXL Chukkas tonight. Something in there air today I guess for us 8.5 D Barries. :cheers:  I stopped by and picked up some 6 eyed CXL Chukkas today from Need Supply.  My first Crepe Sole. So far so good.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***