Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4786
Styleforum Top Picks
Thanks Be. Buying a scotch grain calfskin boot was a bit of a divergence for me. However, I absolutely love them. It is my first UK made shoe/boot and C&J does a fantastic job. I'm very tempted to get the Harlech boot in shell one of these days.
RE: the shine on the PCT boots, I'm still a bit surprised at how well they shined up. I didn't keep them that shiny for long but they sure looked pretty in the sun.
In my class, we go beyond mere rote memorization/recall and seek the analysis and synthesis in Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning. Be prepared to write responses to prompts such as...
-To what extent are the price differences between Alden, AE, Carmina, and C&J Shell Cordovan shoes and boots warranted?
-Assess the validity of the following statement... Bluchers are inherently casual shoes that should not be worn with suits.
-Evaluate the relative importance of factors contributing to the decline in the American shoe industry over the last 60 years.
Be sure to develop strong thesis statements that directly respond to the prompt. Lastly, be prepared to orally defend your papers to the class!
(I'm ready to propose my curriculum to the Board of Regents!)
I too like both. Although admittedly nearly all of my calf is non-Alden (but I have some Alden calf and have nothing against it).
An argument can be made that a well rounded shoe/boot wardrobe contains shell, calf, scotch grain/country calf, and suede.
Here's a side by side of a Barrie (left) and the Wolvernine Model 744 (right):
Judge for yourself which one you think looks better.
The 744 is 11D and the Barrie is a 10D.
The 744 feels narrower in the heel area than the Barrie, and has a roomier toebox. I personally find the 744's relatively narrower heel/wider toe box combo very comfortable. In order for me to get a proper fit in Barrie, primarily in the heel and arch areas, I've had to move to 10.5C, which appears visually longer than a size 11 744 boot (C width addresses most issues that I had with the Barrie last fit).
before your ninja edit , I was going to just say that from the posts here about this, I took it as Unionmade threw their hands up at the condition of the shoe.. I'd be irritated if I received that pair posted personally, but luckily I've yet to experience such a poor item (from any retailer, other than my C&J McCallums )
- ***The official Alden thread ***
- › Uniqlo x Lemaire FW2015 thread 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 13 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 16 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 31 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 33 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 49 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 53 minutes ago
- › Colombo cashmere scarf 55 minutes ago
- › Dark blue Borsalino Fedora hat 57 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...