You could call them shit-kickers and they're still amazing!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4785
Styleforum Top Picks
My J Crew brown and tobacco LWBs (calf) are awesome shoes, but for full retail I would rather spend $150 more for shell. If you can get the calf for $300-400 I think they are great purchases; at $500+ it's a little overpriced. Nice pics, btw... wear in great health my friend!
My guess is these were items from past seasons that didn't sell and were released to a handful of ebay stores one of them is in Virginia and uses a couple of different usernames on the bay. I bought a pair of brown LWBs from the "Paisley Petunia" about three years ago (not sure if they are still around). They sell nothing but older j crew stock at about half the retail cost and sometimes much less. I have five pairs of J Crew suede PTBs and suede saddles I bought from them through ebay about 9 years ago. I purchased each of them for $25-$50 from the PP and they retailed for about $150-175 in previous seasons. If they are seconds I couldn't tell you how. They were my absolute favorite shoes until I wore them out (when I find what I like, I don't hold back); soles eventually worn down and fell off. Unfortunately there was no way to repair them. J Crew's newer versions are crap. This is why I decided to go with high quality, goodyear welted shoes. I tried various AE but they were much too uncomfortable. I picked up the Alden calf LWB and there was no turning back!
Sorry to ramble. I hope my personal story of Alden discovery and picking up cheap Alden for J Crew on ebay wasn't too off topic.
I don't get why most people prefer shell cordovan, I don't like the shine and I think they look too purplish. I definitely like the 2nd a lot more.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This post reminded me of a 'conversation' my wife and I had a few days ago. I came home from work the other day to a pleasant early delivery surprise from TSM. The box was in the study which is where my closet and shoes reside. On the desk was 4 pair of color 8 shoes and my wife dared me to explain how any one was different from the other 3......
Even she conceded the obvious difference in the Epalaut Alt Weins, but she felt pretty confident that there were no differences in the other 3. Of course, it was a conversation that I welcomed as the differences to me were so obvious. The basketball equivalent of a layup.
The reason this post reminded me of the conversation is that of the four, the jcrew's on plantation are chunkier than the others and I would prefer that they were a little sleeker. However they are easily my most worn of the 4 precisely because of the purplish hue that you mention. I love that deep deep purple-ish patina they have developed. It really is a matter of taste and preference.
Kind of a long-winded way of saying don't try to figure out why others prefer one over the other. Buy what you like and if you're purchasing Alden's, it is highly unlikely that those you interact with on a daily basis will be anything but impressed.
Thank you. I do it a lot because I know there are soo few pictures out there. I think this forum produces 80% of Alden pics in the world.
great looking shine there namor. what did you use?
nice looking boots be.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 7 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD (Guidi, CCP,... 5 minutes ago
- › What are you reading? 5 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge 4 September 2015: Air Your Linen! 5 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015