or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4772

post #71566 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by what whale View Post

I realize I'm in an Alden thread but wondering what your expert opinion on the two boots I'm considering next are: Natural Chromexcel Indys vs Oak Street's Natural Chromexcel trench boots?

I work in a professional environment but typically only dress business casual (dark denim, wool, khakis; tucked in oxford shirts, sweaters, etc). I like that the Indy is lined but dig the trench boots sleek lines. Also not sure I'm a fan of speed hooks. Any recs/thoughts are greatly appreciated smile.gif

Thanks,
ww

I have dabbled in Oak Street shoes and boots. They are good, although I am not a fan of the Trench boot. However, Indy boots are far more sharp and more passable in the business environment.

Perhaps try on the Indys first and ensure that you are comfortable with their feel and weight, as they are a hearty boot. With that said, they will last forever.

If I may make a suggestion, if they are your first pair of Indys, you may want to go for the standard dark brown CXL, as they don't have the lighter edging of the natural CXLs. They go with more (natty doesn't work with everything). Also, the dark brown CXLs are more versatile and professional.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #71567 of 87663
so whats the method to keep alden boot tongues from slipping?
post #71568 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

so whats the method to keep alden boot tongues from slipping?

 

If you lace them securely from the start, you have a chance of having them form to your foot in a manner that doesn't shift. Once they start to slide to the side, it's probably creasing that's not (easily) reversible. At that point, you could have a cobbler stitch one side of the tongue to the upper. It's pretty simple for them to match it up to a stitch line already present on the outside of the boot. 

 

Disclaimer: This is not science, but my interpretation.

post #71569 of 87663
Interesting/great points - thanks smile.gif
post #71570 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Pardon my French but, HOLY CRAP!
Watch your language, potty mouth!
post #71571 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

If black shell is your thing, I just kopped these tankers from Alden SF:




Unworn at the moment - I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping them but it seems pretty likely at this point.  And, I may have gotten their last pair.
I would keep the heck outta them.
post #71572 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

#4 boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

thank you bkotsko. direct sunlight no flash.



DAMN!! This is the one I like the best!
post #71573 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by what whale View Post

I realize I'm in an Alden thread but wondering what your expert opinion on the two boots I'm considering next are: Natural Chromexcel Indys vs Oak Street's Natural Chromexcel trench boots?

I work in a professional environment but typically only dress business casual (dark denim, wool, khakis; tucked in oxford shirts, sweaters, etc). I like that the Indy is lined but dig the trench boots sleek lines. Also not sure I'm a fan of speed hooks. Any recs/thoughts are greatly appreciated smile.gif

Thanks,
ww

I may be among the few, but I do not like the Elston last in the slightest. It's very squat around the ball of the foot and instep, and then the toebox overcompensates by becoming slim. Just a very confused last. 

 

I would consider a non-natural shoe, although it definitely works well in your environment. The Indy is a classic, and you can't go wrong. Moreover, as many QC issues as Alden has, OSB has more, in my experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Watch your language, potty mouth!

Yeah, don't fuckin swear in here. There's children around.

post #71574 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by what whale View Post

I realize I'm in an Alden thread but wondering what your expert opinion on the two boots I'm considering next are: Natural Chromexcel Indys vs Oak Street's Natural Chromexcel trench boots?

I work in a professional environment but typically only dress business casual (dark denim, wool, khakis; tucked in oxford shirts, sweaters, etc). I like that the Indy is lined but dig the trench boots sleek lines. Also not sure I'm a fan of speed hooks. Any recs/thoughts are greatly appreciated smile.gif

Thanks,
ww

I rock my trench boots to work as business casual but I'd have to concur with the rest that the Indys are more professional looking.
post #71575 of 87663

I think the trench boot and Indy boot are pushing the line as far as business casual goes, but if "dark denim" fits your office's version of business casual, then either boot should be more than fine (and also, I am very envious).  I am going to be ridiculous and suggest you try them both on and buy the pair you like more.  :p

post #71576 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

thank you bkotsko. direct sunlight no flash.

 

I can't even justify putting a spoiler on that. 

I love the color in the sunlight. 

Thanks again

post #71577 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

If black shell is your thing, I just kopped these tankers from Alden SF:




Unworn at the moment - I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping them but it seems pretty likely at this point.  And, I may have gotten their last pair.
I would keep the heck outta them.


Yup.  They're pretty much "crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women" boots, and I could really use a pair of those.

post #71578 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

I can't even justify putting a spoiler on that. 

I love the color in the sunlight. 

Thanks again

 

Truer words have not been said here. MrDV, your Color 4's are looking awesome.

 

-Mike

post #71579 of 87663

Does anyone do a plaza lasted shell indy, in some form of brown? (I know likely not now, but something they stock.) Leathersoul maybe? Also, if anyone has a picture of such an animal in the wild, I would love to see this. Never a huge indy fan, but they are growing on me, and I might get a pair one day. The Moc toe and the plaza last seem to be a nice combo in my eyes.

post #71580 of 87663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post
 

Does anyone do a plaza lasted shell indy, in some form of brown? (I know likely not now, but something they stock.) Leathersoul maybe? Also, if anyone has a picture of such an animal in the wild, I would love to see this. Never a huge indy fan, but they are growing on me, and I might get a pair one day. The Moc toe and the plaza last seem to be a nice combo in my eyes.

 

havent seen cigar

 

ravello tho

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***