or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4484

post #67246 of 91824
with the end of the year approaching, what is everyone's favorite makeup of the year? either something that you were able to get or wish you had. maybe something you don't see that often (#8 w/antique edging), a re-stock of particularly nice shade of "rare shell", or just something that works well for you that you didn't think it would. this is the year i gave up chasing "classic/ timeless" dress shoes and focussed more on shoes that fit into my style/wardrobe

I think my faves that i've been able to acquire, which won't be forum favs because "not shell":
- unlined cxl ptb (dover pattern).
- 6-eyelet chukka brown suede, plaza last. really disappointed sizing didn't work out for me.
- snuff roy boot.

fav i haven't gotten:
frans boone plaza indy.

makeup i want in dream land 2014:
whiskey indy boot, trubalance last, size 8.5D

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #67247 of 91824

   Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post
 

 

... and that answers my question about whether or not Obenauf's will alter the color of the stitching.

 

Didn't make a noticeable difference on mine. If you're concerned, I would be sure to clean the threads prior to applying obenauf's. It seems to me that it'll lock in whatever dirt is already on them.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


Excellent action shot szerwo. Which Indys are you sporting, tanned calf or cxl?

 

   CXL indys. Like butter.

post #67248 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

with the end of the year approaching, what is everyone's favorite makeup of the year? either something that you were able to get or wish you had. maybe something you don't see that often (#8 w/antique edging), a re-stock of particularly nice shade of "rare shell", or just something that works well for you that you didn't think it would. this is the year i gave up chasing "classic/ timeless" dress shoes and focussed more on shoes that fit into my style/wardrobe

I think my faves that i've been able to acquire, which won't be forum favs because "not shell":
- unlined cxl ptb (dover pattern).
- 6-eyelet chukka brown suede, plaza last. really disappointed sizing didn't work out for me.
- snuff roy boot.

fav i haven't gotten:
frans boone plaza indy.

makeup i want in dream land 2014:
whiskey indy boot, trubalance last, size 8.5D

This has been a very Alden-y year for me. I have acquired the rare rainbow in LWBs and LHSes. Been exciting.

I really really love the Plaza Indy in Ravello from Fran's and the Whiskey Short Wing Balmoral. I am working to get them both next year. :-)

-Mike
post #67249 of 91824
Anyone have any opinions about the color 8 chukka on flex welt versus commando versus standard oak sole? Contemplating getting the commando for light rain wear...
post #67250 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiu View Post
 

No.8 Parajumpers from Fransboone today (Grant)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

 

I do have to consider what I'd do if I had the opportunity to get the naval boot instead though.  I think, for me, I prefer the 270 welt, but it's a tough choice.

 

Could someone run down the differences between the J.Crew perforated cap toe boot, the naval boot, and now this plain cap toe parajumper? It looks like only the J.Crew boot has speed hooks, only the parajumper isn't perforated, and perhaps the parajumper is on a different last? Which of these is 270 degree welted, and does anyone have good comparison pictures? Searching the thread is yielding surprisingly few results.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post
 

These may even arrive before Black Friday, when perhaps another J. Crew coupon will drop and work on Aldens!

 

I'm not sure if it was always there, but I clearly see "EXCLUDED FROM PROMO" and "This item is excluded from all promotional discounts" when I add these to my cart. Has this always been marked so clearly? It's possible they noticed all the accidental coupon codes that were getting through and they implemented a more foolproof feature that will never allow coupon codes to work on these items, rather than needing to remember to mark each coupon code as not working on certain categories. I sure hope that's not the case.

post #67251 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Speaking of Horween stamps...have you noticed how the Ashland Leather shell wallets always seem to have the Horween stamp in the sweet spot?  IMHO it's because the guys running Ashland Leather work at Horween during the day and just might get the opportunity to add a few extra stamps in the the right place!  Besides the fact Ashland Leather makes awesome wallets, the added touch of a big fat Horween stamp in the sweet spot really enhances the product!

See Ya,
Steve

Ashland products rock!
post #67252 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerwo View Post

   Quote:

   CXL indys. Like butter.
Yeah, like butter. The Feibings neatsfoot oil I use on my cxl Indy's darkened the leather rather nicely, but not the stitching because the oil is essentially clear.
post #67253 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post


I'm not sure if it was always there, but I clearly see "EXCLUDED FROM PROMO" and "This item is excluded from all promotional discounts" when I add these to my cart. Has this always been marked so clearly? It's possible they noticed all the accidental coupon codes that were getting through and they implemented a more foolproof feature that will never allow coupon codes to work on these items, rather than needing to remember to mark each coupon code as not working on certain categories. I sure hope that's not the case.

I noticed this recently too, not just on Alden shoes but on other items (suits, Barbour, etc). It was not there before. They probably added some code to their website that allows items to easily be marked as ineligible for discounts.
post #67254 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

I managed to pluck these Cigar LHS off of eBay for a tidy sum of $203. I'm PUMPED!

I sniped them during the Lightning vs Rangers game I was at tonight. GO BOLTS!

 

Nice!  I agonized over going to $250 on those, but I've spent my allowance for the month already.  I'm glad they went to another SF member, though.  You'll have to post a report when you wear them.

post #67255 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

Could someone run down the differences between the J.Crew perforated cap toe boot, the naval boot, and now this plain cap toe parajumper? It looks like only the J.Crew boot has speed hooks, only the parajumper isn't perforated, and perhaps the parajumper is on a different last? Which of these is 270 degree welted, and does anyone have good comparison pictures? Searching the thread is yielding surprisingly few results.

There are a ton of cordovan captoe boot models. I recommend collecting them in a variety of colors / soles. Don't forget black.

J Crew - color 8 (dark edge), Barrie last, perforated captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks,
Leffot Naval - color 8 (antique edge) / black, Barrie last, perforated captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, all eyelets
Leather Soul - color 8 (dark edge) / cigar (antique edge), Trubalance last, perforated captoe, double waterlock sole, flat welt, all eyelets
Alden NYC / The Shoe Mart / Citishoes - color 8 (dark edge) / black, Grant last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, all eyelets
Alden DC - color 8 (dark edge) / black / cigar (antique edge), Grant last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Alden SF - color 8 (dark edge) / black, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks
J Gilbert - color 8 (dark edge), Plaza last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Alden of Carmel - black, Barrie last, straight tip cptoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Frans Boone Parajumpter - color 8 (dark edge), Grant last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks, brass hardware
Tassels Hunting Boot - color 8 (dark edge) / black / ravello, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Leffot Day Tripper - ravello, Grant last, straight tip captoe, double waterlock sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Unionmade Goods Kirkwood - color 8 (dark edge), black, ravello, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Edited by Alcibiades - 11/26/13 at 5:44am
post #67256 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPryon View Post

Nice!  I agonized over going to $250 on those, but I've spent my allowance for the month already.  I'm glad they went to another SF member, though.  You'll have to post a report when you wear them.

Thank you for not doing that. I'm happy to buy them. The LHS fits me perfect. I wonder if the fella who sold them is an SFer.

This makes up for the Alden H404 I sold for $15 on eBay Sunday angry.gif
Edited by tampatravel - 11/26/13 at 5:05am
post #67257 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There are a ton of cordovan captoe boot models. I recommend collecting them in a variety of colors / soles. Don't forget black.

J Crew - color 8 (dark edge), Barrie last, perforated captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks,
Leffot Naval - color 8 (antique edge) / black, Barrie last, perforated captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, all eyelets
Leather Soul - color 8 (dark edge) / cigar (antique edge), Trubalance last, perforated captoe, double waterlock sole, flat welt, all eyelets
Alden NYC / The Shoe Mart / Citishoes - color 8 (dark edge) / black, Grant last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, all eyelets
Alden DC - color 8 (dark edge) / black / cigar (antique edge), Grant last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Alden SF - color 8 (dark edge) / black, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks
J Gilbert - color 8 (dark edge), Plaza last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Alden of Carmel - black, Barrie last, straight tip cptoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Frans Boone Parajumpter - color 8 (dark edge), Grant last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks, brass hardware
Tassels Hunting Boot - color 8 (dark edge) / black / ravello, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, double leather sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Leffot Day Tripper - ravello, Grant last, straight tip captoe, double waterlock sole, flat welt, speedhooks
Unionmade Goods - color 8 (dark edge), black, ravello, Barrie last, straight tip captoe, commando sole, flat welt, speedhooks

Thanks for this Alcibiades. Just for completeness, Unionmade calls theirs the "Kirkwood."
post #67258 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Longwing Party

Decided to pull out all of my Longwings for a family photo. I have all of the rare longwings covered. Now I guess I should start thinking of the standard (Color 8 and Black)... :-)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






I find it interesting, the color on the vamp of my Cigars and my Alden DC LWBs are essentially the same in this lighting. The Ravello has just a pidge more red in it in real life. The AoC LWBs are definitely more red. At this point, I really do not have a favorite, I love them all in their own special ways.

The only shoe that I have more colors in, is the LHS... :-)

-Mike

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing the rainbow.
post #67259 of 91824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoiboy View Post





Ashland products rock!

 



Hanoiboy - That is the Fat Herbie, correct? What do you think of the size? Can it go in your front pocket?
post #67260 of 91824
Just got charged for the #8 JCrew captoes that said back ordered through Feb 10. Sweet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***