or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4457

post #66841 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I just did.... Ugh!

 

It is the KING.

Freaking comfortable, the leather enclosing your feet just like a glove, the shoes really "go with" your feet. 

You wouldn't regret getting them, trust me on this.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #66842 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandchau View Post


Dude, I bought the first 8D around lunch time. I missed out on the LWBs and didn't even think twice when these showed up on their website. Competition for 8Ds is fierce! LOL

I figured there's no time like the present to buy, so I pulled the trigger.  It was almost an impulse buy for me, but like others have said...once I saw the Leffot Instagram feed I was sold.  Should be my go-to shoe for many occasions.  

post #66843 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandchau View Post

Dude, I bought the first 8D around lunch time. I missed out on the LWBs and didn't even think twice when these showed up on their website. Competition for 8Ds is fierce! LOL

Haha. Congrats Alex!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpm View Post

It is the KING.
Freaking comfortable, the leather enclosing your feet just like a glove, the shoes really "go with" your feet. 
You wouldn't regret getting them, trust me on this.

I'll never know.... LOL
post #66844 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Do you risk splash mountain wearing those babies? wink.gif
Don't have to. My daughter doesn't like splash mnt. yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

id like a wheelchair in disneyland. with a ravello shell seat
Yes, make it a motorized one. With brass eyelets.
post #66845 of 89605
Damn, those #8 dovers are sweet. They sold out in my size in no time!

Great lookin pix today gents!

NST today for me
post #66846 of 89605
Does anyone have a tip on where I might be able to find dark brown CXL chukkas on commando? I've searched online but haven't seen anything. Thanks in advance.
post #66847 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Does anyone have a tip on where I might be able to find dark brown CXL chukkas on commando? I've searched online but haven't seen anything. Thanks in advance.

 

that's a unique one.. other than pelle line, I can't recall seeing a brown chukka. even then, the brown chukka at pelle line doesn't even state that it is CXL. moreso, their photo doesn't reflect it being commando

 

sorry, no help :)

post #66848 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

cheers.gif  I've been reading the EG appreciation thread over the last month, trying to learn what I can about lasts and colors. I have a feeling that once you pop, you can't stop. That said, I have a question for those that own both Alden and EG: do the EGs fill a different niche than your Aldens do? The reason for my hesitation to go all EG-wild is that I'm not sure if some of their lasts and shapes are a bit daintier than the Aldens, which are at the neat nexus of being dressy enough and elegant enough without being too delicate, foppish, dandyish or try-too-hard-ish. Can someone help me arrive at a more subtle understanding, if only to help me not delve into the realm of $1k+ shoes that aren't even shell...Thanks!

Primum non nocere... but I think this might hurt a little. smile.gif

Here are comparison pics between my cigar LWB and EG Westminster on their 888 (I think this was the style you're interested in). Personally I don't think that my EG shoes are too "fragile" but they are definitely different.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
post #66849 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Does anyone have a tip on where I might be able to find dark brown CXL chukkas on commando? I've searched online but haven't seen anything. Thanks in advance.

Check shoe mart. I got a brown CXL chukka there previously. I think it was a waterloc but you could just beat the hell out of it and then send to to B Nelson once you need a new sole
post #66850 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

I'm speaking strictly traditionally.  I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, as there are countless combinations that these boutique shoe shops have now had made up given the popularity of menswear in recent years.

 

However, traditionally speaking, an oil soaked sole is going to fall into a more casual category than a traditional oak tanned sole simply because of it's appearance.  You are right that if the edge trim is black, then most people will never notice.  However, there are still those who cross their legs and show their soles, even though it isn't "couth".  It isn't a deal breaker on any shoe, and I didn't mean it that way.  Rather, if I had three pairs of black captoes lined up, which were all the same, with the exception of the sole, and one had an oak tanned sole with black edge trim and black finishing on the bottom (where it doesn't touch the ground), one had traditional oak tanned soles, and one had the rich brown oil soaked soles, I would rank their formality in the order I listed them.

 

I was answering the OP's question on why Alden doesn't use oiled leather soles on all their shoes.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them on most shoes, assuming you like them.T

 

Thank you to all that provided insight, my questions have been answered. Now if I can just find the perfect combination of LWB with an antique edge and double waterlock sole I can put this current fixation to rest.

post #66851 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

I'm speaking strictly traditionally.  I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, as there are countless combinations that these boutique shoe shops have now had made up given the popularity of menswear in recent years.

 

However, traditionally speaking, an oil soaked sole is going to fall into a more casual category than a traditional oak tanned sole simply because of it's appearance.  You are right that if the edge trim is black, then most people will never notice.  However, there are still those who cross their legs and show their soles, even though it isn't "couth".  It isn't a deal breaker on any shoe, and I didn't mean it that way.  Rather, if I had three pairs of black captoes lined up, which were all the same, with the exception of the sole, and one had an oak tanned sole with black edge trim and black finishing on the bottom (where it doesn't touch the ground), one had traditional oak tanned soles, and one had the rich brown oil soaked soles, I would rank their formality in the order I listed them.

 

I was answering the OP's question on why Alden doesn't use oiled leather soles on all their shoes.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them on most shoes, assuming you like them.


Sounds perfectly reasonable.  Thanks...

post #66852 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl70115 View Post

Thank you to all that provided insight, my questions have been answered. Now if I can just find the perfect combination of LWB with an antique edge and double waterlock sole I can put this current fixation to rest.

I didn't see the original post, but Leffot has a few sizes left of their latest run of exactly what you described in Color 8
post #66853 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

that's a unique one.. other than pelle line, I can't recall seeing a brown chukka. even then, the brown chukka at pelle line doesn't even state that it is CXL. moreso, their photo doesn't reflect it being commando

sorry, no help smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Check shoe mart. I got a brown CXL chukka there previously. I think it was a waterloc but you could just beat the hell out of it and then send to to B Nelson once you need a new sole

Thanks. I'll check with the Shoemart tomorrow. Unionmade makes something close but it's scotch grain which I've never been particularly interested in. Would love to find one to use over the winter.
post #66854 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

 

Pretty wild that you were able to cite that obscure example off the top of your head.

I thought long and hard about pulling the trigger on those shoes.  Like I said earlier, i prefer the traditional double oak tanned leather soles (JR), so I didn't order them.

post #66855 of 89605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

nephew,
good looking suede gunboats
nice combo

Thank you Uncle!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***