or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4457

post #66841 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

@ j170115 - I actually much prefer the JR, double oak soles to the double waterlock soles.  I love the heavier, more stable feeling of the double leather oak tanned soles

 

@ MWS - Not sure why they would be a more casual sole as you can't really see the soles like you could with commandos.  Also, the traditional double leather soles eventually turn pretty dark underneath.  LS has made the "attorney shoe," a captoe bal with single water lock soles.  They seem to be pretty dressy.  I might be misunderstanding your point though.  Hope all has been going well for you my friend...  RTP

 

I'm speaking strictly traditionally.  I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, as there are countless combinations that these boutique shoe shops have now had made up given the popularity of menswear in recent years.

 

However, traditionally speaking, an oil soaked sole is going to fall into a more casual category than a traditional oak tanned sole simply because of it's appearance.  You are right that if the edge trim is black, then most people will never notice.  However, there are still those who cross their legs and show their soles, even though it isn't "couth".  It isn't a deal breaker on any shoe, and I didn't mean it that way.  Rather, if I had three pairs of black captoes lined up, which were all the same, with the exception of the sole, and one had an oak tanned sole with black edge trim and black finishing on the bottom (where it doesn't touch the ground), one had traditional oak tanned soles, and one had the rich brown oil soaked soles, I would rank their formality in the order I listed them.

 

I was answering the OP's question on why Alden doesn't use oiled leather soles on all their shoes.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them on most shoes, assuming you like them.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #66842 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestyle View Post

First pair of Aldens. and maiden voyage...... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

A great pair of boots, especially for your first Aldens. Are they from TSM? Wear them in the best of health.
post #66843 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestyle View Post

First pair of Aldens. and maiden voyage......



<br />

 



sexxxy
post #66844 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


A great pair of boots, especially for your first Aldens. Are they from TSM? Wear them in the best of health.

Thank you kindly. Yes, from TSM. 

post #66845 of 87683
Very nice. You could take that boot to war, come home, wipe it down and be ready for dinner with the lady.
post #66846 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
LS has made the "attorney shoe," a captoe bal with single water lock soles.  

 

Pretty wild that you were able to cite that obscure example off the top of your head.

post #66847 of 87683

Whiskey PTB, Walnut SW -Epaulet, #4 chukka

All recent, all the lightest colored shoes I have 

I no longer mind brown shoes

 

 

 

Red Sox World Series Champions - breaking-in the celebration score

 

 

Whiskey Wednesdays are a go.

 

post #66848 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Looks great NAMOR. 
It is interesting how different the reverse is from the non reverse... 




i wonder what the difference is. is it simply the other side of the leather?
post #66849 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

cheers.gif  I've been reading the EG appreciation thread over the last month, trying to learn what I can about lasts and colors. I have a feeling that once you pop, you can't stop. That said, I have a question for those that own both Alden and EG: do the EGs fill a different niche than your Aldens do? The reason for my hesitation to go all EG-wild is that I'm not sure if some of their lasts and shapes are a bit daintier than the Aldens, which are at the neat nexus of being dressy enough and elegant enough without being too delicate, foppish, dandyish or try-too-hard-ish. Can someone help me arrive at a more subtle understanding, if only to help me not delve into the realm of $1k+ shoes that aren't even shell...Thanks!

I have many pairs of both Aldens and EGs. Personally, I only wear my Aldens casually because I find them too clunky to wear with suits. I'm far from fashion forward, dress very conservatively, and have never felt the least bit delicate/dainty wearing EGs. I'd recommend buying a pair on the 202 last if you're worried. I like to think of the 202 as EGs version of the Barrie (although way more refined/elegant). One thing to consider, there's a lot of "play" in the way Aldens fit. Any EGs you buy should and will fit more snug than any Aldens you own.

And yes, once you get a proper fitting pair on your feet, you'll want more than one.
post #66850 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistant View Post

Whiskey PTB, Walnut SW -Epaulet, #4 chukka
All recent, all the lightest colored shoes I have 
I no longer mind brown shoes


Great looking shoes and boots. I'm curious about your boots.
Where are the #4 chukkas from? How old are they? Can you post a couple more pictures?
post #66851 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

ravello nst boot
argyles otc
14nk6e8.jpg
Simply amazing.
post #66852 of 87683
Non shell aldens do not get as much appreciation as shell models. However, crepe sole gets far less love than almost anything else. A long day at Disneyland calls for my most comfortable aldens.
Aoc ravello lwb
post #66853 of 87683
Do you risk splash mountain wearing those babies? wink.gif
post #66854 of 87683
id like a wheelchair in disneyland. with a ravello shell seat
post #66855 of 87683
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

New offering from Leffot:


Alden x Leffot Dover





color 8 shell cordovan

Barrie Last, Unlined Color 8 Shell Cordovan, Flex Soles



_mg_0930_1.jpg

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/alden/29386f.html

It’s no secret that we love shell cordovan, and since the Dover is one of our favorite shoes, we decided to combine the two to create these unlined color 8 bluchers. They’re on the comfortable flex soles, which give them the added versatility of being slightly dressier than shoes with rubber soles. If you’re a fan of Alden’s classic PT blucher, these Dovers are the logical next step.
Damn you, Tampaaaaaaaa!!!! I need these!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***