or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4454

post #66796 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

Hi Guys,

Quick sizing question.

I wear 10d in Barrie and 10.5 in the BB wingtip(Plaza or M58), the 10d in the Barrie fits me well but doesn't feel huge like some people say, so basically I'm on the wide side of "D" width.

I've never tried an Abeerdeen shoe and I'm looking at a pair of Tassel loafers, should I go TTS 10.5d or 10E?

Thanks.

Why not 9D (see my sig)

 

In all seriousness though, I would guess 10E.  The Aberdeen is narrow in the toe box, if that gives you any better of an idea.

post #66797 of 98734

I go up .5 for Aberdeen with good result.

post #66798 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by takashi78 View Post
 

Man i am starting to think this is a Alden shell cordovan thread LOL.

 

And we should have another for calf and others.....

 

Does no one on this forum have other than shell shoes from Alden as we see so few of them.


Many here are big fans of Alden suede and Chrmxl, but not a whole lot of love for calf.

post #66799 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Today with color 8 SWB on commando (barrie)...

...and no, I am not a Buckeye.  I do like their colors though.  biggrin.gif

nephew,
looking good

Thank you Uncle.

post #66800 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseG View Post

Gents,

quick update for anyone curious.   I just got off the phone with epaulet.  Their natural CXL longwings, right now, are indeed on the Barrie last.  They made a change with their most recent order- previous versions were on the Leydon last though.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware they switched from Leydon to Barrie for this model. Good news for you! That's too bad for me tho, I really like the Leydon and was hoping to order these at some point when they restocked. If it's on Barrie now, I can only wear it if it's a narrow width, which Epaulet doesn't carry.
post #66801 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post
 

:cheers: I've been reading the EG appreciation thread over the last month, trying to learn what I can about lasts and colors. I have a feeling that once you pop, you can't stop. That said, I have a question for those that own both Alden and EG: do the EGs fill a different niche than your Aldens do? The reason for my hesitation to go all EG-wild is that I'm not sure if some of their lasts and shapes are a bit daintier than the Aldens, which are at the neat nexus of being dressy enough and elegant enough without being too delicate, foppish, dandyish or try-too-hard-ish. Can someone help me arrive at a more subtle understanding, if only to help me not delve into the realm of $1k+ shoes that aren't even shell...Thanks!

Doc,

 

Have confidence in your own fashion instinct and do what feels right to you.  You don't need the approval of a bunch of internet strangers.  Fashion should be about self-expression.  Disregard the prevailing trends and what designers are currently hot and wear what appeals to you.

 

If you think you want a pair of EGs, get nasty!

 

If you think that they are too elegant for your style, don't buy them.

post #66802 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Doc,

Have confidence in your own fashion instinct and do what feels right to you.  You don't need the approval of a bunch of internet strangers.  Fashion should be about self-expression.  Disregard the prevailing trends and what designers are currently hot and wear what appeals to you.

If you think you want a pair of EGs, get nasty!

If you think that they are too elegant for your style, don't buy them.
+1,000. At a certain price point, you are all on your own in terms of deciding whether the money spent equates to the satisfaction you will derive.
post #66803 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl70115 View Post
 

Sole question - I'm trying to get a handle on the different soles, and from what I can reasonably gather from browsing this lengthy thread for a few months now, the Double Waterlock is initially more comfortable/easier to break in, lighter and possibly better wearing than a traditional double leather sole due better handling of wet weather. Any comments and experience on these assertions? If all or even most of that is true, why doesn't Alden use Double Waterlock soles on everything? Also, is the Flex Welt the same as a single Waterlock sole? Every picture I see of a Waterlock sole looks like a Flex Welt sole, i.e. the darker coloring.

 

Many thanks.

 

In addition to what the others said, the reason they don't just use oil soaked soles on everything is because they are inherently more casual than traditional oak tanned soles.  They naturally lend themselves to more casual looks with the rich brown color, which wouldn't be as appropriate for some dressier footwear.  Yes, the Flex Welt is a single Waterloc sole.

@ j170115 - I actually much prefer the JR, double oak soles to the double waterlock soles.  I love the heavier, more stable feeling of the double leather oak tanned soles

 

@ MWS - Not sure why they would be a more casual sole as you can't really see the soles like you could with commandos.  Also, the traditional double leather soles eventually turn pretty dark underneath.  LS has made the "attorney shoe," a captoe bal with single water lock soles.  They seem to be pretty dressy.  I might be misunderstanding your point though.  Hope all has been going well for you my friend...  RTP

post #66804 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

cheers.gif  I've been reading the EG appreciation thread over the last month, trying to learn what I can about lasts and colors. I have a feeling that once you pop, you can't stop. That said, I have a question for those that own both Alden and EG: do the EGs fill a different niche than your Aldens do? The reason for my hesitation to go all EG-wild is that I'm not sure if some of their lasts and shapes are a bit daintier than the Aldens, which are at the neat nexus of being dressy enough and elegant enough without being too delicate, foppish, dandyish or try-too-hard-ish. Can someone help me arrive at a more subtle understanding, if only to help me not delve into the realm of $1k+ shoes that aren't even shell...Thanks!

Yes.

EG has many great lasts. Go with the ones you find most pleasing to your eye, not someone else's eye. Good luck.
post #66805 of 98734

First pair of Aldens. and maiden voyage......

post #66806 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

@ j170115 - I actually much prefer the JR, double oak soles to the double waterlock soles.  I love the heavier, more stable feeling of the double leather oak tanned soles

 

@ MWS - Not sure why they would be a more casual sole as you can't really see the soles like you could with commandos.  Also, the traditional double leather soles eventually turn pretty dark underneath.  LS has made the "attorney shoe," a captoe bal with single water lock soles.  They seem to be pretty dressy.  I might be misunderstanding your point though.  Hope all has been going well for you my friend...  RTP

 

I'm speaking strictly traditionally.  I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, as there are countless combinations that these boutique shoe shops have now had made up given the popularity of menswear in recent years.

 

However, traditionally speaking, an oil soaked sole is going to fall into a more casual category than a traditional oak tanned sole simply because of it's appearance.  You are right that if the edge trim is black, then most people will never notice.  However, there are still those who cross their legs and show their soles, even though it isn't "couth".  It isn't a deal breaker on any shoe, and I didn't mean it that way.  Rather, if I had three pairs of black captoes lined up, which were all the same, with the exception of the sole, and one had an oak tanned sole with black edge trim and black finishing on the bottom (where it doesn't touch the ground), one had traditional oak tanned soles, and one had the rich brown oil soaked soles, I would rank their formality in the order I listed them.

 

I was answering the OP's question on why Alden doesn't use oiled leather soles on all their shoes.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to have them on most shoes, assuming you like them.

post #66807 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestyle View Post

First pair of Aldens. and maiden voyage...... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

A great pair of boots, especially for your first Aldens. Are they from TSM? Wear them in the best of health.
post #66808 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestyle View Post

First pair of Aldens. and maiden voyage......



<br />

 



sexxxy
post #66809 of 98734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


A great pair of boots, especially for your first Aldens. Are they from TSM? Wear them in the best of health.

Thank you kindly. Yes, from TSM. 

post #66810 of 98734
Very nice. You could take that boot to war, come home, wipe it down and be ready for dinner with the lady.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***