or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4436

post #66526 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

^ Pretty outrageous that only a few days from the ship date, they tell you it will be another three month wait. I know there's only so much that can be done, but that seems like bad/sloppy customer service to me, no matter what the reason is. Surely they can let you know about the delay before that.

 

would have to assume that J.Crew is just working off an anticipated date that is given by Alden. Otherwise, they'd have to state 'delivery unknown" as we all know how Alden is with delivery dates

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #66527 of 79341

Man, after a lot of hunting, I found myself a pair of ravello LWB! I think I'll be keeping the Whiskey NSTs and going with these two pairs, but thanks for everyone's opinions. Now that I've gotten this far, what kind of things do I need to keep them looking amazing? I know shoe trees are obvious, but I'm a total newbie with the details from there. Paste wax? (Colors?) Saphir? How many brushes?

 

Also, for anybody in the market, as of about a week ago Alden NYC still had a pair of Ravello PTBs left in 11D. If that's your size, good luck!

 

I think that's all I'm going to get for now, unless there's somebody carrying cap toe Cigar boots on commando... :rotflmao: 

post #66528 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post


+1. I thought it was "odd" at first but it has become an endearing idiosyncrasy of this board and helps keep things interesting. Nobody who follows a shoe thread closely should get TOO worked up about quirkiness.

Indeed. I'm thankful for this thread because I can feel like I'm not the only person in the world with an out-of-control shoe fetish. Let's get back to talking about Aldens.

 

My contribution: Another installment of my non-shell boot binge. Yenni sent my burnished tan wt boots on Barrie with commando extra fast so they'd get here by Friday in time for my birthday this weekend. Another poor man's whiskey, but they're plenty comfy, go great with selvedge and ladies love 'em (including dear wife :)

 

 

 

this also reminds me: someone had inquired about the NS Church Hill Indys. Same color as above or pretty close. Yes, I justified it to myself by saying that they're on different lasts and can be worn different ways. No one but you guys might agree with me :)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Okay, "yell" was hyperbole of course. But gently scolded for criticizing something sacred. There are a lot of people who stay out of this thread completely, or stay quiet, (that would be me) because of how uncomfortable it makes them.

It also makes this thread very difficult to read, because almost all real discussion/questions get buried within minutes by the onslaught of "nice shoes nephew" "thank you uncle" posts. I mean, to each his own. I'm just the voice saying that not everyone on SF who loves Aldens thinks it's a quaint/cute thing, and that it actively hurts the ability for people to discuss Aldens in a meaningful way.

I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings. I am sorry to hear you find yourself uncomfortable here. Although there are quite a few "superfluous" posts of gratitude and compliments, I don't mind it so much. I feel like Mac has an extensive catalog and consistently posts great combos with his OTCs. We learn a lot from each other and enable our addictions through our posts. Accordingly, I don't mind just pressing the spacebar or scrolling through the thank you posts.

 

I really hope you can find a way to push past any discomfort or creeped out feelings you're grappling with here. I think just about everyone who posts here makes important contributions or allows us to air questions we ourselves have been sitting on. Not trying to be jerky; rather, trying to be welcoming...

 

I myself have been meaning to ask (as I contemplate pulling the trigger on yet another boot by weighing JCrew's natty cxl perf toe vs Leffot's) about how and whether veteran members evaluate welt construction when they are selecting boots and shoes. Does the close heel represent a deal breaker for you? Are guys hating the 270 degree welt? Or does it depend?

post #66529 of 79341

For what it's worth on the J.Crew orders (If simply to set hope :)), I ordered a pair of the Tobacco LWB with a ship date of 10/30 and then also received a delay until the end of Jan '14 … and then they arrived last week.

 

Mike

post #66530 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post


I myself have been meaning to ask (as I contemplate pulling the trigger on yet another boot by weighing JCrew's natty cxl perf toe vs Leffot's) about how and whether veteran members evaluate welt construction when they are selecting boots and shoes. Does the close heel represent a deal breaker for you? Are guys hating the 270 degree welt? Or does it depend?

I'm hardly a veteran but I really like the 270 welt, especially on boots.
post #66531 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Okay, "yell" was hyperbole of course. But gently scolded for criticizing something sacred. There are a lot of people who stay out of this thread completely, or stay quiet, (that would be me) because of how uncomfortable it makes them.

It also makes this thread very difficult to read, because almost all real discussion/questions get buried within minutes by the onslaught of "nice shoes nephew" "thank you uncle" posts. I mean, to each his own. I'm just the voice saying that not everyone on SF who loves Aldens thinks it's a quaint/cute thing, and that it actively hurts the ability for people to discuss Aldens in a meaningful way.

Dude, how hard is it to scroll to the next post?  There is plenty of meaningful and very informative exchange here. I for one am immensely grateful for all of the help provided by so many friendly, patient, and supportive people.

post #66532 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

would have to assume that J.Crew is just working off an anticipated date that is given by Alden. Otherwise, they'd have to state 'delivery unknown" as we all know how Alden is with delivery dates
. I agree, I just sympathize with those experiencing this - while selfishly hoping my #8 captoes originally scheduled for Feb do not get pushed to May.
post #66533 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post


I'm hardly a veteran but I really like the 270 welt, especially on boots.

+1, 360 can make a boot look big and bulky.  The 270 welt with closed heel makes the barrie lasted boot look much sleeker.

post #66534 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Dude, how hard is it to scroll to the next post?  There is plenty of meaningful and very informative exchange here. I for one am immensely grateful for all of the help provided by so many friendly, patient, and supportive people.

 

agreed

post #66535 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

2961a3q.jpg
cigar lhs
argyles otc
I really like these uncle Mac. I want a pair.
post #66536 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

+1, 360 can make a boot look big and bulky.  The 270 welt with closed heel makes the barrie lasted boot look much sleeker.

For me personally, it depends on the last. I now will only buy Barrie or Trubalance lasted boots with a close heel. On other lasts, I think the 360-welt looks good. My Barrie lasted boots with the 360-welt make the heels of my boots feel ginormously wide. Live and learn. So I went with Leffot's NatCXL PCT boots precisely because of the close heel.
post #66537 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbombers85 View Post


Yep. Just got the email today. Original ship date was 11/20/2013. Now it's 02/10/2014.

The indy boot used to be 10/31/2013 and is now 01/20/2014. I lucked out and was able to use a 25% off promo on this one.

Waiting game continues while my wallet doesn't mind it.

 

I should expect an e-mail soon, then. My original ship date was to be 12/8/2013. I, too, had used a code.

 

Darn, I wish I had known that earlier today. I might have been more aggressive on an Ebay auction for a pair of Marlow PTBs this AM. I was a little worried that both pairs would be arriving at about the same time.

post #66538 of 79341

Have you guys seen this make-up? I absolutely love this. The eyelets, the commando sole, the natCXL, the Barrie. But I already have a version from Epaulet.

 

post #66539 of 79341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbombers85 View Post


Yep. Just got the email today. Original ship date was 11/20/2013. Now it's 02/10/2014.

The indy boot used to be 10/31/2013 and is now 01/20/2014. I lucked out and was able to use a 25% off promo on this one.

Waiting game continues while my wallet doesn't mind it.

I had a pair of Indys on order that I got with the 25% off code. (still backordered)

I realized that they would be too redundant, so I called last week, and they let me cancel and use the 25% off the Natty CXLs. 

post #66540 of 79341

Anyone know how the Grant last compares to Loake's Capital last? I am a 10UK in the Capital, what size Grand should I be looking at?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***