or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4336

post #65026 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues4life View Post

Uncle
Where are those socks from please?

customshirt1.com run by our member alex kabbaz

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #65027 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues4life View Post

Forgive my newbie-ness. But I know the gentleman you are , socks please?

thank you
merino wool argyles from alex kabbaz at customshirt1.com
post #65028 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Absolutely. I didn't post because this is an Alden thread, but since you requested.....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Side pic added to better show the shine

nephew,
good looking boot, wear in good health
post #65029 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Context black cordovan tankers
RRL wool cardigan
Gant white oxford
Black APC
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


nephew,
looking good
post #65030 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post


LHS on the streets of NYC[/SPOILER]
...along with the obligatory pics from the shop.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
[IMG][IMG][IMG]
Last one is a blue CXL LHS, which I loved, but they didn't have in my size.[/
quote]

nephew,
nice combo
post #65031 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

#8 Indys
Cheap denim
Cheap shirt
LOL Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


nephew,
nice shine on the indy
post #65032 of 87772
2eok876.jpg
dark brown suede ptb
argyles otc
2gv6cfl.jpg
post #65033 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasquirrel View Post

Those #8 Indys are looking great!

Your "cheap" comments reminded me of a conversation I had recently with a friend about matching the quality level of one's clothing (in a non-business, casual context). He was arguing that you should never wear "cheap" clothes (in this case it was some Dockers D1 chinos) with boots as nice as shell Indys. I thought it could work (and have done it!), but what do you think?

Is this the equivalent of putting the $2000 stereo in a $500 car? :-)
Eh. I don't agree. It all comes down to what you want to spend your money on. If you couldn't care less about what kind of car you drive, but you like nice stereo systems; then by all means buy a cheap car and put your choice of stereo in it. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. By wearing $40 jeans instead of $300 raw denim I am able to wear $700 boots which I care more about. I also drive a 10 year old Acura which also adds to me being able to spend money on things I really enjoy. Like fine quality shell cordovan footwear.
post #65034 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Eh. I don't agree. It all comes down to what you want to spend your money on. If you couldn't care less about what kind of car you drive, but you like nice stereo systems; then by all means buy a cheap car and put your choice of stereo in it. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. By wearing $40 jeans instead of $300 raw denim I am able to wear $700 boots which I care more about. I also drive a 10 year old Acura which also adds to me being able to spend money on things I really enjoy. Like fine quality shell cordovan footwear.

Well said, and I agree with you. Older Acuras rock (mine is 2006), and these Levi's I have on were about $50. But I'm sure enjoying some very comfortable chukkas! :-)
post #65035 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

A few words of caution on Saphir Cordovan Creme

-Some folks dislike the greasy finish it leaves behind

-It is not good for spot treating, it will change the appearance of the shoe a little, so use it on the whole shoe.  Use wax for spot treating.

-Apply and work it in to small sections at a time.  It dries fast, so if you try to apply it all over a pair of shoes, it will be too dry to go back and work it in where you started.

There is no one right/wrong answer to this question, or magic number of shoes that any individual should have.  Personally, I like to have a lower number of higher quality shoes than an abundance of affordable shoes.  I have 16 pairs of "nice" shoes.  Meaning shoes that I try to keep looking good.


The Saphir cordovan cream in neutral has a somewhat unpleasant smell, IMO. The Saphir colored cordovan creams, and reno, on the other hand, all smell great.

I have all the Saphir cordovan products (neutral, burgundy, black, brown) and reno. Unless my goal is the infusion of some color into the shoe/boot, I do not use the colored creams.
post #65036 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

2eok876.jpg
dark brown suede ptb
argyles otc
2gv6cfl.jpg

 

Uncle Mac with the rare non-shell selection!  This happens but once a year!

 

Looking good, Uncle.

post #65037 of 87772
Thanks Mick! Those CXL LHS in Navy have heavily been on my radar for the last few months. If they were blue shell...well...wow...and they wouldn't be Alden's smile.gif

The PTBs in Navy are also awesome but never in my size on TSMs list
post #65038 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


The Saphir cordovan cream in neutral has a somewhat unpleasant smell, IMO. The Saphir colored cordovan creams, and reno, on the other hand, all smell great.

I have all the Saphir cordovan products (neutral, burgundy, black, brown) and reno. Unless my goal is the infusion of some color into the shoe/boot, I do not use the colored creams.

Ditto!

post #65039 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbc0919 View Post


Nice Dalton's. I notice that yours have a row of stitching around the inside of the broguing as shown in the side view, that I have not seen on other Dalton's. Makes the look more similar to the Brixton. We're they some kind of special makeup?

 

That stitching is there only because the walnut shell Daltons are unlined and the stitching holds the inside band of shell taut on the inside of the boot.  You are correct that the stitching is not on other Daltons (at least as far as I know).

post #65040 of 87772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post


Absolutely. I didn't post because this is an Alden thread, but since you requested.....
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Side pic added to better show the shine

I have the same pair from the same batch from Pelle Line. Mine looked great out of the box. I haven't had to do anything other than brush yet. 

You did a wonderful job. They look fantastic. Enjoy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***