Looking great El. That is one super long tie!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4279
Styleforum Top Picks
I think the amount of bloom depends on the way the particular batch of shell was tanned - some of the older exotics are much oilier than others. I know from my own experience that some older Aldens bloom a lot (especially my 8 year old cigar LWB). They have a noticeable bloom after a week and a significant one after a month. But it is nothing that a couple of quick brushes can't fix.
great looking boots tifosi, but i would say that.
tifosi's boots twins - after three days indoors to break in.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
talking of "bloom", having just given my #8's their first brush the penny dropped about an aspect of the mac method that i have not seen explicitly stated.
i am sure it will have been and it is just that i missed it. Nevertheless i think it is worth stating.
Typically for me (luck wise) on the first day of wear the weather god's decided that there would be the lightest of showers (the worst kind of weather for shell perhaps?)
Getting home after a nice 3->4 mile round trip .... I was interested to discover that indeed some water spots/welts had appeared.
Now i am not going to baby these as my preference is for patina over pristine - so there was no panic - but i thought "let's give this mac method a go!"
Quick wipe down with a damp cloth and the vigorous brushing begins ....
- "oh the new shine has dulled quite a bit" ...... brush brush brush
- "well this seems to just be getting worse .....brush brush brush
- "how does mcarthur get that shine?" .....brush brush brush
Then it dawned on my that i had misunderstood.
It isn't the brushing that produces the shine, the brushing brings out the "fats" which then act like a cream when buffed with a dry cloth.
It isn't the brushing that produces the shine, it is the buffing with the cloth.
Disclaimer : I may be very wrong but that was the impression from my lifetime/day one experience of shell cordovan.
Couple of other points
- Commando soles / Indy Boots are incredibly comfortable.
- I love the look of a mint/unspoiled condition Alden, but there is something I love more about the look of shell Aldens that have only just been broken in and have yet to make their way outside. I think it is because they are brand new / mint condition - but they belong to someone. Or maybe it is just how I feel about mine!
Are the Ravello Chukkas from the recent 2nds/closeouts TSM deal?they look awesome.
Edited by epc2 - 10/27/13 at 5:15pm
[*] Commando soles / Indy Boots are incredibly comfortable.
[*] I love the look of a mint/unspoiled condition Alden, but there is something I love more about the look of shell Aldens that have only just been broken in and have yet to make their way outside. I think it is because they are brand new / mint condition - but they belong to someone. Or maybe it is just how I feel about mine!
- ***The official Alden thread ***
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 3 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 4 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 4 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 4 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 9 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 10 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 10 minutes ago
- › GAZIANO & GIRLING Westbury, Black, UK 9.5, Excellent Condition! 13 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 14 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015