or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 4238

post #63556 of 89435
I thought I was done with cordovan boots, but the Lindricks are calling my name. I feel like Pachino in Godfather 3.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #63557 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS View Post

Thanks. I thought that they might be Aldens because of the font. Anyone have experience iDing older Alden models?

Email the customer service link on their corporate website (or call them). The few times I've had to email them they've been very helpful and very fast. If anybody would know definitively if those were Aldens, they would.
post #63558 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

great looking ravello uncle.

nephew,
thank you
post #63559 of 89435

Hi Folks,

 

Any opinions on or in-the-wild pics related to the Leffot Greenwich boot in reverse tobacco chamois? I was thinking that it might make a nice beater boot for rainy days paired with denim. I'm also curious about fit. I know that some Barrie boots cause trouble for folks by feeling tighter than their Barrie shoe counterparts, but that this varies as a function of the type of material and perhaps anatomical variations.

 

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

post #63560 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post

RTP! That combo sizing always makes me think of the possibility of modifying the heel width in the Barrie - a "D width" shoe which is an A/D for example, instead of the standard B/D. But based on several inquiries, it Alden appears won't make an A/D, which makes me wonder why they bother specifiying the combo sizing in the first place.


I think they used to do custom orders like that at one time. Not so anymore though.

post #63561 of 89435

cigar cap toe
argyles otc
post #63562 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


I think they used to do custom orders like that at one time. Not so anymore though.

RTP, I asked a couple of their distributors and they said it wasn't possible. However, as an FYI, Rancourt said they WOULD make the heel area narrower and leave the rest of the shoe a regular D width - they just want confirmation on your foot size/width.
post #63563 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
cigar cap toe
argyles otc Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Uncle, I like your cigar cap toes and argyles.
post #63564 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Uncle, I like your cigar cap toes and argyles.

Agreed; very nice.

Similar here, just with shorter socks and taller shoes:
post #63565 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I thought I was done with cordovan boots, but the Lindricks are calling my name. I feel like Pachino in Godfather 3.

 



I have the Lindricks and they're great! I am tempted by the Gianni which is the moc toe boot. The chukkas are nice too, but my feet are weird and it probably won't fit right.
post #63566 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneseyyy View Post

Just picked up a new pair of brown cxl indys to keep my well-worn natural cxl plain toes (modified last) company.
y4uda4ar.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
qy4usura.jpg
bu9aquze.jpg


My blog: www.4funr.com

Nice pick up. Are the Indys a Modified last as well? I've seen them on the Moulded Shoe website and thought about giving them a try.
post #63567 of 89435
Tanker boots in color 8 turned out to be my favorite work boots, very happy with my new acquisition.

post #63568 of 89435
No, the Indys are on the true balance last; I wanted a little bit beefier fit/look with the Indys. That being said the modified last boots are probably the most comfortable shoes I own and I'd recommend them strongly.

Wearing the new Indys today and love them; looking forward to breaking them in!
post #63569 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I haven't used any yet.  If/when I do, I will likely use tan as that is what Alden recommends.  Also, I would prefer that my ravello LWB not get any darker, but that may not be avoidable.  The brown paste wax would probably work just as well, but may aid in giving it a darker looking patina.

In any case, when using the paste wax, you're applying such a thin layer  and then essentially removing most of it when buffing it out.  There is very little being built up, unlike polish for calf shoes.  For this reason, I prefer Alden's paste wax.  With Saphir's burgundy or dark brown Cordovan cream, a layer of crap builds up on the surface and gives it a matted, unattractive look (even with an extremely thin layer).  I wish I had never applied that stuff to my Cigar LWBs.  I still get stuff coming off of it when I brush and buff.  Seems like many here use the neutral Saphir cordovan cream.  Maybe it's better.

The Saphir color Cordovan cream is known to be loaded with pigments. That is useful in evening out the subtle color variations inherent in Shell Cordovan. But some may find the result not desirable.

You may use Saphir Renomat to remove the old wax/pigment residues. I have used Renomat on some Ravello's that were "mistreated" with dark wax pastes with good results.
post #63570 of 89435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I haven't used any yet.  If/when I do, I will likely use tan as that is what Alden recommends.  Also, I would prefer that my ravello LWB not get any darker, but that may not be avoidable.  The brown paste wax would probably work just as well, but may aid in giving it a darker looking patina.

In any case, when using the paste wax, you're applying such a thin layer  and then essentially removing most of it when buffing it out.  There is very little being built up, unlike polish for calf shoes.  For this reason, I prefer Alden's paste wax.  With Saphir's burgundy or dark brown Cordovan cream, a layer of crap builds up on the surface and gives it a matted, unattractive look (even with an extremely thin layer).  I wish I had never applied that stuff to my Cigar LWBs.  I still get stuff coming off of it when I brush and buff.  Seems like many here use the neutral Saphir cordovan cream.  Maybe it's better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc2000 View Post

The Saphir color Cordovan cream is known to be loaded with pigments. That is useful in evening out the subtle color variations inherent in Shell Cordovan. But some may find the result not desirable.

You may use Saphir Renomat to remove the old wax/pigment residues. I have used Renomat on some Ravello's that were "mistreated" with dark wax pastes with good results.

As someone who has tried many many things with varying degrees of success, I have found this exchange to be interesting and informative. Thanks to both of you for the info.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***