or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 411

post #6151 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou View Post
Just got these on Tuesday, haven't worn them yet. Scotch grain calfskin, can't wait to get these beat up a bit.

great choice! anyone have pics of some scotch grain already beat up?
post #6152 of 99314
I'm purchasing a couple pairs of shoes for a new job where the dress code is business casual. I'm tired of buying cheap shoes every year and figured I would get nicer shoes that will last/look better which brought me to this forum/post, plus I saw the Chocolate Suede Plaza Cap Toe Boots at LS that I thought were awesome so I figured I try Aldens but for now I just want some plain toe bluchers.

Are the calf ptbs at Brooks Brothers Aldens? I was looking at those because they are on sale or a pair of all weather walkers.

What last are the Brooks Brothers on? I was measured as a 10/10.5 and D width, I tried on the 10.5 and it seemed long and the 10 feels like it fits correctly but snug, do they stretch? All the other shoes I wear are way too large, I have size 11 eccos and chucks that I can pretty much walk out of. I had a size 10 pair of chucks that crushed my small toe so I would probably wear a 10.5 in those. I'm not sure if the 10 in these is too small or if it fits correctly and I'm just not used to how they are supposed to fit.

Are they too shiny or dressy to wear with khakis? Will they lose their shine? Should I be looking to get something without leather soles or not plain toe?

Sorry for the noob questions, I figured I did enough research but then I tried them on and confused myself Thanks!
post #6153 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelovesyou View Post
Just got these on Tuesday, haven't worn them yet. Scotch grain calfskin, can't wait to get these beat up a bit.
What color is that? (kinda hard to tell from the lighting).

I have a pair of those in brown (also in Scotch grain calfskin) coming in on Saturday...cannot wait to rock them.

I wanted a pair of the Chromexcel wing tip boots from LSBH, but my size is all gone.

I will wait to see what kind of Chromexcel Aldens I can get to substitute for them.
post #6154 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithback1 View Post
I'm purchasing a couple pairs of shoes for a new job where the dress code is business casual. I'm tired of buying cheap shoes every year and figured I would get nicer shoes that will last/look better which brought me to this forum/post, plus I saw the Chocolate Suede Plaza Cap Toe Boots at LS that I thought were awesome so I figured I try Aldens but for now I just want some plain toe bluchers.

Are the calf ptbs at Brooks Brothers Aldens? I was looking at those because they are on sale or a pair of all weather walkers.

What last are the Brooks Brothers on? I was measured as a 10/10.5 and D width, I tried on the 10.5 and it seemed long and the 10 feels like it fits correctly but snug, do they stretch? All the other shoes I wear are way too large, I have size 11 eccos and chucks that I can pretty much walk out of. I had a size 10 pair of chucks that crushed my small toe so I would probably wear a 10.5 in those. I'm not sure if the 10 in these is too small or if it fits correctly and I'm just not used to how they are supposed to fit.

Are they too shiny or dressy to wear with khakis? Will they lose their shine? Should I be looking to get something without leather soles or not plain toe?

Sorry for the noob questions, I figured I did enough research but then I tried them on and confused myself Thanks!

From a few days ago http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=6069
Quote:
The consensus was as follows:
BB Tassel loafer = Aberdeen
BB Penny unlined loafer = Van
BB Blucher = Barrie
BB Straight tip = Aberdeen
BB Perforated cap toe = Snap
BB Wingtip bal = Plaza

I seem to recall discussions that the Black Fleece Longwings were on the Barrie too.
post #6155 of 99314
Can anyone explain exactly what is cordovan color 8? Is it just a shade of color for the cordovan leather? Also, I found this...thought it was interesting how they aged differently. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ovan-over-time
post #6156 of 99314
New to the forum, and I just got a pair of Indy Natural a few days ago. Unfortunately I somehow managed to scrape the front of the shoe on the pavement while kneeling. . .anyone know what the best approach to "fixing" it would be? It just feels like anything I do with it will just end up darkening that scrape and make it stand out more.

Also, I own two other pairs of Indy's with the cork sole, but the rubber heel on these look totally different than my other Indy's. It is not nailed in, has no writing on it ("foot balance"), and it is highly textured. Did everyones Indy Natural come with this heel or is it just me?
post #6157 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Can anyone explain exactly what is cordovan color 8? Is it just a shade of color for the cordovan leather?

Also, I found this...thought it was interesting how they aged differently.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ovan-over-time

That's correct, Shell Cordovan is the leather (it's horse) and #8 is the shade of burgundy dye blend that Alden uses. The term "cordovan" is often used to describe the color burgundy but that is a misconception.

The #8 burgundy color fades beautifully to a more mellowed brownish tone over time. The red colors in the dye are the first to fade from exposure to sun. This is true with many types of red dye.
post #6158 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303 View Post
That's correct, Shell Cordovan is the leather (it's horse) and #8 is the shade of burgundy dye blend that Alden uses. The term "cordovan" is often used to describe the color burgundy but that is a misconception.

The #8 burgundy color fades beautifully to a more mellowed brownish tone over time. The red colors in the dye are the first to fade from exposure to sun. This is true with many types of red dye.
Gotcha. So #8 is exclusively to Alden. No other shoe maker like AE uses it or have a similar process?
post #6159 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizor View Post
Captoe #8s on Plaza last from Leathersoul, approx. 2 years of wear.



These are fantastic.
post #6160 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Gotcha. So #8 is exclusively to Alden. No other shoe maker like AE uses it or have a similar process?

Other brands might have a similar process but I believe the "#8" blend is just Alden
post #6161 of 99314
Just have been breaking in a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indys, which by the way are awesome! Thanks, Tom! I've been traveling, and the boots have gotten pretty dirty. Usually, I don't do much more than brush the dirt off my daily wear stuff, but the boots HAVE gotten pretty dirty. However, even online, there's no much info on how to care for the Kudu leather. I was thinking of a mild wipe down with a rag in saddle soap solution to get most of the dirt and grime off. But what should I do then? Does Kudu need any leather conditioner, neatsfoot oil, etc? It's already pretty oil-impregnated already, so not sure what I should do. I was thinking of Montana Pitch Blend, but does anybody have any better advice?
post #6162 of 99314
Hello. I'm new to the forum (been lurking for a few weeks)...joined in order to get some ideas to help me revamp my wardrobe (and shoe-drobe) as I transition to a field where I actually have to look presentable (education).

Having subsisted on a stead diet of sneakers (mostly classics) for the last several years, I've been looking to build a rotation of versatile footwear that toes the line between professorial and mod (shooting for 3-pairs). My search has led me so far to a pair of Color 8 Jumper boots courtesy of LSBH

I ended up with the Trubalance Jumpers in the size I normally wear instead of downsizing, and it seems to fit about right in terms of length (especially arch length) and width, but volume is a little big. With this in mind, can anyone recommend either a thin insole to add that will keep to the contours of the Trubalance footbed but decrease overall volume slightly, or socks that are thicker than dress socks to take up room, but don't retain too much heat in the already hot shell cordovan leather?

Ideas for another Alden model to complement the Color 8 Jumpers are welcome as well....The Blue Leffot wingtip boot is intriguing, as are Black Indys or Brown wingtip boots (upcoming Epaulet Shell Brixtons?)
post #6163 of 99314
Oh yes...also to weigh in on this issue of relative sizing across different Alden models and lasts:

Here is what I have experienced so far...I am a 9.5 in just about everything besides some large-running dress shoes (mostly european), and I measure about a 9 to 9.5 E on the Brannock (Left foot being slightly smaller). I have a somewhat wide forefoot, due in part to developing bunions, but otherwise fairly low-volume and low-arched. What I have tried :
- Officer Indy in a 9D : perfect fit with thin dress socks
- Epaulet Brixton (Barrie last) 9D: too narrow...felt similar in volume in Indy, but definitely more narrow in forefoot
- Shell Plain Toe boot (Barrie last) 9D: similar to Indy 9D...slightly more room than Brixton 9D
- Shell Plain Toe boot 9.5D in Shell: Felt just about right, albeit snug
- Shell Jumper boot (Trubalance) 9D: Felt a little bit tighter than Indy 9D, despite identical last...almost perfect fit with thin socks, but too tight with medium thick wool socks.
- Shell Jumper boot 9.5D: Just a touch loose with thin socks, nearly perfect with medium thick socks, although lacing is tied almost to max tightness.

...so definitely seem to be variations between models and materials, even assuming the same last and size.
post #6164 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
I seem to recall discussions that the Black Fleece Longwings were on the Barrie too.
They are certainly on the Grant last. Here is comparison of BBBF longwing with #8 Alden stock LWB:
LL
LL
LL
post #6165 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg428 View Post
I tried to find some real life photos on the Internet of Leffot's Greenwich Boots to no avail. I will really appreciate if you can post some, preferably with jeans.
http://blog.leffot.com/2010/09/01/th...oot-breakdown/ So no one owns these boots? I thought that these were quite popular boots. Leffot put two different batches for sale within the last 6,5 months. Please someone post pictures. Any comments regarding versatility will also be greatly appreciated-- I found some previous posts of Ahab where he inquired about their versatility but it seems no one had replied.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***