or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3966

post #59476 of 96806
Favorite pair for travel!

post #59477 of 96806
dslonghorn4, whiskey LHS is a great looking loafer. Safe travels my friend.
post #59478 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestbash View Post
 

I believe the pebble grain loafer is available on the Brooks Bros website. Right know it won't load for me for some reason.

 

Edit: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Textured-Tassel-Loafers/MH00347,default,pd.html?dwvar_MH00347_Color=DKBR&contentpos=70&cgid=0522

89826, Vestbash is correct.  What type of pants would you pair the pebble tassels with? Khakis?

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswound View Post

pardon the denim looking stiff first time i actually put it on. stirpot.gif stirpot.gif

 
I like my denim a little starchy.  Also, applause on them not being excessively tight, or the cuff being excessively wide.  You seem to have mastered the art of moderation with this pair.:fonz:
post #59479 of 96806

I have a question for everyone here. What percentage of your Alden shoes would you say to be in shell? Just from what I have followed here in the last month or two, it seems that for the most part, people here are most interested in Shell, then Suede, then regular calf skin last. I don't know if I've seen any calf skin boot other than the Indy come up in photos here. Just a curious observation.

post #59480 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

I have a question for everyone here. What percentage of your Alden shoes would you say to be in shell? Just from what I have followed here in the last month or two, it seems that for the most part, people here are most interested in Shell, then Suede, then regular calf skin last. I don't know if I've seen any calf skin boot other than the Indy come up in photos here. Just a curious observation.

I have:

6 Shell
2 CXL (both i'm planning on getting rid of, LS ultimate indy and LS Plaza Wingtip CXL)
2 Suede

so 60% shell.
post #59481 of 96806

9 pair of shell

3 pair of cxl, both brown and natural

2 pair of suede

1 pair of alpine grain

post #59482 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

I have a question for everyone here. What percentage of your Alden shoes would you say to be in shell? Just from what I have followed here in the last month or two, it seems that for the most part, people here are most interested in Shell, then Suede, then regular calf skin last. I don't know if I've seen any calf skin boot other than the Indy come up in photos here. Just a curious observation.

Im at 100%icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
2 shoes
1 chukka
4 boots
post #59483 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

I have a question for everyone here. What percentage of your Alden shoes would you say to be in shell? Just from what I have followed here in the last month or two, it seems that for the most part, people here are most interested in Shell, then Suede, then regular calf skin last. I don't know if I've seen any calf skin boot other than the Indy come up in photos here. Just a curious observation.

I think a lot of it has to do with the marginal price difference between calfskin (~$500) and shell (~$650). But still, even in the calfskin price range, I opt for cxl or suede first simply due to more appealing offerings.
post #59484 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbourne View Post


I think a lot of it has to do with the marginal price difference between calfskin (~$500) and shell (~$650). But still, even in the calfskin price range, I'd opt for cxl or suede first.

 

A very good point, something I was thinking of. Not to knock Alden, but at $450-550 price range, there are a lot of companies making lots of beautiful shoes in regular calfskin. Not nearly as many with nice shell make ups in the $625-$750 range.

 

I would also say that, in my opinion, Alden makes the nicest boots in the world; and lots of their boots are offered in shell. The shell boots seems to look a little better after a few seasons of age. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order my first pair of Alden shoes later this year, a #8 boot.

post #59485 of 96806
Does using a deer bone really help to get rid of scratches? More than a spoon? I am skeptical of the oils in the bone helping angle, because aren't the bones quite dry to the touch? How much deer oil could get transferred?

I ask because I do have a few pairs which have scratches, and I have got some time on my hands to do something about them.

What do you all recommend?

My stash is 30 shell pairs, one calf, and one kid suede.
Edited by 89826 - 9/10/13 at 4:39pm
post #59486 of 96806

8 Pairs Shell

1 Pair suede

 

If Alden didn't do shell, I would probably have little interest in them, regardless of how "in style" they are lately.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

Does using a deer bone really help to get rid of scratches? More than a spoon? I am skeptical of the oils in the bone helping angle, because aren't the bones quite dry to the touch? How much deer oil could get transferred?

I ask because I do have a few pairs which have scratches, and I have got some time on my hands to do something about them.

What do you all recommend?

My stash is 30 shell pairs, one calf.

 

I agree about the oils in the bone angle.  Someone once pointed out that if you take a deer bone untreated from a carcass it will quickly go rancid.  Which leads me to believe that the bone is probably bleached with peroxide or something.  I think its more about having something smooth and hard, and that a spoon would have an equally as good result.  However, I cannot speak from experience.

post #59487 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post

Does using a deer bone really help to get rid of scratches? More than a spoon? I am skeptical of the oils in the bone helping angle, because aren't the bones quite dry to the touch? How much deer oil could get transferred?

I ask because I do have a few pairs which have scratches, and I have got some time on my hands to do something about them.

What do you all recommend?

My stash is 30 shell pairs, one calf.

My experience has been it works much better than a spoon. Referring to the deer bones that are sold by companies like abbeyhorn, and not something fido might chew on. The bone has been smoothed and immersed in some type of oil and I have had a lot of success removing nicks, minor scratches, etc.
post #59488 of 96806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

If Alden didn't do shell, I would probably have little interest in them, regardless of how "in style" they are lately.

good point. alden and shell cordovan are synonymous to my ears
post #59489 of 96806

Pardon me if already posted: http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/sale/products/alden-for-epaulet-milkshake-suede-indy-boot @$395 looks like just 9.5& 10 D.

post #59490 of 96806

Just started  3 shell boots, 2 shell LHS;  2 suede: 1 calfskin 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***