or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3955

post #59311 of 99232
Sometimes I think Steven makes his some of his Alden makeups a bit too busy. Brass eyelets and the contrasting welt are a bit distracting on that model IMO. I like Alden NYC's Indy Boot a better when for a navy chromexcel option (though I don't think I will buy it)


Alden is pretty conservative, especially with their cordovan. Cordovan to them is a core part of their dress shoe and boot businesses, while other manufacturers may see it as more of a side novelty. Given a finite amount of hides available to them, Alden may just want to continue filing color 8, black, then cigar/ravello/whiskey orders as opposed to exploring new models. There seem to always be more orders in those five colors to fill.
post #59312 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Well I don't think plaza lasted boots are sought after outside of this forum

The Plaza last has a lot of fans, but most retailers seem to indicate that Barrie is the most popular last for dress casual shoes / boots. That said a lot of buyers (maybe a majority) probably don't know or care about lasts, or would be fine with either
post #59313 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post



Alden 4065
Lovely boots sir.
post #59314 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

The Plaza last has a lot of fans, but most retailers seem to indicate that Barrie is the most popular last for dress casual shoes / boots. That said a lot of buyers (maybe a majority) probably don't know or care about lasts, or would be fine with either

Well said, what I was going for as in most buyers don't really think about everything we do here
post #59315 of 99232
Thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

Think they might just be my next acquisition target 

You won't be disappointed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Lovely boots sir.



Dress shoe laces for laces. Wish I had thought of it sooner
post #59316 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Great looking shoe, Bakes. Something like that will be my next balmoral purchase.

Thank you for the kind words, tifosi.  If I find myself wearing a suit daily, as I once did, then I will use it as an excuse to acquire the 9070 and 9071 (Strait Tip Bal) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Nothin' but love for you here my friend.  I have placed the black shell PCT bals on my Alden que behind an NST.  It may be a while though.  Keep posting your pics!

Thanks for the love RTP.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just upload my pics and PM them directly to you!  I favor the way that a black shoe looks with charcoal suit, but it's nice to throw Color 8 in there too and change things up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post


Agreed - Bakes, they look fabulous! Nice suit too.

So very kind of you to say so, Sir.  I have very plain and conservative taste.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Both models are great. Well done.

The 9015 and 9016, or their BB brethren, are business staples for many of us that buy Aldens, at least in part, for professional business dress. And the same goes for the 2160 and 2161, or their BB brethren.

SFTG, I have always regarded you as a classy gentleman with impeccable taste, and these comments strongly reinforce that belief.  Thank you for your praise and admiration.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


The Plaza last has a lot of fans, but most retailers seem to indicate that Barrie is the most popular last for dress casual shoes / boots. That said a lot of buyers (maybe a majority) probably don't know or care about lasts, or would be fine with either

I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie.  (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups.  If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie.  I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

 

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?

post #59317 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie.  (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups.  If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie.  I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?

I am with you, as my ideal size on the Barrie is a B width. I usually just go down one size and get the D. That's works for me, but not as ideal.
post #59318 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

Who here has the Unlined Suede LHS with the flex soles. How is the fit compared to other LHS lined and unlined. I would imagine they would stretch out some. Is the sole flimsy vs the normal single sole? Thanks for any imput .. Contemplating a light tan model .. My princess is tired of so many brown/#8 shoes.biggrin.gif

 

I have a number of shell LHS and bought this summer the exact model you are contemplating -- tan suede LHS.

 

I really like the tan suede LHS - versatile, comfortable, and great-looking.

 

The suede does feel lighter than the shell LHS.  The sole is more flexible than the single leather sole on the LHS, and the suede leather feels thinner, softer and lighter on the feet than shell. They feel like a different shoe than the shell LHS.  

 

I live in a four season climate where the colder seasons are longer than the warmer ones.  So I view the suede shoes as very seasonal and unable to see nearly the use that the shell LHS's do.  

post #59319 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Sometimes I think Steven makes his some of his Alden makeups a bit too busy. Brass eyelets and the contrasting welt are a bit distracting on that model IMO. I like Alden NYC's Indy Boot a better when for a navy chromexcel option (though I don't think I will buy it)


Alden is pretty conservative, especially with their cordovan. Cordovan to them is a core part of their dress shoe and boot businesses, while other manufacturers may see it as more of a side novelty. Given a finite amount of hides available to them, Alden may just want to continue filing color 8, black, then cigar/ravello/whiskey orders as opposed to exploring new models. There seem to always be more orders in those five colors to fill.

 

+1.  I think Alden people are really good business people.  They know their success model is to stick to their core designs and maintain their traditional image.  But I will not complain if they come out with my navy naval boot dream MTO.  

post #59320 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie.  (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups.  If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie.  I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

 

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?

Same here.  I am a C with the Barrie.  I have tried to size down and go to a D but won't work, not when you're buying a $700 shoe.  And it's too bad because the Barrie C actually fits me really well.  So I'm in pre-order lists with a number of retailers hoping that even one of my requests will materialize.  

post #59321 of 99232
post #59322 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post
 

Those Ravello's short wings are superb MrDV.

 

thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Very nice, MrDV!

thank you tifosi.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


Gorgeous looking Ravello boots MrDV.

thanks be.

post #59323 of 99232
Changed my mind.
Edited by MrDV - 9/5/13 at 11:14pm
post #59324 of 99232
Anyone do a pre-order from JGilbert in Seattle this year, receive their order yet? I ordered a pair of #8 captoes from them.

I've tried contacting them, but didn't get a response.
post #59325 of 99232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I hope Alden sticks with the shell colors they have. nod[1].gif

I agree, and I'll take Cigar, Ravello, or Whiskey over navy shell any day of the week, but the problem with this is that they haven't released any new shoes in these colors recently, and they have a 3+ year backlog to fill orders. Why not branch out in the meantime?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***