or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3756

post #56326 of 87746
How does the Hampton last fit? I'm wear a:

10.5D Barrie/Truebalance
10.5E Aberdeen
11E Leydon

Would I take a 10.5E or an 11D Hampton?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #56327 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Had a good day today, dropped by Alden DC as was in town and picked up a Cigar LHS, Cigar Belt, and Whiskey Belt. Also, got an unlined LHS in Color 8 from BB. Shipped to my house, so will post pics when I get them.

I think I sound like Steve now... :-)
Congrats on a great haul. Alden DC has been a great source for many of my rare shell shoe and belt catches. Job well done. I've been off the hunt lately. Finishing up a remodel project that one part of it had issues and I had to jump in and get tough. Another thing is it finally hot here so business is booming. I'm earning some money for a fall surge! Watch out. To be honest I still have over a 1/2 dozen pairs I still need to break in via the Mac protocol..

Glad to see everyone is doing well.

See Ya,
Steve
post #56328 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbs View Post

How does the Hampton last fit? I'm wear a:

10.5D Barrie/Truebalance
10.5E Aberdeen
11E Leydon

Would I take a 10.5E or an 11D Hampton?

10.5E if I had to guess.

post #56329 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbs View Post

How does the Hampton last fit? I'm wear a:

10.5D Barrie/Truebalance
10.5E Aberdeen
11E Leydon

Would I take a 10.5E or an 11D Hampton?

I wear 10.5D Barrie and 11E Hampton. The latter is a bit roomier.
post #56330 of 87746
My color8 LWBs have threads coming out at 2 places. I am aware that many people face these quality issues with alden. Could friends on the forum guide me as to what I should do? Should I snip the thread with a pair of scissors or. Can I just let them be?
post #56331 of 87746

anyone else use leather tipped crepe / plantation soles?

 

 

 

 

post #56332 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar View Post

My color8 LWBs have threads coming out at 2 places. I am aware that many people face these quality issues with alden. Could friends on the forum guide me as to what I should do? Should I snip the thread with a pair of scissors or. Can I just let them be?

nephew,
snip the thread with your scissors
post #56333 of 87746
If someone is typically a 10 1/2 C, would a 10 D likely fit ? I got an inquiry on this for one of my auctions for a shoe that's on the Barrie last. I'm guessing I can't say for certain without first knowing on which last this person wears a 10 1/2 C?
post #56334 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi Kakar View Post

My color8 LWBs have threads coming out at 2 places. I am aware that many people face these quality issues with alden. Could friends on the forum guide me as to what I should do? Should I snip the thread with a pair of scissors or. Can I just let them be?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

nephew,
snip the thread with your scissors


Not opposed to snipping the thread, but I have gotten better results by using a lit match to burn the loose end down. This seems to stop all future unravelling- but does require a gentle hand.
post #56335 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


welcome to the forum
wear in good health your king gunboats

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


Outstanding acquisition sir. For your next pair I'd say get some boots, but don't be swayed by my opinion. Wipe your new 975's with a damp cloth, buff the heck out of them, and be prepared to hear people say "nice shoes" wherever you go. Wear them in the best of health.

 

 

Thank you both for the warm welcome. My mac method skills need a lot of work to get to the level of shine I see posted here, but I will definitely do my best.

 

I do like the look of a lot of Alden boots, but assumed they would be too hot to wear in south Florida. I suppose I may have to reconsider. 

post #56336 of 87746
Wear my boots often here in Atlanta and find them comfortable. course I like a good pair of loafers this time of year as well.
post #56337 of 87746

I recently acquired a pair of cigar PTB's via TSM. It was a makeup that I wanted for some and when I saw my size available, I jumped on them. Upon receipt, I noticed that the finish was streaky and uneven. After careful examination, I decided to keep them. However, over the ensuing weeks, I found that in sunlight the uneven finish was much more noticeable than I originally thought. Note, original examination was indoors at night and the first few times I wore them were in overcast days & evenings.

 

After owning them for a month, I figured I would contact Alden to inquire about refinishing. I also reached out to Shoemart for advice. I offerred to send TSM pictures and the CS rep passed them along to Ed, the owner. He immediately suggested I return them to shoemart who would work with Alden directly. I was uneasy about sending them back to Alden myself as I'd read about long, long turnaround times.

 

To my surprise, about 3 weeks passed and my shoes are back in hand. The finish is factory fresh with no unevenness or streaks. I have to give kudos to TSM for their help.

 

Before:

 

 

 

 

(Note, I boosted the contrast to make the unevenness more noticeable).

 

 

 

And after refinishing:

 

post #56338 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

You may be misunderstanding what has been written.  If all that is present is the line making the cap toe, Alden calls them straight tips but still categorizes them under cap toe.  If there are perforations/broguing, Alden refers to them as cap toe followed by the description of the perforations/broguing.

 

You will not find "straight tip" on the name of any of Aldens shoes that have perforations/broguing.  If I am wrong, forgive me.  We are all friends here, no need for frustration or condescension in tone.  Good day gents...

 

RTP, I am afraid you are mistaken.  Alden does not use the term Cap Toe anywhere that I can see on these shoes (please correct me if I am wrong this time).  They use the term Straight Tip (or Medallion Tip on the one with a medallion).  I don't think I've misunderstood anything, and I'm not meaning to sound frustrated or condescending.  I'm simply surprised that there was such a long debate over something that is easily referenced on their website for all to see.  All I was really trying to say is that Alden uses their own terminology to describe shoes that have the same traditional patterns as other high quality dress shoe manufacturers.  They are the only ones that use their own terminology, in spite of the fact that the other terminology is quite mainstream and recognized.  I really don't care if someone chooses to use their own terminology for their product, but apparently it is causing confusion (hence this conversation), and I do find that frustrating. 

 

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=69&PageID=8

 

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=71&PageID=8

 

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=72&PageID=8

 

http://aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=2&ProductID=73&PageID=8

 

EDIT:

I went back and read your original post. You seem to have missed in my quote above where I said that other retailers (such as The Shoe Mart) do refer to some of their Alden Shoes as Cap Toes. However, that doesn't change that Alden does not call them Cap Toes, they call them Straight Tips. Insert people's confusion.


Edited by MoneyWellSpent - 8/2/13 at 7:26am
post #56339 of 87746
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I recently acquired a pair of cigar PTB's via TSM. It was a makeup that I wanted for some and when I saw my size available, I jumped on them. Upon receipt, I noticed that the finish was streaky and uneven. After careful examination, I decided to keep them. However, over the ensuing weeks, I found that in sunlight the uneven finish was much more noticeable than I originally thought. Note, original examination was indoors at night and the first few times I wore them were in overcast days & evenings.

After owning them for a month, I figured I would contact Alden to inquire about refinishing. I also reached out to Shoemart for advice. I offerred to send TSM pictures and the CS rep passed them along to Ed, the owner. He immediately suggested I return them to shoemart who would work with Alden directly. I was uneasy about sending them back to Alden myself as I'd read about long, long turnaround times.

To my surprise, about 3 weeks passed and my shoes are back in hand. The finish is factory fresh with no unevenness or streaks. I have to give kudos to TSM for their help.

Before:








(Note, I boosted the contrast to make the unevenness more noticeable).





And after refinishing:


Patrick_b, beautiful pair of shoes sir. Your patience was definitely rewarded. Wear them in the best of health.
post #56340 of 87746

Grant Cigar Cap Toe - Straight Tip's today

Marcoliani Argyle OTC ala Uncle

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***