or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3676

post #55126 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Very nice Uncle! Need some LHS in my wardrobe.

nephew,
thank you

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #55127 of 90039

nephew,
good looking cigar
post #55128 of 90039
wt boot
argyles otc

post #55129 of 90039
Do any of you guys have multiple pairs of the identical shoe? Whenever I see a crazy good deal for a new pair on eBay, I snatch it up. I now have 4 pairs of the J. Crew antique tan LWBs. I justified having 2 by keeping them at different locations as I travel for work. With 4, this will be my go-to shoe until I die. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of compulsive, hoarder psychosis. That, or I'm just a sucker for a good sale.
post #55130 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

Do any of you guys have multiple pairs of the identical shoe? Whenever I see a crazy good deal for a new pair on eBay, I snatch it up. I now have 4 pairs of the J. Crew antique tan LWBs. I justified having 2 by keeping them at different locations as I travel for work. With 4, this will be my go-to shoe until I die. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of compulsive, hoarder psychosis. That, or I'm just a sucker for a good sale.

The Sartorialist blogger does:

 

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/my-aldens/

 

020113-ScottsAldens_web.jpg

post #55131 of 90039
^ I forgot about Mafoo and his "1-shoe" wardrobe. Although, I think sanity will kick in before I reach 7 pairs like him.
post #55132 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

Do any of you guys have multiple pairs of the identical shoe? Whenever I see a crazy good deal for a new pair on eBay, I snatch it up. I now have 4 pairs of the J. Crew antique tan LWBs. I justified having 2 by keeping them at different locations as I travel for work. With 4, this will be my go-to shoe until I die. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of compulsive, hoarder psychosis. That, or I'm just a sucker for a good sale.

And I thought I was bad because I have a number of Aldens in different colors: LHS, NST, PTB, longwings, captoes and chukkas in various cordovan colors and Indy boots in various leathers. But multiple copies of the same shoe?

My doctor wears nothing but black PTBs. They look to be calf PTBs and are probably Allen Edmonds. He is getting a bit wild, however: he recently showed up in PTBs made of pebble grain black calf.

Many moons ago I knew an academic in NYC who was a German descent and he had seven white shirts, seven black pants, seven black jackets, black socks, wifebeater t's and seven pair of black PTBs. All were of the finest quality I was assured. The shoes may well have been Aldens. The shoes all had trees, looked pristine and always shined. He said he never wanted to spend a moment thinking about what to wear.
Edited by aldenwear - 7/15/13 at 1:11pm
post #55133 of 90039
Any place I am missing for NOT Color 8 or black Wingtip Boots? About to pull the trigger and trying to decide between Shoemart (pebble grain), J.Gilbert (cognac brown) or Epaulet (nat. cxl)? I need size 8 Barrie (nothing out there used/secondary?). Any others out there available shell or not. Any thoughts on those three choices? Thanks...JT
Edited by jt2gt - 7/15/13 at 12:27pm
post #55134 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

^ I forgot about Mafoo and his "1-shoe" wardrobe. Although, I think sanity will kick in before I reach 7 pairs like him.

I'd be worried about only being 3 pairs away from 'foo.
foo.gif
post #55135 of 90039
What makes CXL a casual leather? I've seen some pics where it shines nicely, and has a nice patina, so why is it not considered as dressy as shell and just below calf
post #55136 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2gt View Post

Any place I am missing for NOT Color 8 or black Wingtip Boots? About to pull the trigger and trying to decide between Shoemart (pebble grain), J.Gilbert (cognac brown) or Epaulet (nat. cxl)? I need size 8 Barrie (nothing out there used/secondary?). Any others out there available shell or not. Any thoughts on those three choices? Thanks...JT

Try Unionmade.

post #55137 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

Do any of you guys have multiple pairs of the identical shoe? Whenever I see a crazy good deal for a new pair on eBay, I snatch it up. I now have 4 pairs of the J. Crew antique tan LWBs. I justified having 2 by keeping them at different locations as I travel for work. With 4, this will be my go-to shoe until I die. I'm beginning to think I have some kind of compulsive, hoarder psychosis. That, or I'm just a sucker for a good sale.

 

I had 2 pairs of #8 LHS at one point, (They accidentally charged me twice and sent 2).  Returned the second pair since I could not justify keeping it, even at 30% off.  In hindsight, I wish I had kept it and changed the edge trim to antique.
post #55138 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

I'd be worried about only being 3 pairs away from 'foo.
foo.gif

You make a compelling argument.
post #55139 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2gt View Post

Any place I am missing for NOT Color 8 or black Wingtip Boots? About to pull the trigger and trying to decide between Shoemart (pebble grain), J.Gilbert (cognac brown) or Epaulet (nat. cxl)? I need size 8 Barrie (nothing out there used/secondary?). Any others out there available shell or not. Any thoughts on those three choices? Thanks...JT

you mentioned barrie, but I'll throw it out there.. is Modified not an option? Moulded has/had a couple options last time I perused their site

post #55140 of 90039
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

What makes CXL a casual leather? I've seen some pics where it shines nicely, and has a nice patina, so why is it not considered as dressy as shell and just below calf

for me, how it creases. I find it stretches fairly aggressively from foot to foot, so the creasing can be exaggerated. 

 

my admittedly not well taken care of indys.. Im sure a pair of dover type cxls can be dressed up, but the creasing would eventually "force" them casual for me..

 

 

 

 

 

just my .02

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***