or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3675

post #55111 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post





The lesson here is that the only foolproof sizing advice is to try them on.
Indubitably!

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #55112 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Use paste wax only when necessary (to cover up a scuff or add color to a faded pair)

Is that what "only necessary" means? I always thought it was for when your shoes looked dull. For instance, you would do it once a year to bring the shine up.
post #55113 of 86752
I was in the Bay Area for a long weekend and visited the SF store for the first time. As expected, absolutely no exotic shell and Robert (nice guy) said that none is expected for at least the rest of this year. I needed another pair of boots for the rest of the summer so ended up buying the unlined flex welt snuff chukka.

Wore them the next day and was at a Starbucks waiting for my espresso when this cutie got her coffee and walked by saying "wow, nice shoes!". Other than some friends, strangers never comment on my shoes (except for my nat CXL Indy's once). Made my day!
post #55114 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Try not to overcomplicate the procedure.  It really is as a simple as:

Wipe down with damp cloth
Brush rigorously with horsehair brush
Buff with cloth

Use paste wax only when necessary (to cover up a scuff or add color to a faded pair)

A lot of people add unnecessary steps.  Uncle Mac has great looking shoes that he has owned for years/decades that have never seen wax/polish/product.

Definitely good advice. The only variation I added was to clean with a little Lexol before starting. From that point it was just water and brushing. Pretty amazing to think (for a novice like me) that we can somehow make shoes that can be shined and cared for with no polish. Here's the results so far....



The lighting really doesn't do them justice as they really have a nice shine to them. All with not one bit of polish. I will continue this method and even try the dear bone once it arrives, but I am truly blown away with this less is more concept. I can certainly see why people pay a premium for shell. Again, thanks.
post #55115 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Definitely good advice. The only variation I added was to clean with a little Lexol before starting. From that point it was just water and brushing. Pretty amazing to think (for a novice like me) that we can somehow make shoes that can be shined and cared for with no polish. Here's the results so far....



The lighting really doesn't do them justice as they really have a nice shine to them. All with not one bit of polish. I will continue this method and even try the dear bone once it arrives, but I am truly blown away with this less is more concept. I can certainly see why people pay a premium for shell. Again, thanks.

Nice! An close up outdoor pic with natural sun would be great if you have a chance. Loos like a great shine you have.
post #55116 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Nice! An close up outdoor pic with natural sun would be great if you have a chance. Loos like a great shine you have.

Gladly, here goes.....



What this effort has shown me is that I now need to work on the welt. Other than that, I am quite pleased with how these have turned out (so far).
post #55117 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

I was in the Bay Area for a long weekend and visited the SF store for the first time. As expected, absolutely no exotic shell and Robert (nice guy) said that none is expected for at least the rest of this year. I needed another pair of boots for the rest of the summer so ended up buying the unlined flex welt snuff chukka.

Wore them the next day and was at a Starbucks waiting for my espresso when this cutie got her coffee and walked by saying "wow, nice shoes!". Other than some friends, strangers never comment on my shoes (except for my nat CXL Indy's once). Made my day!

Nice. I am visiting San Francisco this weekend. I plan on stopping by Alden SF and Unionmade.
post #55118 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


Is that what "only necessary" means? I always thought it was for when your shoes looked dull. For instance, you would do it once a year to bring the shine up.

I'm not the authority on the subject, but shell should be able to be buffed back to a high shine with no polish, even after a few years of wear.  This is because of the natural waxes and oils in the leather.  The thing that causes a shine is a smooth surface, so if you can bring out the oils on the surface, and make them smooth and even with buffing and brushing, you should not need polish.  I don't think wax once a year is a bad thing, just not necessary to get a good shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post


Definitely good advice. The only variation I added was to clean with a little Lexol before starting. From that point it was just water and brushing. Pretty amazing to think (for a novice like me) that we can somehow make shoes that can be shined and cared for with no polish. Here's the results so far....

The lighting really doesn't do them justice as they really have a nice shine to them. All with not one bit of polish. I will continue this method and even try the dear bone once it arrives, but I am truly blown away with this less is more concept. I can certainly see why people pay a premium for shell. Again, thanks.

They look great, good job!  You will only get better with practice.

post #55119 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Gladly, here goes.....



What this effort has shown me is that I now need to work on the welt. Other than that, I am quite pleased with how these have turned out (so far).
Fine job shawnc. They look great.
post #55120 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post






 

 

Those look like Unlined Brooks Brothers LHS with natural welt and sole?  What is the story behind them?

post #55121 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

Definitely good advice. The only variation I added was to clean with a little Lexol before starting. From that point it was just water and brushing. Pretty amazing to think (for a novice like me) that we can somehow make shoes that can be shined and cared for with no polish. Here's the results so far....



The lighting really doesn't do them justice as they really have a nice shine to them. All with not one bit of polish. I will continue this method and even try the dear bone once it arrives, but I am truly blown away with this less is more concept. I can certainly see why people pay a premium for shell. Again, thanks.

well done job!
post #55122 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Nice. I am visiting San Francisco this weekend. I plan on stopping by Alden SF and Unionmade.

Didn't have time to make it by Unionmade. Weather was perfect. Enjoy!
post #55123 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Those look like Unlined Brooks Brothers LHS with natural welt and sole?  What is the story behind them?

Bakes11771 - I wish I knew. I picked these up used off of ebay before I had any clue what shell cordovan meant. I fell in love with them because I like the versatility of cordovan and I had never seen shoes with a natural welt (I didn't even know what a welt was). I just knew I liked the look and that Alden was a pretty high-end shoe. So, I don't know the history but your assumption is correct, they are the LHS BB unlined. BTW, thanks again for the advice on the method of care. They are coming along nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

well done job!

Thanks for the words mcarthur. I followed your you tube clip and will continue to use it as I try to get these to pop.
post #55124 of 86752

Do any of you guys own both the Alden Indy boots and the Wolverine 1000 miles and can compare the fit? 

post #55125 of 86752
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafG View Post

Do any of you guys own both the Alden Indy boots and the Wolverine 1000 miles and can compare the fit? 
If you google alden indy boot vs 1000 mile you will find enough on the subject to keep you reading all day and then some
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***