Welcome to the king of LWBs club, my friend! Wear in great health...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3655
Styleforum Top Picks
Hello blue collar,
the original Poster from the British government shows "Keep calm and carry on" in 1939 in the UK - actually hip these days
Disagree, aldenwear. I think black tassels are a step below the formality of black balmoral cap toes. I think glenjay had a chart on his blog of the formality rules, usually more seams = less dressy. Tassels only have one seam (on the upper) whereas NSTs have four, at least.
First, the writer wasn't asking about black tassels. He was asking about color 8. Second, who is glenjay and why would "glenjay" have any authority on the question? Third, who says seams is the be-all-end-all criteria for dressy?
What about last? For example, take the Alden barrie last PTB. There are no seams at all. But the roundness of the shoe makes it less than dressy for many whereas the same shoe on a sleeker last -- plaza, for example, makes the otherwise same shoe more formal.
What about ornamentation other than seams- like tassels or brogueing? I have always heard that more brogueing, less formality.
What about laces v. slip-on?
What about welt? Color of the welt or edge? Leffot makes the Alden Barrie last PTB even less dressy than the regular Barrie last PTB with an antiqued welt.
And let's be honest: as good-looking a shoe as the Alden tassel loafer may be, how in the world can you take a flopping tassel seriously? I mean, the shoe is called a mocassin -- the essence of casual. If you have one shoe for needs that include business, how can a tassel be the choice?
Of course, the answer really is to avoid a debate that is inherently subjective, and get all three.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 27 seconds ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 36 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 4 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Necktie Appreciation Thread 14 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 18 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 19 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 19 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015