Welcome to the king of LWBs club, my friend! Wear in great health...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3655
Styleforum Top Picks
Hello blue collar,
the original Poster from the British government shows "Keep calm and carry on" in 1939 in the UK - actually hip these days
Disagree, aldenwear. I think black tassels are a step below the formality of black balmoral cap toes. I think glenjay had a chart on his blog of the formality rules, usually more seams = less dressy. Tassels only have one seam (on the upper) whereas NSTs have four, at least.
First, the writer wasn't asking about black tassels. He was asking about color 8. Second, who is glenjay and why would "glenjay" have any authority on the question? Third, who says seams is the be-all-end-all criteria for dressy?
What about last? For example, take the Alden barrie last PTB. There are no seams at all. But the roundness of the shoe makes it less than dressy for many whereas the same shoe on a sleeker last -- plaza, for example, makes the otherwise same shoe more formal.
What about ornamentation other than seams- like tassels or brogueing? I have always heard that more brogueing, less formality.
What about laces v. slip-on?
What about welt? Color of the welt or edge? Leffot makes the Alden Barrie last PTB even less dressy than the regular Barrie last PTB with an antiqued welt.
And let's be honest: as good-looking a shoe as the Alden tassel loafer may be, how in the world can you take a flopping tassel seriously? I mean, the shoe is called a mocassin -- the essence of casual. If you have one shoe for needs that include business, how can a tassel be the choice?
Of course, the answer really is to avoid a debate that is inherently subjective, and get all three.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 18 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 49 seconds ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 2nd October 2015 - "Something Old, something New,... 53 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 1 minute ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE OCTOBER 9TH - THE JACKET (OR COAT) CHALLENGE 2 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 2 minutes ago
- › Patrick Booth's (Almost) Daily Gratitude Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Patrick Booth's (Almost) Daily Haiku Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...