Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3597
Styleforum Top Picks
I love them all, but if forced to choose just one, I would go with color 8. Ravello would be next.
I am an engineer, so I would come up with Use Cases for each (outfit's they go well with) and pick the one that goes with more of your wardrobe. But if I had to go straight up just off of looks, I prefer the Ravellos. Though its hard to go wrong with either. Happy hunting!
I know Alden DC just had a run of the Ravello LWBs start and they should be done in the August to September time frame. I am anxiously awaiting mine. But depending upon your size, they may still have some from their previous runs. I know Frans Boone has a pair in Cigar in 10.5D on the Barrie. I am not sure of anywhere else off the top of my head.
Shell cordovan leather should not make sizing any more difficult than calfskin leather, unless you only are referencing the no-crease issue. Go to a brick and mortar store and try on some shell shoes. Hang in there.
Cigar gets the nod for versatility.
Ravello gets the nod for uniqueness.
It's a close call, but I'd go cigar.
I own them both
Color #8 is a great starting point. I think people forget sometimes that the color changes over time. #8 is a rich color that has more depth than cigar. Though I'd say ravello is more vibrant than either. Ravello and to a lesser extent cigar gets more attention because its more difficult to obtain. Having said that, go with what pleases you.
I have the cigar LWB and given the choice between the two, would still go with cigar. I like ravello, but I don't think I would have the occasion to wear them very often, so they're not on the top of my wish list.
I believe ravello is more difficult to find, so if you are on the fence in terms of personal preference and you would get equal use from either, I'd go with ravello. You could pick up a cigar later.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 3 minutes ago
- › Tricker's Piccadilly brogues 3 minutes ago
- › Why wear a wrist watch when you could easily consult your phone for... 6 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015