or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3537

post #53041 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TactileOne View Post

Great film on Horween at the bottom, the other products are also interesting. http://www.shinola.com/the-places-we-work#

Nice post, thanks for sharing.  I like that they seem to take a lot of pride in the quality of their work.  Not something you see too much of anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiglarsen View Post

 

What is the difference between these and the J. Crew captoe #8 boots besides being available and having all eyelets and no speed hooks? 

Antique Edge Trim, 360 welt (vs closed heel)

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #53042 of 87340

Just got back from a great trip to No Cal.  Stopped by Alden of SF.  Unfortunately they had nothing in Cigar, Whiskey, or Ravello in my size.  Was told though, that they have some in size 11 if anyone here is interested.  I need to give a shout-out and thank you to Larry, the SA I spoke with there.  He comp'ed me a jar of tan paste wax after I told him that I missed snagging a pair of whiskey short-wing  oxfords from their website back in December, but that I found it at Alden DC.  He was very friendly.  I also appreciated how well he took care of the shoes on display.  Every shoe looked immaculate.  When I walked in, he was hard at work cleaning and buffing several pairs of shoes.

 

One interesting make-up (exclusively made for A of SF) I saw was what looked to be a darkish, natural cxl PTB, unlined, on an oiled single leather sole.  Looked just like my tan suede PTBs from JCrew, only nat cxl.

 

Great to be back!


Edited by ReppTiePrepster - 6/10/13 at 3:17pm
post #53043 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Awesome Uncle!  NST is in my near future!!

nephew,
thank you
post #53044 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Just got back from a great trip to No Cal.  Stopped by Alden of SF.  Unfortunately they had nothing in Cigar, Whiskey, or Ravello in my size.  Was told though, that they have some in size 11 if anyone here is interested.  I need to give a shout-out and thank you to Larry, the SA I spoke with there.  He comp'ed me a tin of tan paste wax after I told him that I missed snagging a pair of whiskey short-wing  oxfords from their website back in December, but that I found it at Alden DC.  He was very friendly.  I also appreciated how well he took care of the shoes on display.  Every shoe looked immaculate.  When I walked in, he was hard at work cleaning and buffing several pairs of shoes.

 

One interesting make-up (exclusively made for A of SF) I saw was what looked to be a darkish, natural cxl PTB, unlined, on an oiled single leather sole.  Looked just like my tan suede PTBs from JCrew, only nat cxl.

 

Great to be back!

 

curious, what is your size? wondering if it's worth contacting them about something for myself

post #53045 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

whiskey indy
argyles otc

 

this is interesting lacing.

 

correct me if i am wrong but are the eyelet/non speedhook lacing so that only one side of the laces goes across?

 

EG.  as this is a little difficult to describe i have used a pic of how i believe the lacing works.  the image shows where each side laces travels underneath.

 

note: i do like the idea of parallel eyelets combined with crossed speed hooks and the 'only one lace crosses' for the eyelets makes it very neat.

 

 

post #53046 of 87340

The shoe mart

 

Ravello Chukks size 11 D

 

Cigar Chukka size 11 & 12

 

listed available

post #53047 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

 

curious, what is your size? wondering if it's worth contacting them about something for myself

I wear 10-10.5D... if you are serious about finding some shells or other Alden make-ups, it is always worth it to make contact.  Good luck my friend!

post #53048 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusttruffle View Post

 

this is interesting lacing.

 

correct me if i am wrong but are the eyelet/non speedhook lacing so that only one side of the laces goes across?

 

EG.  as this is a little difficult to describe i have used a pic of how i believe the lacing works.  the image shows where each side laces travels underneath.

 

note: i do like the idea of parallel eyelets combined with crossed speed hooks and the 'only one lace crosses' for the eyelets makes it very neat.

 

 

 

post #53049 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Just got back from a great trip to No Cal.  Stopped by Alden of SF.  Unfortunately they had nothing in Cigar, Whiskey, or Ravello in my size.  Was told though, that they have some in size 11 if anyone here is interested.  I need to give a shout-out and thank you to Larry, the SA I spoke with there.  He comp'ed me a jar of tan paste wax after I told him that I missed snagging a pair of whiskey short-wing  oxfords from their website back in December, but that I found it at Alden DC.  He was very friendly.  I also appreciated how well he took care of the shoes on display.  Every shoe looked immaculate.  When I walked in, he was hard at work cleaning and buffing several pairs of shoes.

One interesting make-up (exclusively made for A of SF) I saw was what looked to be a darkish, natural cxl PTB, unlined, on an oiled single leather sole.  Looked just like my tan suede PTBs from JCrew, only nat cxl.

Great to be back!

Larry keeps an awesome shop and genuinely loves shoes. He comp'd me a shine cloth and gave me some tremendous tips on touring SF. I didn't buy any shoes, but they'll be my first call next time I buy Alden. Unless of course BB does a flash sale for 75% off ;-)
post #53050 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post



Bar lacing works on any shoe or boot with eyelets - provided on shoes/boots with odd numbers you go across one time. Some, like Mac, go across at the very bottom (and on diagram). Others, like myself, go across at the very top. Just personal preference.
post #53051 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

Larry keeps an awesome shop and genuinely loves shoes. He comp'd me a shine cloth and gave me some tremendous tips on touring SF. I didn't buy any shoes, but they'll be my first call next time I buy Alden. Unless of course BB does a flash sale for 75% off ;-)

I patronize Alden SF whenever possible. I work with Jim, the manager, and he is very accommodating.
post #53052 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Bar lacing works on any shoe or boot with eyelets - provided on shoes/boots with odd numbers you go across one time. Some, like Mac, go across at the very bottom (and on diagram). Others, like myself, go across at the very top. Just personal preference.

I like the technique that dustruffle describes, where one end of the lace just goes from the bottom eyelet straight to the top eyelet, and the other end does all the crossing over.  Not sure that you can tie the shoe as tight as you can with other methods, but it's the price that one has to pay for being a stickler about no diagonal laces.

post #53053 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I like the technique that dustruffle describes, where one end of the lace just goes from the bottom eyelet straight to the top eyelet, and the other end does all the crossing over.  Not sure that you can tie the shoe as tight as you can with other methods, but it's the price that one has to pay for being a stickler about no diagonal laces.

Typically they cannot be laced as tightly using that method, at least in my experience.

Keep in mind that one cross-over - particularly at the top - is not noticeable whatsoever on numerous models. But again, it all comes down to personal preference.
post #53054 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiglarsen View Post

What is the difference between these and the J. Crew captoe #8 boots besides being available and having all eyelets and no speed hooks? 

Antique trim + no decorative stitching line on the sides.
post #53055 of 87340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I patronize Alden SF whenever possible. I work with Jim, the manager, and he is very accommodating.

nephew,
also, I have had very positive experiences and outstanding services from Jim. in addition very knowledgeable about Alden shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***