or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3393

post #50881 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Hey Guys help me out!  I've found several Alden I need to decide about:

 

993 Saddle in Black Shell Barrie last FD $399

or

97285 Wing Tip-Bal in Whiskey Tremont last $714

 

From what I can tell, the Tremont fits very similar tot he Barrie last.  Is this correct?

 

Both are 13D so I'm not sure about the fit yet.  The 14C I'm wearing today is a Barrie and I can fit my entire finger behind my heel with the shoe on.  I know a pair of 13E LHS Brooks Brothers in shell fit good. So I'm hopeful a 13D Barrie will work.

 

Which one would you get?

 

See Ya,

Steve

For what it's worth, my vote would be for the wingtip.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #50882 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Good point.

 

Believe it or not, there are cobblers out there that know less about shell than most in this thread.

In the grand scheme of things...shell cordovan shoes likely account for 1% or less of the shoes that a cobbler sees for repair or re-crafting.  Based on what I know about high end cowboy boots and how they are lasted, stretching a truly well made boot, regardless of hide will net very little gain.  I've seen brand new boots ruined where the hide indeed split because of a stretching attempt.  If you have a small area that rubs you wrong, or need a small area stretched that's fine to tweak.  However expecting anymore than a small tweak is risky at best IMHO.  I feel this experience holds true in shell cordovan shoes.  Most of the stretch is removed during lasting, otherwise the shoes won't look good long term.  Basically stretch at your own risk!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #50883 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by TactileOne View Post

For what it's worth, my vote would be for the wingtip.

Thanks Guys-I will try and roll that direction.  3 pairs of shells purchased in the last 2 days, plus 3 pairs last month.  Choke!, Gulp!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #50884 of 87382
Just picked up a pair of whiskey LWb's from citishoes. Voltaire was very helpful. He's got a handful left. I can't remember the sizes exactly, but if you're between nine and 11 you might want to give him a call.
post #50885 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwithit View Post

Those look real nice. fing02[1].gif

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before in this thread, but what kind of belt do you wear with those (or with #8 shell in general)?[/quote]

One that is burgundy in color - shell or calf.
post #50886 of 87382


Welcome home.
post #50887 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Hey Guys help me out!  I've found several Alden I need to decide about:

993 Saddle in Black Shell Barrie last FD $399
or
97285 Wing Tip-Bal in Whiskey Tremont last $714

From what I can tell, the Tremont fits very similar tot he Barrie last.  Is this correct?

Both are 13D so I'm not sure about the fit yet.  The 14C I'm wearing today is a Barrie and I can fit my entire finger behind my heel with the shoe on.  I know a pair of 13E LHS Brooks Brothers in shell fit good. So I'm hopeful a 13D Barrie will work.

Which one would you get?

See Ya,
Steve

Al things being equal, I'd go 993. But the fact that the Tremont in 13D might be too small is even further reason for my going with the 993.

Sounds like your 14C's are too big. No?
post #50888 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Good point.

Believe it or not, there are cobblers out there that know less about shell than most in this thread.

This is absolutely true.
post #50889 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwithit View Post

Those look real nice. fing02[1].gif

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before in this thread, but what kind of belt do you wear with those (or with #8 shell in general)?

Thanks! I usually wear a brown CXL belt with these. If im going super casual, I may even wear a natural colored belt, which is a closer match to the edge trim of the boots. I'm not much of a stickler for matching shoe and belt colors exactly. It's one of those things I think most people put way too much thought into.
post #50890 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalceoAdamator View Post

Shell doesn't stretch much from wearing them, but there is some stretch (IMO)... and they certainly stretch if you put a stretcher on them... That seemed to work well for the three pairs of LHS shells I have... 

+1

I have stretched shell, calf, and suede. I have been successful 100% of the time. Most noteably a pair of brand new, first quality, ravello shell PTBs (a few years ago) that had one shoe that fit noticeably tighter than the other. There was no replacement pair in my size so I had to decide to either return them or stretch them (actually, just the one shoe). I gave it a whirl. Perfect.

Use a quality shoe stretcher and first apply a shoe stretching solution (l use the spray).

Just remember that there is no going back once they are stretched so don't get carried away.

NOTE: It is not something I do regularly, but it is something I have done a handful of times - typically just one of the shoes in the pair. I do not buy shoes in the hopes of making them 1 size (or even 1/2 size) bigger. I've always thought of that as ill-advised.
post #50891 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Al things being equal, I'd go 993. But the fact that the Tremont in 13D might be too small is even further reason for my going with the 993.

Sounds like your 14C's are too big. No?

 !4D and 14C are a little big, but with the lace ups it works OK. 13.5 D is perfect with room for my feet to swell some, but also good enough fit to not slide around.  I have a pair of the 987 shell in 13.5 D on the Van last and they fit very well.  I also have a pair of the Brooks Brothers LHS unlined shell in 13 E and they fit fine but no extra room.  It's going to be a close call on some of these.  I don't have any wing tip in Alden Shell.  Will keep ya'll posted.

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #50892 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

 !4D and 14C are a little big, but with the lace ups it works OK. 13.5 D is perfect with room for my feet to swell some, but also good enough fit to not slide around.  I have a pair of the 987 shell in 13.5 D on the Van last and they fit very well.  I also have a pair of the Brooks Brothers LHS unlined shell in 13 E and they fit fine but no extra room.  It's going to be a close call on some of these.  I don't have any wing tip in Alden Shell.  Will keep ya'll posted.

See Ya,
Steve

If 13.5D in Barrie is perfect, I can comfortably predict a 13D in Tremont will be too small, but others may disagree. Good luck.
post #50893 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypomnema View Post



Welcome home.

amazing looking shoes, well done! let's see some maiden voyage pics...

i love whiskey LWB, but part of me always gravitates towards "sleeker" shoes in whiskey. I have the cap toe balmorals from alden NY and now some saddle shell double monks from carmina, and i feel like the next one would be LHS or maybe LWB.
post #50894 of 87382
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post

First day out with my #8 4060's.   Out of most of Aldens boots, this is one of my favorites.

This my second pair of Alden shells.  I can now say I fully understand how people get a big chubby over shell.  I am trying to ward shell sickness. 



wear in good health
post #50895 of 87382
Thanks for the responses re: belt colors.

Is it silly to try a pair of chukkas on the barrie last in 11D if I'm a 12 on a brannock device?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***