Really nice pair. Sizing wise, how does the Grant compare with the Barrie? You got me thinking here.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3392
Styleforum Top Picks
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
go for it!
The #8 with the light edge trim is one of my favorite looks. These are beauts. I'm going to have to try to grab these if they ever come back around.
Thanks! I usually wear a brown CXL belt with these. If im going super casual, I may even wear a natural colored belt, which is a closer match to the edge trim of the boots. I'm not much of a stickler for matching shoe and belt colors exactly. It's one of those things I think most people put way too much thought into.
I agree; I'm not into too much matchy matchy. I have a natural leather Tanner belt that I wear with pretty much everything except for black.
Hey Guys help me out! I've found several Alden I need to decide about:
993 Saddle in Black Shell Barrie last FD $399
97285 Wing Tip-Bal in Whiskey Tremont last $714
From what I can tell, the Tremont fits very similar tot he Barrie last. Is this correct?
Both are 13D so I'm not sure about the fit yet. The 14C I'm wearing today is a Barrie and I can fit my entire finger behind my heel with the shoe on. I know a pair of 13E LHS Brooks Brothers in shell fit good. So I'm hopeful a 13D Barrie will work.
Which one would you get?
If 13D Barrie fits well, the Tremont last 13D should work. If the size is right, I would go with the whiskey wt bal!! Great shoe
In the grand scheme of things...shell cordovan shoes likely account for 1% or less of the shoes that a cobbler sees for repair or re-crafting. Based on what I know about high end cowboy boots and how they are lasted, stretching a truly well made boot, regardless of hide will net very little gain. I've seen brand new boots ruined where the hide indeed split because of a stretching attempt. If you have a small area that rubs you wrong, or need a small area stretched that's fine to tweak. However expecting anymore than a small tweak is risky at best IMHO. I feel this experience holds true in shell cordovan shoes. Most of the stretch is removed during lasting, otherwise the shoes won't look good long term. Basically stretch at your own risk!
Good points, Steve. My experience exactly.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 16 seconds ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 35 seconds ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Newc's Bespoke Adventure. 3 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 17 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 19 minutes ago
- › ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central 20 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 22 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015