or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3357

post #50341 of 94706

let's not forgot the reason why many of us became Alden fans, or became aware of Alden in the first place, is because Harrison Ford wore them in the Indiana Jones movies. this was entirely his choice, Alden did not pay the production company or some professional dresser or stylist for that. 

 

it was because Ford swore by them for all day comfort and durability as well as style (he's an actor too) , etc., when he was working as a carpenter. 

 

and now they are known as  "Indy Boots", which i sorta hate because they were in production for decades before the movies and known as the "Alden Work Boot 405". 

 

 

936full-indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-photo.jpg


Edited by mediahound - 5/9/13 at 9:28am
post #50342 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

I'm not missing any point, I don't think.  Maybe you missed my post further up, where I completely agree with your stance.  I prefaced the second post with "in a similar vein," because I think it is in the same realm of sillyness to assume that a celebrity wearing something is in any way making it cool, or even that they are endorsing of the item.  Often they are just mannequins or real-life dolls for someone who gets paid alot of money to clothe them.   

I was being jestful.  Your point was spot-on.

post #50343 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I was being jestful.  Your point was spot-on.

 

cheers.gif

post #50344 of 94706
I wear aldens because a few years ago I googled "alden shoes" and uncle mac's pictures looked awesome. I'm not kidding, that's how I got hooked.
post #50345 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

I wear aldens because a few years ago I googled "alden shoes" and uncle mac's pictures looked awesome. I'm not kidding, that's how I got hooked.

My first pair was the Black Unlined LHS from BB, which is how I discovered them.

 

I suspect many other recent fans became aware of Alden via J Crew.

 

I didn't know why it was called the Indy boot until I stumbled across this thread one day during a google search.

 

All but 1 pair of my Aldens are shell, which is essentially what I like them for.  I have 1 pair in Mocha Kid Suede that I bought from BB, but mostly because I like style of the tassel moc, not because they are made by Alden.

 

For non-shell make-ups, I usually look to other brands.  I'm not one of those folks that buys clothes simply for the label.

post #50346 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

let's not forgot the reason why many of us became Alden fans, or became aware of Alden in the first place, is because Harrison Ford wore them in the Indiana Jones movies. this was entirely his choice, Alden did not pay the production company or some professional dresser or stylist for that. 

 

it was because Ford swore by them for all day comfort and durability as well as style (he's an actor too) , etc., when he was working as a carpenter. 

 

and now they are known as  "Indy Boots", which i sorta hate because they were in production for decades before the movies and known as the "Alden Work Boot 405". 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

I wear aldens because a few years ago I googled "alden shoes" and uncle mac's pictures looked awesome. I'm not kidding, that's how I got hooked.

 

 

MH, what makes you think that Indiana Jones is the reason that many of us are Alden fans?  I certainly wouldn't think that Indiana Jones is the reason that anyone really became aware of Alden in the first place.  It was a cool story to hear about Harrison Ford's dedication to his boots after I became aware of Alden, but I can't say I was watching one of those movies and thought to myself "hmm, I like those boots, I wonder who makes them?"  I was too busy watching the faces melt off of the Nazi's to care about his dirty boots that are actually pretty hard to notice unless you really try.  They look pretty non-descript being covered down to the ankles by his pants and the rest of them being shrouded in a thick layer of sand colored dust. 

post #50347 of 94706

When I see this pic, the Indiana Jones theme music starts playing in my head.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #50348 of 94706

My first attempt at pictures here, and I'm not that great of a phographer. These are my newsest Aldens, they were bought slightly used.  First was pre any attention

 Second after minor attention.

post #50349 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

#8 plaza boots


would love to see a group shot of your alden family. Have become increasingly convinced you have one of the best collections among us!


+1

post #50350 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

let's not forgot the reason why many of us became Alden fans, or became aware of Alden in the first place, is because Harrison Ford wore them in the Indiana Jones movies. this was entirely his choice, Alden did not pay the production company or some professional dresser or stylist for that. 

 

it was because Ford swore by them for all day comfort and durability as well as style (he's an actor too) , etc., when he was working as a carpenter. 

 

and now they are known as  "Indy Boots", which i sorta hate because they were in production for decades before the movies and known as the "Alden Work Boot 405". 

 

 

936full-indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-photo.jpg

You're making it hard to defend you MH.  I suppose then you were not being facetious with the Beckham and DiCaprio posts.  Oh well...

post #50351 of 94706
my second pair of ravello lwb on my way to me soon icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #50352 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post


I didn't think it had anything specifically to do with Beckham. Rather, it was a really rich guy, for whom money is no object, who chooses to wear Adlen.

 

yep, we already know Aldens are great. that a celebrity (who can likely afford any shoe available) also chooses Alden is just plain cool to see. 

 

another one, the guy from LOST and Hawaii Five-0 bought some Aldens from Leather Sole last year:

 

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/01/09/daniel-dae-kim/

post #50353 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

I wear aldens because a few years ago I googled "alden shoes" and uncle mac's pictures looked awesome. I'm not kidding, that's how I got hooked.

My first pair was the Black Unlined LHS from BB, which is how I discovered them.

 

I suspect many other recent fans became aware of Alden via J Crew.

 

I didn't know why it was called the Indy boot until I stumbled across this thread one day during a google search.

 

All but 1 pair of my Aldens are shell, which is essentially what I like them for.  I have 1 pair in Mocha Kid Suede that I bought from BB, but mostly because I like style of the tassel moc, not because they are made by Alden.

 

For non-shell make-ups, I usually look to other brands.  I'm not one of those folks that buys clothes simply for the label.


I discovered Alden through J Crew.  The Tobacco waxed LWB drew my attention first.  I too was blown away when I first saw pics of Mac's shells.  Two years later, here I am obsessed and addicted!  Harrison Ford, Beckham, etc... have nothing to do with it.  However, I am a little curious as to who else enjoys them.

post #50354 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

You're making it hard to defend you MH.  I suppose then you were not being facetious with the Beckham and DiCaprio posts.  Oh well...

a lot of people see a certain article of clothing or shoes on a celebrity they like the look of and buy that same thing.

 

we can get inspiration from different places, and someone famous can certainly be one of them. i really don't think there is anything wrong with it. 

 

this is what magazines and catalogs are all about. you see something cool on a celebrity or model and say to yourself, 'that's cool, i could be just like them if i buy that'.   this is really nothing new. 

post #50355 of 94706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

 


Sorry if my post was not well received.  It was not my intention to offend anyone.  Perhaps sometimes I fail to detect the facetiousness of MH posts, which is my own fault.

 

That must have been the case when I read the above post where he suggests that PTBs are in fact cool because Leonardo DiCaprio wears them.

 

His facetious sense of humor really seems to comes out in posts where he points out that a celebrity is wearing a certain style of shoe that he himself has recently acquired.  I will be sure to remain conscious of this tendency so that I do not misinterpret it again in the future.

 

Cheers, Gentlemen

 

cheers.gif

Yea I had to chuckle when I saw this post with DiCaprio. My first thought was....wait who said DiCaprio was cool? Just because people are famous doesn't mean they are cool. I personally could care less what celebrity wears alden, I'd prefer that none of them did as they are already popular enough (the shoes) as it is. More spotlight isn't going to help the "alden fan" in any way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***