or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3345

post #50161 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post
 I'd also love to see a chart sketching out changes in width and length as one traverses the various sizes (I know the issue of whether there is a uniformly graduated increase in length and width as size increases was discussed, but I can't recall what conclusion was drawn).

 

According to 'Resistant' and the sources that he has drawn upon:

 

"A last has a certain determined starting size and every E is 3/16 of width EE is a 3/8ths of an inch difference."

 

...Sounds convincing enough to me.

 

 

(conclusion: the unit of measurement difference between widths is constant along the sizing spectrum. (e.g. 7E is 3/16" wider than 7D.  12EE is 3/16" wider than 12E, ect.))

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #50162 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post


Not sure what your point of posting my video is. I buy and sell all the time. that one was months ago and those boots are long gone. Even many of the Aldens I did videos on I no longer own.
post #50163 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

I should have went TTS on the leydon chukkas I bought, but hoped .5 down would miraculously work.. 

sold them on here a week later. shame cause I got a great deal on them censored.gif

Leydon last is usually either tts or size down a half but with one width wider, depending in your feet.
post #50164 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

 

According to 'Resistant' and the sources that he has drawn upon:

 

"A last has a certain determined starting size and every E is 3/16 of width EE is a 3/8ths of an inch difference."

 

...Sounds convincing enough to me.

 

 

(conclusion: the unit of measurement difference between widths is constant along the sizing spectrum. (e.g. 7E is 3/16" wider than 7D.  12EE is 3/16" wider than 12E, ect.))

Hi Bakes,

 

Thank you for so quickly providing clarity on yet another issue my overcrowded memory failed on. You always prove to be a deep, nuanced source of Alden info and have helped me with style and fit choices time and again.

 

Humbly,

shog[1].gif

post #50165 of 87921
Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

Hi Bakes,

 

Thank you for so quickly providing clarity on yet another issue my overcrowded memory failed on. You always prove to be a deep, nuanced source of Alden info and have helped me with style and fit choices time and again.

 

Humbly,

shog%5B1%5D.gif

 

Very kind of you to say, Sir.  I am always glad to be of assistance.  However, I am just an ordinary man.  Please don't feel that it is necessary to humble yourself before me.

 

Congrats on the closing!

post #50166 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

I agree here. Unless you have quite a bit of expendable income, the random suede varietals can be had for less than a quarter of Aldens. I just got some blue suede with red brick soles from Lands End at 40% off, they are goodyear welted, I will wear them probably fewer than 10 times/year, and 99.9% of the populous will deem them as "nice" - even though they are not nice compared to the Aldens.

Plus, bucks should be beaten to hell. They begin looking excellent when they are dirty - hence the name, right ? (I'm just assuming here)

All Aldens are goodyear welted, no?

Their called bucks because that style of shoe was originally made from deer skin.

I don't believe any Aldens are not Goodyear welted. Not sure though.
post #50167 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

 

Very kind of you to say, Sir.  I am always glad to be of assistance.  However, I am just an ordinary man.  Please don't feel that it is necessary to humble yourself before me.

 

Congrats on the closing!

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated fistbump.gif

post #50168 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post



I don't believe any Aldens are not Goodyear welted. Not sure though.

The cape cod collection

post #50169 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

Garsag, I'm so sorry to hear you're having this struggling in your maiden voyage with Alden shoes. I hope you don't come away from the experience traumatized and Alden-less. As the length of this thread can demonstrate, Alden makes truly high quality, durable and interesting shoes. I've only been reading this thread since late Jan/early Feb and have succumbed 13 times to the Alden fever and have had major fun doing so (marital issues notwithstanding).

 

If necessary, you should be able to sell them on SF; the Leydon chukkas have been mentioned at least several times here just this past week. They are truly a fun, versatile shoe. IIRC, LeatherSoul recently cited them as their favorite casual Alden.

 

Regarding sizing issues, I was advised by Voltaire at Citishoes to go TTS plus an extra width (Barrie lasted 8.5D --> Leydon last 9E). I have, however, received slightly divergent advice from another reputable source, Kathy at Alden of Washington DC. She had advised me to go TTS without the extra width, noting that the chukkas would stretch ever so slightly (given the shank/soles relaxing and the slight give one gets from suede or calfskin). Obviously, YMMV. Perhaps it's best to go to the closest Alden retailer and start with the Brannock device. It's also helpful at the outset to consider which retailers are willing to work with you on free shipping both ways. I've had this experience with Alden of DC, Epaulet & JCrew. 

 

Thanks a lot for the reply. My problem is however not in the sizing as I see it. The shoes fit quite good on the "foot" part, it's just my ankle that got weary - I don't think sizing up or down would solve this issue without making the size be a little off on the foot. I went TTS btw.

I will give the shoes a new chance tomorrow - then with slightly thicker socks and blister cushions to see if I can break them in a bit. I bought the shoes in-store at Leffot, so I will probably contact them if I find no immediate solution!
 

post #50170 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorbiant View Post

These boots got a lot of hate in this thread last year.


I got my hands on a pair. Not sure if I should keep them or not though.


On one hand, I could really use the college money.
On the other hand, no other shoe I've owned has foot as good as this one. 

Advice, uncles? 



I got them last year when they were first out. They're awesome. Incredibly comfortably all day. Look great with jeans. The grain is unique. You get used to the unusual soles. If you care about this kind if thing, I've gotten multiple unsolicited compliments. Keep them unless you want to use the money on another boot you like better.
Edited by Mr. Six - 5/6/13 at 10:57pm
post #50171 of 87921

The 405 nonCXL indy boots that fitted me best were quite difficult to get onto me feet, but a great fit when they were on.  Is this normal?

Should this be the case with Cordovan Indys?  Would they soften up and get easier to put on?

 

I am assuming that the cordovan Indy's and the CXL/nonXL indus would all size the same?

post #50172 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

I should have went TTS on the leydon chukkas I bought, but hoped .5 down would miraculously work.. 

sold them on here a week later. shame cause I got a great deal on them censored.gif

In my experience, going up one width or going up 1/2 size (and staying same width) is the best formula for Leydon. Sizing down 1/2 size would be unbearable for me.
post #50173 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by garsag View Post

Thanks a lot for the reply. My problem is however not in the sizing as I see it. The shoes fit quite good on the "foot" part, it's just my ankle that got weary - I don't think sizing up or down would solve this issue without making the size be a little off on the foot. I went TTS btw.
I will give the shoes a new chance tomorrow - then with slightly thicker socks and blister cushions to see if I can break them in a bit. I bought the shoes in-store at Leffot, so I will probably contact them if I find no immediate solution!

 
Same thing happened to me when I got mine. Took me a few days to realize I was lacing them up as tightly as I would my Barrie shell chukkas. Not necessary for the leydon suede chukkas. Just tie them as loosely as you can and you'll likely see that ankle friction go away soon enough.
post #50174 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

i dislike white soles and red wings in general but i sorta have the same question about these aldens with red brick sole. they are on the way, should i keep 'em? 

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~39363/99102911079/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~0~90~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~alden/39363.jsp


39363_EC0327_d4?$pdp_fs418$

As usual with J Crew, the problem with this model is that it is lined. Outside of a few exceptions (lomgwings, Indy boots), I think Alden suede is better unlined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

I agree here. Unless you have quite a bit of expendable income, the random suede varietals can be had for less than a quarter of Aldens. I just got some blue suede with red brick soles from Lands End at 40% off, they are goodyear welted, I will wear them probably fewer than 10 times/year, and 99.9% of the populous will deem them as "nice" - even though they are not nice compared to the Aldens.

Plus, bucks should be beaten to hell. They begin looking excellent when they are dirty - hence the name, right ? (I'm just assuming here)

All Aldens are goodyear welted, no?


I can't agree with the first part of this... Alden suede shoes last long and look better longer than most other versions. I get as much wear out of some of my suede (tan PTBs, navy chukkas) as I do some cordovan models (like the cigar captoe boots) due to seasonality. The suede feels better season after season while other suede feels worse on the foot after a season or so (I'm looking at you, Clarks). I've said many times that if I could have only five Alden's, one would be suede (and one would be CXL as well).
post #50175 of 87921
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusttruffle View Post

The 405 nonCXL indy boots that fitted me best were quite difficult to get onto me feet, but a great fit when they were on.  Is this normal?
Should this be the case with Cordovan Indys?  Would they soften up and get easier to put on?

I am assuming that the cordovan Indy's and the CXL/nonXL indus would all size the same?

So did you unlace them?
I'm trying to imagine any way in which a lace up pair of boots would be difficult to get on your foot if you loosen the laces.
This isn't rocket science.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***