or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3318

post #49756 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

You are not brushing with a brush that you've used to polish darker shoes with are you? The polish residue on brushes will cross over to lighter shoes when you brush.

I use three brushes -
1) One brush for black and color 8
2) One brush for medium browns
3) One brush for light browns (ravello/whiskey)
post #49757 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

hpreston - those chocolate suedes are awesome...when did LS offer those?

Thanks!

They were available about a year ago, I believe I picked them up in early March, 2012.

Alden DC has a similar shoe, not sure of the last, but it is a choc suede short wing Balmoral.

I believe Alden Madison Ave has a similar shoe as well in choc suede with captoe, but for some reason their site is blocked from work...
Edited by hpreston - 5/1/13 at 10:24am
post #49758 of 98834
Purchased the blue suede LWB's from Leffot back in January. With the weather finally cooperating in New York, pulled them out for a coat of protector before hitting the streets. Unfortunately, noticed that the eyelets on the left shoe are uneven. Probably should have inspected more closely but very difficult to notice unlaced. Obviously, no bearing on function or durability and not likely to be noticed by others (except forum members) but is likely to irritate me. No chance of an exchange but could this be repaired by Alden? Would they even do it?


post #49759 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

Yes, the #4 boots are more red for sure. I'll snap some side by side shots this afternoon.

My color 4's are more red too. Noticeably more. I have maintained that - for those who have never seen 4 in person - they may not actually like it as well as they think they would given the amount of red tones that come through. On the whole, I prefer ravello to 4, but, obviously, they are both nice colors. Ravello can have some red tones too, but, depending on the batch, can be, IMO, a very nice medium brown. My ravello PTBs have almost no red in them, but I have other ravello models that do have some red (but not nearly the levels of red in 4). Variety is nice.

BTW, nice boots. Both pairs.
post #49760 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Thank you for the link and knowledge

You are welcome. fistbump.gif
post #49761 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpreston View Post

Thanks!

They were available about a year ago, I believe I picked them up in early March, 2012.

Alden DC has a similar shoe, not sure of the last, but it is a choc suede short wing Balmoral.


I beleive Alden Madison Ave has a similar shoe as well in choc suede with captoe, but for some reason their site is blocked from work...

Perhaps this one: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-wing-tip-bal-hampton-last-brown-suede/pvc-ald-mxsdlw-904_ald_m_wing_tip_bal_hampton_last.html
post #49762 of 98834
AppleMark

AldenxEpaulet Natural CXL LWB
post #49763 of 98834

Yes, that is it! Great looking shoe.
post #49764 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post


You are not brushing with a brush that you've used to polish darker shoes with are you? The polish residue on brushes will cross over to lighter shoes when you brush.

 

Thank you very much for the tip. I am indeed using separate brushes. I use 1 for color #8, one for browns and one for lighter colors. However, I do think it is an interesting topic to if polish residue will transfer on brushes. My understanding is that the primary purpose of the brush is to remove any excess residue, dirt, etc so why then would it add residue back to a finish?

post #49765 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Thank you very much for the tip. I am indeed using separate brushes. I use 1 for color #8, one for browns and one for lighter colors. However, I do think it is an interesting topic to if polish residue will transfer on brushes. My understanding is that the primary purpose of the brush is to remove any excess residue, dirt, etc so why then would it add residue back to a finish?
Polish will absolutly transfer to brushes . Try this take a white cotton cloth lay it out on a table and brush it with a shoe brush .
It has been my experence however that ravello and whisky naturally darken with age .This could well be what you are seeing. I am of the school of thought that given time and exposure all shell will eventually reach pretty much the same shade of medium brown as long as tints are not introduced
post #49766 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Thank you very much for the tip. I am indeed using separate brushes. I use 1 for color #8, one for browns and one for lighter colors. However, I do think it is an interesting topic to if polish residue will transfer on brushes. My understanding is that the primary purpose of the brush is to remove any excess residue, dirt, etc so why then would it add residue back to a finish?
Polish will absolutly transfer to brushes . Try this take a white cotton cloth lay it out on a table and brush it with a shoe brush .
It has been my experence however that ravello and whisky naturally darken with age .This could well be what you are seeing. I am of the school of thought that given time and exposure all shell will eventually reach pretty much the same shade of medium brown as long as tints are not introduced

sorry double post
post #49767 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbc0919 View Post

Purchased the blue suede LWB's from Leffot back in January. With the weather finally cooperating in New York, pulled them out for a coat of protector before hitting the streets. Unfortunately, noticed that the eyelets on the left shoe are uneven. Probably should have inspected more closely but very difficult to notice unlaced. Obviously, no bearing on function or durability and not likely to be noticed by others (except forum members) but is likely to irritate me. No chance of an exchange but could this be repaired by Alden? Would they even do it?



I'd think long and hard before sending it to Alden for "repair". Some of the jobs they've done in the past have made the shoe look worse.imo.

I have a pair or two that look like that too.
post #49768 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpreston View Post

Thanks!

They were available about a year ago, I believe I picked them up in early March, 2012.

Alden DC has a similar shoe, not sure of the last, but it is a choc suede short wing Balmoral.

I believe Alden Madison Ave has a similar shoe as well in choc suede with captoe, but for some reason their site is blocked from work...

Thanks for the info! I really like the version you posted with the Plaza last and the lighter brown trim. I like the brogue captoe better than the wingtip in this specific model, so the TSM model isn't really my cup of tea. I'll see if I can find the one from Alden NYC
post #49769 of 98834
post #49770 of 98834
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


Outstanding sir!

Thank you...   did that parcel arrive?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***