or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3258

post #48856 of 87508
was in j. gilbert the other day and Yenni mentioned the shell shortage, including #8

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #48857 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post

Damn those Atom Bluchers are amazing icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


+100 (in reference to MrDV's #4 atom bluchers)

post #48858 of 87508

 

Color 8 Grant Caps today

 

I've missed being on this thread lately. Hope everyone is doing well. Nice to see Mac's stunning pics again. Regards, -D

post #48859 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

was in j. gilbert the other day and Yenni mentioned the shell shortage, including #8

 

Interesting. Several months ago it was only special shell like whiskey/ravello that there was no production on in sight. But currently, it seems like all shell may be in short supply. I can attest to that when I was recently searching for a 975 in a smaller size, I could not find one in stock except at the Alden SF store (I bet Alden gives them priority). 

post #48860 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

was in j. gilbert the other day and Yenni mentioned the shell shortage, including #8

I may be wrong or missing something important, but I'm going to say it again: scarcity of Alden shell is a function of Alden being in demand beyond Alden's capacity to produce. You can go to several other makers, all sourcing shell from Horween, and get something immediately or MTO within a month or so and in an array of shell colors.
post #48861 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post


I may be wrong or missing something important, but I'm going to say it again: scarcity of Alden shell is a function of Alden being in demand beyond Alden's capacity to produce. You can go to several other makers, all sourcing shell from Horween, and get something immediately or MTO within a month or so and in an array of shell colors.

 

I am not so sure that this is true.  I recently contacted Mitchell Leather about a wallet in shell cordovan (any color besides black) and Dave mentioned that not only did he not have any, but he didn't know when he would receive more. 

 

This is obviously one data point and he could be allocating what he does get from them to their briefcases, but I think Horween Shell Cordovan is in tight supply also.

post #48862 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

 

I am not so sure that this is true.  I recently contacted Mitchell Leather about a wallet in shell cordovan (any color besides black) and Dave mentioned that not only did he not have any, but he didn't know when he would receive more. 

 

This is obviously one data point and he could be allocating what he does get from them to their briefcases, but I think Horween Shell Cordovan is in tight supply also.

 

Also, who was it (I think Oak Street Bootmakers?) that recently had to stop selling any shell cordovan shoes due to lack of being able to get any.

post #48863 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

 

Color 8 Grant Caps today

 

I've missed being on this thread lately. Hope everyone is doing well. Nice to see Mac's stunning pics again. Regards, -D


Nice to hear from you again Doc... looking good in your color 8 boots!

post #48864 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


Nice to hear from you again Doc... looking good in your color 8 boots!

Thanks RTP! Appreciate your posts as I'm catching up on my Alden reading :)

post #48865 of 87508
Fair enough with those two examples, though they also might have made a business decision that the volume they could do in the shell they could get wasn't worth it. Shell is clearly not in abundant supply compared to other leathers and probably never has been.

And Rancourt, Carmina, Vass, and DaLuca (watch straps and wallets), all seem to have ready enough access to Horween shell to meet their demand. These are just what I'm familiar with. As I mentioned, their overall volume is likely much lower than Aldens, and my point may go out the window when these makers announce they are experiencing a shortage, but I'll stand pat for now. If I turn out to be wrong, you can all throw it in my face while I surround myself with the beautiful shell cordovan I'm hording...

smile.gif
post #48866 of 87508
alden_ebay.JPG 538k .JPG file

 

 

 

this is a great forum and this is my first posting.

 

I just bought Alden on ebay and I am not satisfied.

the shoes looked o.k., when unpacking, but after a couple of hours wear, some crincles got lighter than the original bordeaux color.

after one full day, the leather showed white stuff coming off, if I would have been in dust somewhere, even I was in the office on carpet (see the picture).

I brushed the shoes and left them sitting for a day but after wearing them another day, same thing.

what could be wrong with the leather?

any recomendations what I can do?

 

does Alden offer to refurb these shoes for me?

 

thank you 

michigan66

post #48867 of 87508
I talked to Ed with Theshoemart...he claims he went to Horween himself and they simply have no cordovan hides on the shelf. In addition, Ed claims Alden has no hides either. I think the demand for shell cordovan has exceeded the supply. I know Ed's not a happy camper because he can't sell what he does not have.

See Ya,
Steve
post #48868 of 87508

It's really too bad horse meat is not eaten much in the USA any more. As someone posted a few weeks ago, it's healthier than beef and tastes better. And, there would be more horse hides available too. 

post #48869 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan66 View Post

alden_ebay.JPG 538k .JPG file

 

 

 

this is a great forum and this is my first posting.

 

I just bought Alden on ebay and I am not satisfied.

the shoes looked o.k., when unpacking, but after a couple of hours wear, some crincles got lighter than the original bordeaux color.

after one full day, the leather showed white stuff coming off, if I would have been in dust somewhere, even I was in the office on carpet (see the picture).

I brushed the shoes and left them sitting for a day but after wearing them another day, same thing.

what could be wrong with the leather?

any recomendations what I can do?

 

does Alden offer to refurb these shoes for me?

 

thank you 

michigan66

 

Were these new or used? Shell cordovan? If new shell, that may be normal waxes coming to the surface as you wear them. A light buffing with a slightly damp soft cloth followed by a brushing with a horse hair brush (after waiting several minutes for them to be dry), followed by a buff with a dry cloth should help a lot. 

 

And welcome to the forum. 

post #48870 of 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan66 View Post

alden_ebay.JPG 538k .JPG file

 

 

 

this is a great forum and this is my first posting.

 

I just bought Alden on ebay and I am not satisfied.

the shoes looked o.k., when unpacking, but after a couple of hours wear, some crincles got lighter than the original bordeaux color.

after one full day, the leather showed white stuff coming off, if I would have been in dust somewhere, even I was in the office on carpet (see the picture).

I brushed the shoes and left them sitting for a day but after wearing them another day, same thing.

what could be wrong with the leather?

any recomendations what I can do?

 

does Alden offer to refurb these shoes for me?

 

thank you 

michigan66

This sounds normal, although I have never seen it to the degree shown in your picture.  Were they bought from Ebay new?

 

The white stuff is natural oils and wax from the leather.  Wipe it off with a damp paper towel.  The discoloration of the creases is normal with new shell.  Get some Saphir Renovateur or Venetian shoe cream and rub some on the crease, then brush rigorously with a horse hair brush and the color will even out as if it were never there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***