or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3251

post #48751 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
SFTG clued me in that AE Chili is the best match for antique.  Again, yours look swell, just mentioning it for others.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of AE Suede spray?  Just used some of it and it seemed to dry rather quickly.  Last year I used some protectant that I had left over in my basement.  It was in a squirt bottle, not aerosol, and it really seemed to saturate the shoes and took hours to dry.  When they did dry, the nap was very stiff, reassuring me that there was a nice layer of protectant on the shoe.  After I brushed them, the nap was as it was previous to treatment.  I think it was a Timberland product that I used last year.

Just wondering if anyone has any good stories about how they treated their suede with AE Suede Protectant, and then water beaded right off.  Or they spilled something on their shoes, but it didn't stain due to the protectant.

Also, the stuff needs to be reapplied periodically, correct?  Its not like you treat when new and they are protected forever, isn't that so?  How often you treat them would depend on how frequently you wear the shoes and how wet they get?  Like ~6weeks for heavy wear, 3 months for occasional wear, once a year for rarely worn shoes?  Does that sound about right?

TIA

AE suede spray is the only suede protector I've used, and I've been pleased overall. It does seem to dry fairly quickly, though I make only a pass or two from about a foot away. My shoes have experienced light rain and snow, and the water does seem to bead and not affect the suede. I haven't followed a strict schedule for reapplying, but what you said sounds about right -- perhaps not even that often.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #48752 of 79266

cigar nst
argyles otc
post #48753 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

SFTG clued me in that AE Chili is the best match for antique.  Again, yours look swell, just mentioning it for others.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of AE Suede spray?  Just used some of it and it seemed to dry rather quickly.  Last year I used some protectant that I had left over in my basement.  It was in a squirt bottle, not aerosol, and it really seemed to saturate the shoes and took hours to dry.  When they did dry, the nap was very stiff, reassuring me that there was a nice layer of protectant on the shoe.  After I brushed them, the nap was as it was previous to treatment.  I think it was a Timberland product that I used last year.

Just wondering if anyone has any good stories about how they treated their suede with AE Suede Protectant, and then water beaded right off.  Or they spilled something on their shoes, but it didn't stain due to the protectant.

Also, the stuff needs to be reapplied periodically, correct?  Its not like you treat when new and they are protected forever, isn't that so?  How often you treat them would depend on how frequently you wear the shoes and how wet they get?  Like ~6weeks for heavy wear, 3 months for occasional wear, once a year for rarely worn shoes?  Does that sound about right?

TIA

I just used the AE spray on the suede shoes I posted. In the first hour I managed to spill water on them, which rolled right off, and dropped an olive on one, which left a small stain. One for two isn't bad, and I don (edit: don't) expect any product to protect against oil.

Mine dried quickly as well. Next time I'll cover the sole edges when spraying as some of the color was lost in the process. Has anyone treated their flex soles with edge dressing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to grab a whiskey plain toe (inspired by MrDV's good looking pair) and a ravello boot. After I took the picture I got these unlined tan suedes in from the Shoe Mart. First time wearing them and they are super comfortable. Excuse the ratty coffee shop floor.

wear in good health

Thank you.
post #48754 of 79266
Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%2011%2025%2014%20AM.jpg

Double maiden voyage!
Whiskey LWB & HY blue nailhead trousers smile.gif
post #48755 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


cigar nst
argyles otc

Wonderful NST's Uncle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

SFTG clued me in that AE Chili is the best match for antique.  Again, yours look swell, just mentioning it for others.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of AE Suede spray?  Just used some of it and it seemed to dry rather quickly.  Last year I used some protectant that I had left over in my basement.  It was in a squirt bottle, not aerosol, and it really seemed to saturate the shoes and took hours to dry.  When they did dry, the nap was very stiff, reassuring me that there was a nice layer of protectant on the shoe.  After I brushed them, the nap was as it was previous to treatment.  I think it was a Timberland product that I used last year.

Just wondering if anyone has any good stories about how they treated their suede with AE Suede Protectant, and then water beaded right off.  Or they spilled something on their shoes, but it didn't stain due to the protectant.

Also, the stuff needs to be reapplied periodically, correct?  Its not like you treat when new and they are protected forever, isn't that so?  How often you treat them would depend on how frequently you wear the shoes and how wet they get?  Like ~6weeks for heavy wear, 3 months for occasional wear, once a year for rarely worn shoes?  Does that sound about right?

TIA

I just started using it on a new pair of BB White Bucks. Still too early to say, but they seem easier to brush clean.
post #48756 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%2011%2025%2014%20AM.jpg

Double maiden voyage!
Whiskey LWB & HY blue nailhead trousers smile.gif

Gorgeous, congratulations on both. Mind sharing where you got the shoes?

post #48757 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%2011%2025%2014%20AM.jpg

Double maiden voyage!
Whiskey LWB & HY blue nailhead trousers smile.gif

nephew,
looking good in your whiskey gunboat
wear in good health
post #48758 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Wonderful NST's Uncle!!

nephew,
thank you
post #48759 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Photo%20Apr%2017%2C%2011%2025%2014%20AM.jpg


Double maiden voyage!

Whiskey LWB
Gorgeous, congratulations on both. Mind sharing where you got the shoes?

Indeed. Whiskey LWBs seem to be all gone.

I have some coming lightly worn indoors only from another SF member and I hope they look as good as these!
post #48760 of 79266

Got in the 9901 today:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Black shell often doesn't get the respect it deserves. I feel like I can wear this shoe casually as I'm doing today, or formally, with a suit, equally well. 

 

For those wondering, I ended up returning the Black Shell J Crew Cadets and got these instead. Even though it's the same last (Barrie), without a fancy cap toe and with the standard 5 eyelets, these appear a bit sleeker. 

 

And for those who don't think a Black PTB is cool, see Leonardo DiCaprio wearing some (I think AE's):

 


Edited by mediahound - 4/17/13 at 1:18pm
post #48761 of 79266
Is there any sizing consensus on shell grant lasted loafers versus the LHS? Go up 1 size in width?
post #48762 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

Got in the 9901 today:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Black shell often doesn't get the respect it deserves. I feel like I can wear this shoe casually as I'm doing today, or formally, with a suit, equally well. 

For those wondering, I ended up returning the Black Shell J Crew Cadets and got these instead. Even though it's the same last (Barrie), without a fancy cap toe and with the standard 5 eyelets, these appear a bit sleeker. 

These look very nice indeed.
post #48763 of 79266
So what's the consensus on the J.Crew Waxed LWB. Are these CXL or not? I know the J.Crew website says they are CXL, but I've seen several posts in this thread referring to them as "faux CXL."

I just received a pair of used J.Crew LWB's today via ebay. The leather is very soft but doesn't have quite the same "oily" feel as my CXL LWB's from Leffot. I'm wondering if that's just because these J.Crew's are more heavily used or if it's because they aren't really CXL.

Anyways, here's a pic:
post #48764 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutombo View Post

So what's the consensus on the J.Crew Waxed LWB. Are these CXL or not? I know the J.Crew website says they are CXL, but I've seen several posts in this thread referring to them as "faux CXL."

I just received a pair of used J.Crew LWB's today via ebay. The leather is very soft but doesn't have quite the same "oily" feel as my CXL LWB's from Leffot. I'm wondering if that's just because these J.Crew's are more heavily used or if it's because they aren't really CXL.

Anyways, here's a pic:

 

Chromexecel is a 'pull-up' leather, meaning if you push on it from the inside, you should see it lighten. I would give it a try with your  LWBs, to see if the color changes. If no, it's 'normal' leather and not CXL.

post #48765 of 79266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

Chromexecel is a 'pull-up' leather, meaning if you push on it from the inside, you should see it lighten. I would give it a try with your  LWBs, to see if the color changes. If no, it's 'normal' leather and not CXL.

Interesting. The color change is easily apparent on my dark brown CXL Leffots. With the J.Crews, I see a very slight change but it's hard to tell if it's the leather changing color or just the light reflecting off the leather differently. The leather is a very light brown color so it's harder to notice a change.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***