or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3221

post #48301 of 90153
I would go with the tan suede LWB from Leffot if you want a truly summer suede

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #48302 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

I prefer the SWB over PTB. I'd rather have a suede chukka than a PTB, and they look too similar to justify having both.

And I just got a nice surprise package today...my tan suede chukkas from NRO just arrived. Excellent customer service over the last 2 months (not so much during the first 6 months) while I waited for my size to be produced by Alden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I would go with the tan suede LWB from Leffot if you want a truly summer suede

thanks for replies. the tan lwb from Leffot are out of the question, both because i'm not a huge fan of the longwing and i've sworn off barrie lasted shoes.
post #48303 of 90153
Gave in & snagged the navy suede PTBs from needsupply.
Already have a pair of dark brown chukkas, so would like another color for variety.
They'll look just so killer with light chinos.
Also, I'll need to pick up laces... like the way Unionmade pictured them. Only difference is the laces.

post #48304 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingsheep View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Would you mind letting me know how much those ran you new? I've been lusting passionately after the Carmina saddle double monks but have heard good things about Meermin too. Any info you could provide would be very appreciated.



AldenxEpaulet Natural CXL Longwings for Friday.

+Snapseed, always.

I need Roy boots in a bad kinda way but then these are next I think. Always looking good dude icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

What do those look like in real light? The pictures from Epaulet are a lot less... attractive.
post #48305 of 90153
I would say the Epaulet pics are accurate to what natural CXL typically looks like.
It's a pull-up leather that can get easily abraded and discolors over time.
It's super durable and quickly develops a lot of character.
El Argentino's pic makes them look almost like tan LWBs, so far as color tone.
post #48306 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post


What do those look like in real light? The pictures from Epaulet are a lot less... attractive.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meso View Post

I would say the Epaulet pics are accurate to what natural CXL typically looks like.
It's a pull-up leather that can get easily abraded and discolors over time.
It's super durable and quickly develops a lot of character.
El Argentino's pic makes them look almost like tan LWBs, so far as color tone.

 

+1.  I'm a huge fan Nat CXL.  But I'm actually not a fan of how they look new.  As they age, a beautiful patina and character develops.

post #48307 of 90153


Wanted to show the C&J 325 (RL Marlow) vs Barrie (Alden LWB in Black Shell). The 325 is obviously better looking IMO, but runs shorter and slimmer - the heel is still somewhat wide.
post #48308 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post



Wanted to show the C&J 325 (RL Marlow) vs Barrie (Alden LWB in Black Shell). The 325 is obviously better looking IMO, but runs shorter and slimmer - the heel is still somewhat wide.

The Marlow never felt right in store but I much prefer their shape to the barrie LWB Anybody know how the Marlow PTB's fit in comparison?
post #48309 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Anybody know how the Marlow PTB's fit in comparison?

Consensus is a bit smaller/narrower than the wingtips. I would go TTS (or .5 above barrie) for the Marlow PTBs.
post #48310 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Think it was $491 plus $45 duties or so? Carmina is a nicer shoe but Meermin is a lot cheaper (Argentinean shell). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I did get to customize green / purple lining and Band of Outsiders red / blue sole


Would have gotten the carminas but the only place selling them marks it up way too much for me

and edit: Meermin price was lower than it is now I think

Thanks for the details - the customization on those is great. Definitely going to be looking more heavily at Meermin. Gotta respect my own country's shell efforts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingsheep View Post

I need Roy boots in a bad kinda way but then these are next I think. Always looking good dude icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Thanks man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

What do those look like in real light? The pictures from Epaulet are a lot less... attractive.

I feel naked posting this picture, but here are mine from this morning, unadjusted:



They definitely start out like the Epaulet images. They're between a light beige and even a grey color. But they start to tan and darken upon their first wear. I am a "brusher" and that burnishes them quite a bit fairly quickly.

I like the color to start and I like how it ages, so I'm definitely a fan overall. Here are a few pics fresh out of the box before any wear or color adjustments.




AppleMark
AppleMark

post #48311 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Would you mind letting me know how much those ran you new? I've been lusting passionately after the Carmina saddle double monks but have heard good things about Meermin too. Any info you could provide would be very appreciated.

I'd stay far away from Meermin...I know they're SF darlings but the shoe is basically Made in China, and I know that its not always a qualification for poor quality, but, well, in my mind I will always associate Made in China with poor quality. I know the Carminas are significantly more, but to me its worth it to know that the $$ spent is not going to some underpaid factory worker. Its one of the reasons I turned to Alden, I know they treat their workers with respect. I have a feeling the Meermin shoes are basically shipped fully made to Spain, shoelaces are inserted and that makes them "Made in Spain".

Anyway, enough of my rant, my favorite boots on today:

Cold in NY today, but not as cold as the Mets will be tonight!
post #48312 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

Consensus is a bit smaller/narrower than the wingtips. I would go TTS (or .5 above barrie) for the Marlow PTBs.

Thanks. The Marlow WT didn't fit great TTS, it was a hair narrow in the toebox. That would lead me to believe I'd need a half size above my brannock for the PTB to fit. The Boston RL store didn't have my size in the PTB last i checked.

I may as well just stick to the Barrie last in favor of the RL Marlow. Now...where to find a cigar PTB...?
post #48313 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I would go with the tan suede LWB from Leffot if you want a truly summer suede

I was thinking about this too, but I feel like the snuff suede they have is rather light in color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

suede ptb vs suede swb: anyone have both and care to comment? considering canceling my "in production" order of snuff suede ptb's from NRO (who have been super helpful on the phone btw), and grabbing the snuff swb from j. gilbert. i'm afraid that i won't receive the ptb's from NRO before summer. only concern is the swb's would be a little too dressy for casual wear, but maybe not.



vs.


Been debating the top three (tan suede PTB instead), but will probably talk myself out of it and stick with calf/cordovan. I really like the SWB, but it might be a bit on the dressier casual side, idk. I was hoping someone would in the wild pics.
post #48314 of 90153
Not Alden, I know feelings are mixed on mcnairy, but for $219 you could do worse for a pair of navy LWBs.

http://www.endclothing.com/brands/mark-mcnairy-new-amsterdam/mark-mcnairy-dainite-sole-long-wing-brogue-2.html
post #48315 of 90153
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


I may as well just stick to the Barrie last in favor of the RL Marlow. Now...where to find a cigar PTB...?

What size are you looking for? Alden DC has some in stock as does Alden NY I believe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***