or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3203

post #48031 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I think everyone who has dealt with alden has experienced QC issues at some point. I agree the fact that it has become accepted and almost acceptable is discouraging. However I don't think all American manufacturing is as shotty. Ultimately Alden knows the masses will continue to buy their shoes, so why would they relegate any irregulars to seconds status? This is why it is important to choose the retailers you do business with wisely. Some like AOC have a sterling reputation for conducting their own QC to protect consumers.

Here's one example of a "first" that I find hard to believe anyone would purchase as a first. I received the below ravello PTBs from Alden DC. This is a shitty iPhone 3 picture in low indoor light. Take my word that the line was significantly more pronounced in person (I didn't take the time to take a great picture because I wasn't exactly thrilled), and there was an identical line on the other side of the same shoe. I didn't bother putting them on my feet, immediately shipped them back, and was out $25 total in shipping. Either no one looked at this shoe at the factory or retailer, or they really do think someone will buy them.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #48032 of 87513
washdc@aldenshoe.com
post #48033 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I think everyone who has dealt with alden has experienced QC issues...This is why it is important to choose the retailers you do business with wisely. Some like AOC have a sterling reputation for conducting their own QC to protect consumers.
I definitely echo this sentiment having had to exchange some shoes for obvious construction defects. I've had great luck in dealing personally with Kathy from Alden DC. I order over the phone and she gets the shoes and inspects them as we speak. Can't ask for much better service.
post #48034 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Hello teddy lovely belt and will go nicely with your unlined ptbs. Would you provide Alden DC email? I can't seem to find their address

Teddy?

washdc@aldenshoe.com
phone 202 347 2308

cheerio
Joachim
post #48035 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Here's one example of a "first" that I find hard to believe anyone would purchase as a first. I received the below ravello PTBs from Alden DC. This is a shitty iPhone 3 picture in low indoor light. Take my word that
the line was significantly more pronounced in person (I didn't take the time to take a great picture because I wasn't exactly thrilled), and there was an identical line on the other side of the same shoe. I didn't bother putting them on my feet, immediately shipped them back, and was out

$25 total in shipping. Either no one looked at this shoe at the factory or retailer, or they really do think someone will buy them.


I'm sorry for your loss papa, what's even worse is that they will be resold and someone else will likely share your experience at least until someone decides to keep them.
post #48036 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Here's one example of a "first" that I find hard to believe anyone would purchase as a first. I received the below ravello PTBs from Alden DC. This is a shitty iPhone 3 picture in low indoor light. Take my word that the line was significantly more pronounced in person (I didn't take the time to take a great picture because I wasn't exactly thrilled), and there was an identical line on the other side of the same shoe. I didn't bother putting them on my feet, immediately shipped them back, and was out $25 total in shipping. Either no one looked at this shoe at the factory or retailer, or they really do think someone will buy them.

LOL! Are the "flaws" you mention really Alden or is it a characteristic of shell?

I think we should have an Alden Support Group thread for when all of this self pitty starts to go around.
post #48037 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Really doesn't speak well for American manufacturing especially at this price point. I wonder if I just pay less attention when I am spending less.

Personally, doesn't matter how much time has passed I will still care about the imperfections.

Disagree completely. Allen Edmonds blows Alden away in customer service and standing behind their products. There's a reason Allen Edmonds is opening multiple stores in China and Alden only had retail partners. Honestly Alden needs a guy in there who knows what he's doing. These customer arrive, supply chain, and communications are the Rule at Alden, not the exception.
post #48038 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


Really doesn't speak well for American manufacturing especially at this price point. I wonder if I just pay less attention when I am spending less.

Personally, doesn't matter how much time has passed I will still care about the imperfections.

 

It might be do to the fact that Alden is a union factory. Some of the workers may not feel any incentive to do a good job since it's difficult to be fired and they will be paid the same either way. 

post #48039 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

It might be do to the fact that Alden is a union factory. Some of the workers may not feel any incentive to do a good job since it's difficult to be fired and they will be paid the same either way. 

tinfoil.gif
lol
post #48040 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

Disagree completely. Allen Edmonds blows Alden away in customer service and standing behind their products. There's a reason Allen Edmonds is opening multiple stores in China and Alden only had retail partners. Honestly Alden needs a guy in there who knows what he's doing. These customer arrive, supply chain, and communications are the Rule at Alden, not the exception.

Why do you continually come into an Alden thread and talk about how superior AE is? That is at least 3 or 4 posts in the last few days..
post #48041 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Why do you continually come into an Alden thread and talk about how superior AE is? That is at least 3 or 4 posts in the last few days..
Maybe dude likes Alden but cannot afford them? Not a crilme to window shop.

Does AE do Whiskey or Ravello?
post #48042 of 87513
Do Alden for other brands have tighter quality control (big guys, like BB/JCrew), how about for smaller retailers, like Leather Soul/Leffot/Epaulet, etc.? At least I know it's relatively easy to get BB/Jcrew to exchange things.
post #48043 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

Do Alden for other brands have tighter quality control (big guys, like BB/JCrew), how about for smaller retailers, like Leather Soul/Leffot/Epaulet, etc.? At least I know it's relatively easy to get BB/Jcrew to exchange things.

That's an interesting question. I would assume not though otherwise we would be seeing a lot more irregulars and seconds popping up in my opinion.
post #48044 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Why do you continually come into an Alden thread and talk about how superior AE is? That is at least 3 or 4 posts in the last few days..
Let the non believers post with their little buckets of sand. Of course there're things we'd all change about Alden, but when they get it right and you find a pair that fits your foot it's freakin' awesome.
post #48045 of 87513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I'm sorry for your loss papa, what's even worse is that they will be resold and someone else will likely share your experience at least until someone decides to keep them.

Yeah, I wonder how many iterations it will take until someone keeps them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post

LOL! Are the "flaws" you mention really Alden or is it a characteristic of shell?

I think we should have an Alden Support Group thread for when all of this self pitty starts to go around.

To some extent it is the nature of shell and the shell color. For example, I decided to keep some #8 Tankers that have a coloring imperfection (see this post). On those, there aren't any straight lines that distinguish the lighter color from the darker color, so it's possible that it's a natural imperfection. There's also a small dark line that could be natural or due to mishandling.

Here's a separate pair of ravello PTBs from Alden NY that had a straight line like the other ravello PTBs I posted. To me, a straight line suggests a human-created defect. I imagine that either of these ravello examples might have been passable if the color was instead cigar, #8, or black.



I previously decided not to post these pictures to this thread, but figured it was appropriate to give an idea of the shoes I've seen pass as first quality. I'm sure all Alden shells have some degree of imperfection, and you kind of have to decide where you draw the line. Like BeSpiffington said, when they get it right, Aldens are awesome.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***