Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3199
Styleforum Top Picks
Not chukka on Leydon last but a nice makeup on Barrie just arrived at LS:
This is interesting - my 8.5D JCrew Cap Toe Boots are actually smaller in exterior dimension/circumference than my 8D LWBs. Both are Barrie last.
Interior feels about the same.
I know a lot depends on the width of the welt and the LWB have a really wide welt. But still interesting that an 8.5D is be smaller than an 8D.
This seems to be a theme for Barrie lasted high boots. For example, my 11 D Tankers on the Barrie appear to fit similarly to 10.5 D and 11 C PTBs on the Barrie.
RE: Alden quality control (or lack thereof) - you ain't kidding!
I went to Alden SF on my lunch break today and took a close look at 3 pairs of LWBs, every one had some form of small defect or another!
-One pair had a deep hammer tap imprint on the sole edge (that would only be able to be remedied when you have them resoled).
-One pair had pretty bad Color 8 uneven dye issues. Quite noticeable in indoor lighting and would be very noticeable out in the sun.
-One pair had some stitch holes right along a stitch seam where it looked like they messed up and then went back and re-sewed.
IMO, all three pairs should have been rejected as seconds, not first run quality.
The guys at the store said that one one pair is usually never absolutely perfect yet there can be varying degrees of imperfections. They also do not allow you to pick one shoe from one box and swap it with another box. This is likely because then they would end up with one pair where each shoe had some defect. From what I saw, usually only one shoe had some form of defect.
They were quite nice about it, had no problems letting me examine all of the pairs in my size they had in stock, and said on any of them I could get a refund or exchange if I decided I couldn't live it with after I got them home (as long as they were not worn).
On the one hand, when paying so much for a new pair of shoes, you want them to be virtually perfect. On the other hand, it is true that once you wear them for a few months, usually you start not really caring the about imperfections any more.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 40 seconds ago
- › NWOT sports jackets! Size US36/EU46, 38/48, Sartoria Formosa,... 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 6 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 7 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 8 minutes ago
- › NWT M size, Gray and navy John Smedley long sleeves cardigans, 100%... 10 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. 14 minutes ago
- › ***FS: STAPLE Unis Gio Chino Trousers Size 32 Stone & Pale Blue NWT... 15 minutes ago
- › J.P. Marcellino custom briefcase - construction progress (review in... 17 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...